Hello! Welcome! Who are you?

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How old are you? 43.

What state do you live? NSW.

How long have you been riding? bmx '78-'85, work hard and get fat '86-'02, bmx '03, started mtb riding while still on a walking stick after bmx crash - mid '04.

Whats styles of riding do you do? pretty much all. mainly XC and road with a bit of trials at the moment. just dusted off the DJ machine so might get back to the 4x track soon.

How often do you ride? generally 4-5 days per week.

Tell us about your bike/s? Titus Fireline 29er SS seems to be the only bike these days, Speci Enduro (the brown bike....the one true bike), Surly 1x1 fixed, Speci Epic, Speci SX Trail, Evil DOC, Evil Imperial, Trek Madone, Orbea Aqua, Soma Rush Fixie, Avanti Pista Pro track bike, Speci S-works 24", Echo Pure Trials bike. + a collection of Old School BMX bikes.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? got off the couch in '03. raced the ACT bmx champs, the Aussie Bmx champs, The World bmx champs, half the NSW bmx champs. The other half of the NSW champs I spent in hospital with a smashed Tibia and Tibial plateau. Spent 2.5 weeks in hospital, 2 months on crutches and 6 months on a walking stick and now have a constantly painful leg full of screws and plates and athritis. :( but, it did lead me to mtb'ing. :):)
others - broken collar bone, broken ribs, dislocated shoulder.

Do you compete and at what level? mainly endurance and stage races these days when I can be arsed.

Any cycling highights worth posting? no

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? xc / enduro, downhill, road and track.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? i hate moralising do-gooders. "mind your own business! I also have views on you and your behaviour but am not so arrogant as to press them onto you, noting that you have not asked for my opinion." would be the gist of my fav rant.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
Great! A forum for old farts reliving the good ol' days when we used to ride 25km to school each day... in the snow... and we were barefoot... and it was uphill... both ways...

How old are you? 38

What state do you live? Blue Mountains NSW

How long have you been riding? MTB since 1992

Whats styles of riding do you do? XC/Enduros

How often do you ride? Commute 4-5 days a week. Only get out on the MTB once a month if I'm lucky... :(

Tell us about your bike/s? KHS Solo One 29er for commuting / Lenz Leviathan 29er for MTB

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? No - does that make me soft?

Do you compete and at what level? Against myself at the occasional 100km enduro

Any cycling highights worth posting? Every ride is a highlight

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? XC/Enduro, 29er mainly

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? My favourite cycling rants are the lack of respect shown to cycling commuters by motorists and people who like to stroke their own ego by talking s*** all the time

First MTB?
'92 Diamond Back Topanga with 300LX components, rigid fork and cantilever brakes... ahhh.... the good ol' days... :D

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Gender discrimination in the sport. I would love to watch more of the girls riding in the videos, but there are barely any to be had.

Also just generally. Guys will be nice to your face when you are riding and encouraging, but you only have to flick through these forums briefly to see that riding in Australia is generally a sausage party.

The comments I really dislike are when one guy calls out to the other saying “you ride like a girl” or something to that effect. What is wrong with riding like a girl? I ride like a girl and I ride better than a lot of guys. Those sorts of comments just make you feel really unwelcome – that you are an outsider and always will be.

Also with the Vets forum: you’ll notice that the very first post was written in a way that assumed that only “blokes” could be vets (“blokes” being a term not usually applied to older females). Yes, you could say that the girls have their very own forum, but all the other forums are very heavily male dominated. Why does this one have to continue with the “no women here” theme?

I’m really glad for the girls who just ignore this and try to be a part of the bike community. But it is fustrating – it is hard to get girls to ride when the guys continually reinforce the notion (in various subtle ways) that riding is "boys time".
This is my new favourite post :D

MrsH

Likes Dirt
I thought I answered the questions already but apparently not..
How old are you? closer to 30 than 40 (just)
What state do you live? Victoria
How long have you been riding? since Sept 09
Whats styles of riding do you do? slow XC
How often do you ride? Not often enough, I try for weekly but life gets in the way
Tell us about your bike/s? (sexy) Specialized Myka frame with the 'bits' of my Avanti Montari
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Not so far.
Do you compete and at what level? Apart from with hubby for time on the bike? (we have a 4 yo so take it in turns) Nope.
Any cycling highlights worth posting? Skills Clinic @ Mt Buller with Caroline Buchanan was awesome :)
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?Girls, XC, lurk in others..
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? I try not to rant too much.. really!

Old Yella

Cannon Fodder
Great forum. Hi all, this is my first reply on Rotorburn fairly new to it

How old are you? 47

What state do you live? Vic (outside of Ballarat)

How long have you been riding? 6 years

Whats styles of riding do you do? DH

How often do you ride? As much as I can

Tell us about your bike/s? Still on Kona Stinky Supreme (the tank)

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? 4 broken ribs in 2006 and 2 broken vertebrea in 2008.

Do you compete and at what level? Never raced

Any cycling highights worth posting? Any time I stay upright is a highlight and now riding with my boy

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? MTB General, Downhill, Watering hole

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? No time for people who litter

Last edited:

ezrider

Likes Bikes
How old are you? almost fourty
What state do you live? Queensland
How long have you been riding? started as a kid then again 3 or 4 years ago
What styles of riding do you do? XC/AM/DH
How often do you ride? 2 or 3 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? yeti 575 (08) ,243 ss dirt jumper/street bike,banshee scythe and banshee legend mk II and a gay yellow roadie (was a mates bike and too big but good keep the wheels turning in wet weather)
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? torn knee ligiment and internal damage required scope op, Broke lower bones off spine no op but hospital 1 week and bed ridden 6 weeks off work 3 months ,Broke wrist in 9 bits needed 2 opps another 12 weeks broken no work/riding, other than that a few stiches and bruises nothing a little cement did not fix...
Do you compete and at what level? shit No have a go at my record to date. Soul/Social rider
Any cycling highights worth posting? Did the Clyde to hyde rail trail in NZ with my wife and 9 yo daughter
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? PYR, General, DH, For sale, Parts'n'stuff and now the vets
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Driver / rider intolerance and people telling me i am lucky.....WTF LUCK PLAYS NO PART IN THE TOYS I HAVE ,I F--KING WORK FOR A LIVING....DO YOU GET THAT .......D--KH--D...

gillie

Squid
How old are you? 36
What state do you live? Tas
How long have you been riding? 5 yrs
Whats styles of riding do you do? All Mountain/XC
How often do you ride? 2-4 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? 2010 Giant Reign 0
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? knocked myself out cold from hitting a tree head first, Dislocated my finger on another dam tree, cracked tailbone going over bars from hitting a big rock that was covered in snow, loads of other small injuries from falling off from grazes to big bruises!
Do you compete and at what level? Nope
Any cycling highights worth posting? just all the times when i manage to ride up a hill that i once walked up with the bike. best feeling ever conquering another hill.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? just browse usually for hints, tips, prices etc... long term reader short term poster!
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? There is something wrong with my bike guys. i need to buy/fix/replace 'XYZ' part but in the meantime i am walking up this hill.... :)

Exie

Likes Dirt
Wow! I never thought of myself as a Vet.! haha

How old are you?
What state do you live?
VIC
How long have you been riding?
3 years
Whats styles of riding do you do?
XC/AM
How often do you ride?
1-2 week
Tell us about your bike/s?
Only allowed 1 bike - Moots Cinco
Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
Yep, broke 2 ribs riding DH at Maldon.
Do you compete and at what level?
Nup, not fit enough or competitive enough
Any cycling highights worth posting?
Riding in around NZ
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
General Discussion, Parts 'n stuff

Last edited:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 39

How long have you been riding? All my life

What style of riding do you do? Used to be quite techo, but now I'm a bit more relaxed and flowing. Really like to be in control all the time! ;)

How often do you ride? Most days

Tell us about your bike/s? They are all sexy as hell, using the best components!

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Depends what you call significant... but I've never had an injury that has kept me off the bike for more than a month. *touching wood now*

Do you compete and at what level? Yes, race my age group. Now doing Downhill

Any cycling highights worth posting? Constantly amazed by how much you can still progress your riding as you get older. Did my first ever 5m gap jump on Clear Mtn on the weekend! [oh I suppose, got the fastest clocked speed in the Noosa Tri 1997 - 91km/h down the 'big hill', but didn't get the mention cause I tied with one of the Pro's that was racing. Hmmm in Lycra Speedos too.]

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Surf all of them.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant?

1. Commuters who ride a $500 shitter to work everyday, while their $75,000 BMW sits in a garage at home Mon to Fri. Why not have a $5,000 awesome bike to ride everyday and forego the reverse parking sensors. People still dont get it! :mad:

2. OK - how much your bike weighs. Who gives a shit. Most people who are trying to save weight on their bike should take a big look at themselves first! I know where you can save a kilo mate!

Last edited:

ajp

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 33

How long have you been riding? Most of my life but seriously since 2003.

What style of riding do you do? XC, gravity oriented single track and commuting

How often do you ride? At least 4-5 days a week.

Tell us about your bike/s? pictures say a thousand words.

09 SC Nomad.

09 SC Chameleon

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Broken scafoid and a broken radius in the in the wrist area, in seperate incidents. I have also taken more bark off than i care to remember.

Do you compete and at what level? Yes, race my age group. No.

Any cycling highights worth posting? On most rides there is a highlight.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? Lurker on most.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Not all skinheads are racist.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Hehe, I just made it.

How old are you?
31 in Dec
What state do you live?
QLD (5 mins from Moggill Forest / Brisbane Forest Park), previously NSW (5 mins from Mt Keira)
How long have you been riding?
Mtb since '94, so around 16 years
What styles of riding do you do?
XC
How often do you ride?
Once a week (renovating house so time is limited)
Tell us about your bike/s?
2004 Avanti Barracuda for myself and 2008 Giant Boulder Disc for the other half
Have you had any significant bike related injuries?
No. Nearly broke my arm when I locked my front brake going down the uni track but since it wasn't a break it doesn't count
Do you compete and at what level?
No
Any cycling highlights worth posting?
No
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn?
Off Topic (participant), XC/enduro (spectator)
Whats your biggest or favourite rant?
Politics. Don't get me started :p

babington

Squid
How old are you? 39 second year running.
What state do you live? Smart State.
How long have you been riding? Only just got my drivers license so around 30 years with little breaks here and there.
What style of riding do you do? Commute, XC, Street, DH, 4X and many moons ago Flatland BMX.
How often do you ride? Varies between 3-5 days per week depending on mates brownie point scores.
Tell us about your bikes. 09 Giant Trance X1 for commuting/XC, 06 Kona Coiler for all jobs too big for the Trance, 08 Ironhorse Sunday WC specifically for the gravity runs.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Multiple rib fractures and just recently fractured wrist... do hurty knees count?
Do you compete and at what level Nope, never touch the stuff.
Any cycling highlights worth posting? Spending 4 weeks at Whistler...? Post ride beers with mates.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on Rotorburn? Downhill, The Watering Hole, Parts 'n Stuff, Coffs Harbours Downhill.
What's your biggest or favourite rant? When the XC bandit wants to buy a DH rig yet wants to ride it back up... its called Downhill for a reason!

Cranks

Squid
How old are you? 34
What state do you live? Western Australia
How long have you been riding? 3.5 years
What styles of riding do you do? BMX 4X DH
How often do you ride? 3-4 times a week
Tell us about your bike/s? GHP 20' GHP cruiser borrowed a Cheeto DH now in the market
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? broken right collar bone twice 7 ribs and cracked right knee cap
Do you compete and at what level? National titles BMX and play on 4X and DH tracks
Best racing result? 3WA on 30-34 cruiser
Favorite quote? Skins overrated ;)

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 38

What state do you live? Vic

How long have you been riding? On a bike - since I was 6. Mtb with interest for over 10 years ....

What style of riding do you do? Commute, XC, road.

How often do you ride? Commute 2-3 days/week. Weekends for mtb or road ride.

Tell us about your bikes. Jamis Dragon Comp steel HT, Kona Kapu steel roadie, Avanti Barracuda commuterised

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nup

Do you compete and at what level Annual enduro. Slow.

Any cycling highlights worth posting? Every mtb ride. Watched road worlds last year in Mendrisio, Switzerland. Rode around Lake Como Italy on roadie. Watching pro mtb race through streets of Prague. Every coffee before/after/during a ride.

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on Rotorburn? XC/Enduro, road

What's your biggest or favourite rant? My family.

Sparkman

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 46

What state do you live? Qld

How long have you been riding? about 18 years

Whats styles of riding do you do? AM/DH... more DH though

How often do you ride? once a week

Tell us about your bike/s? 09 Glory DH1, 08 Reign X1, a couple of old '98 Spec FSR's

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? A head injury about 15 years ago, stitches in my chin and now a fractured rib. Plenty of scrapes as well.

Do you compete and at what level? Did the 04 Sunshine series DH...

Any cycling highights worth posting? Raced the 24hours of Canaan in the US... an awesome track

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? DH, for sale, parts'n'stuff, general, now vets.

Whats your biggest or favourite rant? No rant, just want to keep pushing myself and have fun.

demodv8

Likes Dirt
How old are you? 53 years young
What state do you live? sydney's northern beaches NSW
How long have you been riding? about 4yrs Whats styles of riding do you do?AM and a bit of DH
How often do you ride? try to ride couple of times a week after work if its not to dark
Tell us about your bike/s? Santacruz Bullit with Totems and Hamerschmits good allround bike
Have you had any significant bike related injuries?NO and I want to keep it that way
Do you compete and at what level? club rounds x2 with my son he's 12 we both started this year looking to do more rounds next year .Not many riders over 50 or are they like me and can't use a computer. see you all out there
cheers Tony

axie

Likes Bikes
How old are you? 30

What state do you live? NSW

How long have you been riding? I raced BMX from 12 - 17. Jumped on a MTB 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.

What styles of riding do you do? XC

How often do you ride? Three to four times per week.

Tell us about your bike/s? '08 Trance with XT running gear. A new set of toys should arrive soon.

Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nothing since I quit bmx all those years ago.

Do you compete and at what level? Not yet. First race will be in about a month.

Any cycling highlights worth posting?

What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? General, Parts n stuff, Off Topic, XC, and the club pages.

What's your biggest or favourite rant? Labor. Unions. Why people, why?!

Beechie

Banned
How old are you? 55+++++
What state do you live? NSW
How long have you been riding? 85,193.72 kms
What styles of riding do you do? XC styleless and clueless, have perfected falling
How often do you ride? MTB 5 times a week, wife ditto (dreaming)
Tell us about your bike/s? Cannondale HT, Cannondale HT, Scott Scale 10, Meridas - team 96 and carbon 96, Trek carbon duallie, 2 ugh roadies
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nah - break a helmet every second year knocking myslef out - may explain this post?
Do you compete and at what level? Yes - very, very slowly, but always finish - usually after the event organisers have packed up. Timing for me is by a calendar.
Any cycling highights worth posting? Got a podium or two in the last two years.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? XC and now vets
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Uninformed Rotorburners

Bjorn

Likes Dirt
G'Day Oldtimers

How old are you? 40
What state do you live? Victoria
How long have you been riding? 28 years, that's why I'm so tired. Boom Boom! 32years; I forgot about my Malvern Star Hi Riser; how could I forget that red beauty. Bought my first MTB in 1990 and fell in love.
Whats styles of riding do you do? Pretty unstylish in all my riding, but I'll have a crack at anything.
How often do you ride? Nowhere near as often as I'd like; family & uni will do that to you.
Tell us about your bike/s? Some have gears and some don't.
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Broken bones; 1 on pushies; 6 on motorcycles.
Do you compete and at what level? Not at the moment, due to finances.
Any cycling highights worth posting? On my way to my MTB guiding ticket as part of my degree. Survived a couple of years as a courier. Update: Got my Guide ticket. Will do Instruct next year.
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? XC and Enduro, but none lately.
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? People who take it all a bit too seriously. People who can't drive well. People who want to impose their world-view on me; can't you just accept that my way is correct? I've got more, but that will do.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
How old are you? 49
How long have you been riding? 20+ years
Whats styles of riding do you do? XC and AM mostly
How often do you ride? Weekly and weakly!
Tell us about your bike/s? 08 Rize 4 with full XT (I prefer mineral oil hydraulics), bar ends, crosstrails, Hope rotors and 2.35/2.0 Larsens
Have you had any significant bike related injuries? Nothing worth mentioning but I fall off regularly so anything could happen
Do you compete and at what level? No
Any cycling highights worth posting? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, no
What forums/subforums do you visit the most on rotorburn? a few here and there
Whats your biggest or favourite rant? Drivers that ignore stop signs and those who cannot keep between the lines, how hard is it people? Not very, just try, please!

Last edited: