Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

Wayno

I've got Gravity on my side
How old are you? 36

What state do you live? Central Coast NSW

How long have you been riding? I believe about 31 years

Whats styles of riding do you do? XC, DH, DJ, and Road

How often do you ride? no where as much as I want to

Tell us about your bike/s? Soma Groove Steel frame XC Bike, Giant Glory DH Bike (at the moment), Atomlab Pimplite DJ, and Soma Smoothie Road bike

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Heaps of them biggest one is when I broke my ankle in 02

Do you compete and at what level? Yes DH in the vets class (Masters 1-2) a couple of 6 & 8 hour events but nothing serious

Any cycling highights worth posting? 2004 1st NSW State Champs, 2004 3rd National Rnd 3, 2005 2nd NSW State Champs, 2006 3rd overall NSW State Series, 2009 3rd overall NSW State Series

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General MTB Discusion, Downhill, NSWMTB, Clubs

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Land owners who think just because they own land that backs on to a State forest, they should be able to dictate how the forest is to be used by the club who pays a lease to use the land. Fuck them

Last edited:

Monks

Likes Dirt
Hi All, long time lurker posting now. Want to get myself a 29er, and this place seems to be the place to be.

How old are you? 33
What state do you live? VIC
How long have you been riding? Since about 3
Whats styles of riding do you do? Commute
How often do you ride? 3 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Seek S Modded, Surly Steam Roller, Want to get a 29er
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? 1 x Broken arm, selected cuts bruises
Do you compete and at what level? Nope, but life is a daily competition
Any cycling highlights worth posting? Watching a guy instructing a rowing crew on the yarra cycling along, misjudged the curve in the track and he rode straight in to the yarra.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Fixed.org. australian cycling forums
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Sh!t drivers. doesn't matter if I'm driving or riding. There is nothing worse.

VK2GOM

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 38... 39 in Nov 2010.

What state do you live? NSW W Sydney suburbs

How long have you been riding? First rode a 2 wheel bike (Raleigh Pirate) unaided about 4yrs old, lots of bikes through teens, and a lot were home built, lots of MTB action until about 26 or 27 when had a big stack at Chicksands in the UK and nearly died, kind of put me off a bit! Still got the scar to prove it. I tell girls it's a gun-shot wound :cool:

Whats styles of riding do you do? Have done road, XC, pseudo-downhill (hardtail) and about 10mins on a BMX when I was about 15 to win one race.

How often do you ride? I made a new years resolution in 2010 to ride every day even just round the block on the road. Up to now in July, have been out about 20 times!

Tell us about your bike/s? Currently building a new bike - Stinky '07 frame, '08 Boxxer Race, Roco shock, Mavic D521's, Hayes 8" rear Avid 8" front, Hope Pro II rear hub, WTB Super Duty front, direct mount bar, lock on grips, very old LX rear derraileur, old LX crankset.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Yes - arm pierced by blunt end of brake lever when going over the bars downhill. Ripped arm open, 5mm either way was between two main arteries.

Do you compete and at what level? No, but would like to do at least ONE DH run as a 'Vet' (and come last no doubt!) before I get too old. Any pointers/advice welcome!

Any cycling highights worth posting? Absolutely none whatsoever! Saw the Tour de France go past once! Went to Canberra and watched old man Peaty win the DH - another (old) Brit, Yay!

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General, and For Sale forum - very useful for tracking down bits I need.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? The influence of the 'green' mentality regarding riding off-road. Where I come from in the UK, you can pretty much ride anywhere on public land where there are thousands of tracks/trails to use. There are no silly 'soil erosion management plans' or 'environmental impact statements' to address. Hate to say it, but as far as MTB goes in Australia they are thoroughly wrapped up in over-the-top red tape. There is plenty of land out there, and we should be able to use it. Our loss, crazy greenies gain.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Where I come from in the UK, you can pretty much ride anywhere on public land where there are thousands of tracks/trails to use. There are no silly 'soil erosion management plans' or 'environmental impact statements' to address. Hate to say it, but as far as MTB goes in Australia they are thoroughly wrapped up in over-the-top red tape. There is plenty of land out there, and we should be able to use it. Our loss, crazy greenies gain.[/B]
:):):)
Next Wednesday I am moving to Wales for 2 1/2 years for work. I'm so excited to hear what you've just said above. My biggest dilemma at this point is which of the 2 bikes in my sig to take.
I'm leaning towards the RIP9 at this stage.
Totally agree with your statement though regarding our environmental rules.
Whats the point in having all this awesome land if you can't damn use it?
If its so bloody fragile that you can't ride or walk through it on a trail 1 foot wide, then what are we meant to do with it ... just observe it from an aeroplane!
Cheers mate.

C V

Squid
How old are you? 33
What state do you live? Country Vic.
How long have you been riding? about 29 years.
What styles of riding do you do? BMX racing (20+ years) 1st DH race in 2 weeks.
How often do you ride? Not enough.
Tell us about your bike/s? RMX Rockymountian R1.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Been lucky, just some cuts and bruises.
Do you compete and at what level? DH really soon, age and Vet Pro for BMX.
Any cycling highlights worth posting? MTB, none yet. BMX, countless state title finalist, 3x Australian finalist.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? New here so still looking around.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Bad drivers/snow traffic.

Bodin

GMBC
How old are you?
Just going to say that I was born in Nov 74 - still can't face writing my actual age.

What state do you live?
Victoria

How long have you been riding?
Rode my Madison BMX everywhere as a kid. Gave up all sport as a rebellious teenager. Bought a commuter bike for my 21st birthday, which got stolen and was replaced by an MTB. The love affair began...

Whats styles of riding do you do?
Commute on my original rigid 26" MTB. Train on my all-carbon, all Dura-Ace roadie, trail ride with mates on my 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (26") and race everything from short track XC to 100km point-to-point on my hardtail 29er (currently a Giant XTC - will get something custom and beautiful one day).

How often do you ride?
Routine is not possible when you have a full time job, toddler daughter and a full time Flight Attendant for a wife. I just ride when I can. A good month for me is 60+ hours on the bike(s) and a bad month is anything less than 20.

Tell us about your bike/s?
Sort of did above, but a good sign of how much older I'm getting is that I sold my DH bike a couple of weeks ago. I just can't see myself taking those kinds of risks any more...

Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
Had a car pull out in front of me on the way home from work in Sept 07 and landed on my left shoulder. Now have a permanent A/C injury because it doesn't really impact my life in any way and I'm not a fan of surgery unless it's critical.

Do you compete and at what level?
The level I compete at is always a reflection of the training I've done, so it's been A-grade to sport and everything in between. This summer, I'm hoping to acquit myself reasonably in the Vets class in the Vic State XC series, but these fit 30 year old sandbaggers that should be racing elite always embarrass me.

Any cycling highights worth posting?
2004 Simpson Desert Cycle Challenge. I put in a solid 9 months of training and took 4th overall. The highlight was sharing a stage victory on Day 4 with the eventual winner - Jaap Viergever - 4-time Croc Trophy winner who was a past cyclocross World Champion. This was my one brush with what it might have been like to be an elite cyclist and I'll remember it forever.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
29er Forum - I'll take the credit for getting this one created. 29er riders had been asking for it for a long time, the 29er thread was getting too big to be useful for anyone and I put in the request to the boss (Scott) to get it done.
Post Your Ride - I love seeing what people put together and I love looking at bikes in general. have to admit, though, that I get a bit over looking at the massive proliferation of DJ/Urban bikes, as I still don't consider them "mountain" bikes - I'd much rather look at bikes with knobbly tires and realistic geometry that can actually take me places... like... mountains.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant?
Cars vs Bikes on the Road - it's a shared resource and the biggest problem is the lack of education. Whether they're behind a steering-wheel or a handlebar, most road users (including myself) are under-educated on the rules and under-assessed on their skills. I can't believe that I got my license 16 years ago and, since then, I've NEVER had to prove my competency in that entire time. How can that be realistic? How can you be sure that I've learned every single new rule or change in that time? How can you be sure that the driving test that I was assessed on 16 years ago is still relevant to today's traffic and vehicle types?

Forget the multi-million dollar advertising scare campaigns. Forget building ridiculous bike lanes where they create more problems than they solve. If you want to change road use for the better, you should require full license testing every four or five years for all drivers* and make a current First Aid certificate a compulsory pre-requisite before you can even apply for your license or renewal.

*For those too young to drive, parents and schools should be taking responsibility for teaching kids important things like where you can and can't ride a bike. My kid's not even 3 yet and she already knows where the footpath stops and the road starts. It's not hard.

Anyway, love riding - always have - and very proud to have been serving the farkin/rotorburn community since 2003 (moderator since 2004 or 2005). Happy trails everyone!

samjam

Likes Dirt
*HOW OLD ARE YOU...40

*STATE...QLD

*HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN RIDING...got back into riding in 2006.raced BMX as a kid until i was 15.never got on a bike again until 36 y/o.

*WHAT STYLE OF RIDING DO YOU DO...mostly trail and enduro stuff.B-line DH too is super fun.

*HOW OFTEN DO YOU RIDE...some afternoons after work but i have a trail at my back door and its a sunday ritual i do a few runs before my family wake up.

*TELL US ABOUT YOUR BIKE/S...SC nomad that started as a XC bike and morphed into a heavy trail bike.some call it a mini DH rig but i call it "just right for me"...also a 09 norco a-line for DH runs with mates.

*HAVE YOU HAD ANY SIGNIFICANT BIKE RELATED INJURIES?...i have had a couple of broken ribs and stitches etc but my worst is a severly fractured wallet.

*DO YOU COMPETE AND AT WHAT LEVEL?....YES,against myself and the stop watch.i prefer to help out at events so the sport can kick on in my area.

*ANY CYCLING HIGHLIGHTS WORTH POSTING...jnr BMX state #2 (early 80's lol) and riding DH lines with my beautiful wife.

*WHAT FORUMS DO YOU VISIT THE MOST ON ROTORBURN...post your ride and for sale.

*WHAT IS YOUR BIGGEST AND FAV RANT...i have a 7km trail i built here.it is on council land but no probs with them.it has nice berms and some small jumps.i just wish the kids would stop turning them into crankworks style jumps and also when i call for a "dig day" not one person will help other than the guy down the road who is a older fella too.other than that life is great.

Zekman

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 34 but if i go by my real age, I think I'm bout 8 1/2 this year
What state do you live? NSW, Jindabyne
How long have you been riding? About 30 yrs
Whats styles of riding do you do? Started on BMX as a kid then quickly got into DH from then on its been all downhill.
How often do you ride? Depends at the moment here its too cold for most( which sucks) but at least 3-4 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Giant Commadore(Glory) and Kona Shred for the moment
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? the best is fracturing T3 to T6 and tearing the muscle of my left shoulder, All from a lovely crash at Awaba off the side of the rock garden
Do you compete and at what level? I compete Vets level at state rounds and elite at club rounds
Any cycling highights worth posting? too many
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? none quick look around then onto my bike
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Again none too busy riding

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How old are you? 31

What state do you live? Nsw, near Gosford

How long have you been riding? 1 year

Whats styles of riding do you do? AM and DH/freeride

How often do you ride? two or three times a week

Tell us about your bike/s? 2008 Jamis Parker 3 and a 2009 Norco Aline DH

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No thank good

Do you compete and at what level? thinking about doing my first DH round at Ourimbah in two weeks

Any cycling highights worth posting? No :-(

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Downhill and Freeriding, at several others in the wateringhole

jimmy_

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 39
What state do you live? QLD
How long have you been riding? Dad gave me my first bike when i was 4 so about 35 years.
Whats styles of riding do you do? DH, XC/trail the occasional enduro, commuting to work
How often do you ride? try to ride every day
Tell us about your bike/s? Glory,stp, Superlight and a Masi CX
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? shattered my wrist a few years ago
Do you compete and at what level? Vets for DH and Enduros, but since my little Boy came along it's been harder to get to races
Any cycling highights worth posting? just happy to be riding, Racing and winning with my Wife this year at the OHV 3 x 3
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? mostly lurk

Last edited:

Old Shagger

Farkin Legend
Ha

How old are you? 45 (was 'Fatman that was' on Farkin..........)

What state do you live? NSW - just south of Wollongong

How long have you been riding? My body says to long - comeback is happening now.

Whats styles of riding do you do? DH, XCish cruising & riding round the lake with wife & kids.

How often do you ride? recently bugger all, intentions of 2-3 per week starting now.

Tell us about your bike/s? Balfa BB7 / Cannondale Gemini / Giant trance X1 / Gitane carbon roadie thing.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Yes, after all these years of racing/riding DH, i have a 2 yr break from DH, then organize a comeback DH and on the last run of the day, its all feeling sweet, enjoying the buzz and woops. Washout at the top of a drop, over da bars, bounce of the ground into the trees. 6 snapped ribs, bruised and scratched lungs(love the blood cough), bruised heart(not beating properly) and a screwed shoulder(AC poping out). Walk out of the bush was fun. That was November and now i am set for another sesh. Am i to old??

Do you compete and at what level? Not anymore but did All the State and plenty of National rounds for years in sport/Vets/masters. Been racing DH since Thredbo was basically a full fireroad decent with XTR canties/ and long travel(63mm)Mag21's.......

Any cycling highights worth posting? Never quick, always had fun. 3rd in State series a few ago.... Help build/run the 'Nundle' DH track races all those years ago that every1 loved was a highlite of many of the events/org i have dabbled.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Most things.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant
Young kids attitudes and rudeness at races/practice to us oldies, yes we are slower/not as talanted etc, but hay, we pay our money, and have done for many many years, and some of us have done a heap of stuff/organization behind the scenes to get DH to where it is today and some kids have no respect/patience. One of the main reasons i got ot of DH/race/club organization a few years ago.

Hope to see a few old faces soon...

Neil

Last edited:

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ahhh Old Shagger, your one tough bugger. You don't remember sweet FA about the walk out of the bush. You were telling us that once you got back up the top of the run you would do a shuttle and be right to go again.
We are looking to get that track back in order as it is grown over, but maybe we should start your DH comeback Mark II on a different track!!!!

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 38
What state do you live? Melbourne. Just moved down from Queensland so looking for new laid back riding buddies.
How long have you been riding? Bmx bandit as kid, about 5 years mtb
What styles of riding do you do? DH mainly. Have dabbled with the 6 hour thing in teams
How often do you ride? Most weekends.
Tell us about your bike/s? 08 norco a-line park with 2010 boxxer w/c and a few other tweeks. 06 jamis komodo ht.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? The usual cuts and scraps and soft tissue damage.
Do you compete and at what level? Yeah, sport class just for the fun of it. But haven't for a while due to life shit getting in the way.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Being involved with the planning and running of the 09 Qld state champs in Rockhampton.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General, Watering hole, For sale, Parts'n'stuff
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Bike snobs, we can't all afford the latest gold weaved carbon DHer with matching platnium helmet and riding gear. Get over yourselves and just ride for moment while you still can.

ronster44

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 46
What state do you live? NSW
How long have you been riding? I`m a born again rider 5 years
Whats styles of riding do you do? xc all mountain road
How often do you ride? as much as possible
Tell us about your bike/s? Norco Fuild/trek roadie
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Yes fractured scapular at the mont this year my first broken bone!!
Do you compete and at what level? Yes club HMBA xc b grade
Any cycling highights worth posting? Doing my first 24hr race the mont this year!
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Many
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Bogans

jrh

Likes Bikes
Age...48,well 49 too soon.
Live...cent west nsw.
Riding 4...about 15 yrs.
Style...mtb and road with not a lot of finesse but heaps of fun.
How often...the right amount at the right time.
My ride/s...cervelo r3, fisher roscoe2, giant 29er.
Injuries...bumps,bruises,scrapes and strains.
Racing...road mtb enduro.
Mentionable cyling highlights...watch this space.
Forums...xc/enduro,general,partsnstuff,4sale,girlsonly.
Rants...if its worth doing, its worth doing badly at first so don't tell me I can't. Life is short and getting shorter far 2 quickly.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 30
What state do you live? Albury, NSW
How long have you been riding?4 Years
Whats styles of riding do you do? Trail, Super D
How often do you ride?5 or 6 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? Merida One-Five-0 3800D and a hardtail
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Hit a tree trunk with my head, smashed my helmet and required weeks of physio to fix my neck and shoulder muscles. A new helmet was also required.
Do you compete and at what level? I make up the numbers a few times a year and just like to have fun. Events such as Angry Doctor/Nasty Nurse, Highland Fling and S.H.I.T.S.
Any cycling highights worth posting? I am the former NSW BMX champion. But that was back when BMX bandits was a good movie.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Parts, General and trail builders.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Cars who sit in the right lane and refuse to keep left on highways.

Cheers
Brock

digby69

Likes Bikes
Names Digby
I'm 41
I live in Albury NSW
Started riding 2.5 years ago
I ride xc/ trail/ DH
I don't ride enough. Maybe 2 to 7 hours a week
Glory dh1/ Reign xo/ KHS 204 are my steeds
Busted a couple of ribs nothing major
I compete in the local club races, and began doing VDHS this year
My main read is vets/downhill/phat vids
My rant is, If people must lie and talk shit to you, they should at least try to be good at it.

stu-2

Likes Dirt
stu-2

How old are you? 47

What state do you live? Tasmania

How long have you been riding? just getting started again

Whats styles of riding do you do? Trail,like to have a go at xc

How often do you ride? not much at the moment, just rpm classes

Tell us about your bike/s? 01 Giant ATX 840, just bought 2011 Scott scale 50.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? hell yea, broken eye socket, depressed & shattered cheek bone, cracked jaw, ruptured sinuses

Do you compete and at what level? no

Any cycling highights worth posting? no

TysonRomero

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 37
What state do you live? In a generally happy one thank you very much.
How long have you been riding? MTB for 21 years.
What styles of riding do you do? XC, commuting, road, touring.
How often do you ride? Most days
Tell us about your bike/s? There are 6 that work and a few that don't.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Yes.
Do you compete and at what level? The odd enduro or 24 hr in a team.
Any cycling highights worth posting? A few years ago I was so chuffed with myself about riding some trails one-legged for a couple of km's (as the other one was broken) that I bought myself a mobile phone as a present.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? PYR, For sale, Parts'n'stuff, XC/Enduro
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Most flavours of ignorance and intolerance can wind me up.

Last edited:

Norco Maniac

Is back!
newbie intro

How old are you? i'm almost 46

What state do you live? NSW

How long have you been riding? spent a year on my bike to do State Titles in 2004, took time off to get divorced, build a couple of cars, get a new mortgage, and deal with health issues.

Whats styles of riding do you do? BMX Cruiser

How often do you ride? twice a week doing laps of my home track for fitness, once a week racing.

Tell us about your bike/s? pretty much a stock '03 Norco Speed Metal 24", X-drive 180mm cranks, Redline cruiser low bars, Answer Alumlite forks, Tioga tyres, VP-133 cleat pedals. nothing fancy.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? to get to State Titles in '04 i partially tore my right AC joint twice, cracked three ribs, two concussions, and partially tore my collarbone at the sternum. first night back at racing i took a mojor dive in the mud on the first corner, cracked two ribs and partially dislocated them at the spine. my chiropractor just shakes his head at me now :D

Do you compete and at what level? back at comp, racing (well tailing :p) the men because there's no female cruiser riders in my club. looking to do two comps before Christmas this year.

Any cycling highights worth posting? i was pretty pleased to get 4NSW my first time at States, against riders 7+ years younger.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? just new here, i'm sure you'll hear more from me :p

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? kids who line up on the jumps of our track and just sit there, blocking the track for other riders. the worst part is, most of these kids aren't even club racers, just local kids who chew up our track and don't contribute to the maintainence of it. /rant over

Last edited: