Electric Vehicles etc

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
There is no contest anymore, soz. Petrol is over.
For emissions focused driving, yes. For incredible but soulless straight line acceleration, yes. For anything involving spirited cornering? Well there's some electrified exceptions to the rule. But I'm not convinced by the relevance of linking vids of £2 million playthings. You planning to buy one?

Unless you're prepared to accept a very short range (ie: a hillclimb/motokhana specific built vehicle) current battery tech is quite heavy.

Your argument to me feels a lot like the 70's "my V8 is bigger than your V8" bravado wrapped with environmental benefits. Doesn't mean a 1970 Dodge Charger is going to beat a Caterham 7 around a racetrack or winding mountain road.

Great you've found your religion - but much like anything there are pros AND cons to everything.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
What @beeb said. I'd actually quite like a car that comes in at under 1.6 tonnes given the associated reduction of wear and tear to tyres, suspension, basically everything really. Not really an option at the mo unless I want to drop several house deposits on one.

I get that EV is the undisputed ruler of the future but the tech is not there yet to supplant ICE in its entireity. But I've also just watched several family members purchase some pricey new electrical motoring recently, so what do I know.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
More proof petrol is dumb.

Electric cars maybe faster (and petrol cars pollute etc), but electric cars are about as exciting as watching paint dry IMO.

The only thing that makes that video watchable is the glorious sound of the ICE car.

IMO of course.

EDIT: Haakers already said what I posted

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For emissions focused driving, yes. For incredible but soulless straight line acceleration, yes. For anything involving spirited cornering? Well there's some electrified exceptions to the rule. But I'm not convinced by the relevance of linking vids of £2 million playthings. You planning to buy one?

Unless you're prepared to accept a very short range (ie: a hillclimb/motokhana specific built vehicle) current battery tech is quite heavy.

Your argument to me feels a lot like the 70's "my V8 is bigger than your V8" bravado wrapped with environmental benefits. Doesn't mean a 1970 Dodge Charger is going to beat a Caterham 7 around a racetrack or winding mountain road.

Great you've found your religion - but much like anything there are pros AND cons to everything.
There is a twin engine (whatever it is called) model 3 in the club. Pretty much fastest car in the sprints or at worst top 3. Usually faster than a 900hp R35 or time attack evo VII. The owner did spend more on suspension, forged BBS wheels and slicks than my car cost. It is just under 2s in 56 faster than me. I am the only one in the top 10 that has a stock engine and races on the tyres the car drives to the track on.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub

I'd have to agree.
Electric is the future, but it still doesn't cover all bases just yet. There's still limits with towing, and I'm not convinced Tesla is all that truthful (or just using tricky terminology) with the Tesla Semi. Battery is also an issue in very cold climates and with places with where the charging infrastructure is limited. There's also the factor of the comparison in purchase price compared to an ICE vehicle in the same segment.
We are certainly not at point today where we all could just simple swap over to electric at the drop of a hat. It will still take about a decade for every part of the transportation market to be covered with a comparable electric alternative.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Electric cars maybe faster (and petrol cars pollute etc), but electric cars are about as exciting as watching paint dry IMO.

The only thing that makes that video watchable is the glorious sound of the ICE car.

IMO of course.

EDIT: Haakers already said what I posted
Even though the race car driver who appears in them occasionally comes across as a tool the production quality of those Hagerty videos is just excellent. Added bonus is the performance of that Lucid Sapphire thingy will really piss Elon off too.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'd have to agree.
Electric is the future, but it still doesn't cover all bases just yet. There's still limits with towing, and I'm not convinced Tesla is all that truthful (or just using tricky terminology) with the Tesla Semi. Battery is also an issue in very cold climates and with places with where the charging infrastructure is limited. There's also the factor of the comparison in purchase price compared to an ICE vehicle in the same segment.
We are certainly not at point today where we all could just simple swap over to electric at the drop of a hat. It will still take about a decade for every part of the transportation market to be covered with a comparable electric alternative.
Thats all probably true, but they still work for 90% of drivers. Most people dont give two shits about cornering so long as it has apple carplay. So if we can electrify 90% of cars and leave those outliers on old ICE (and paying through the nose for the privilege...) I'd call that a win.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Even though the race car driver who appears in them occasionally comes across as a tool the production quality of those Hagerty videos is just excellent. Added bonus is the performance of that Lucid Sapphire thingy will really piss Elon off too.
Elon/Tesla are not likely to be even remotely bothered. More the merrier has been their attitude to other EVs, and they are focused on selling bulk Model Y and getting more factory capacity going as demand is still outstripping their ability to make them.

This is just more good PR for EVs in general and that will sell more Teslas as well as hopefully save Lucid as a company.

That Air is just gorgeous - the interior Tesla should have had...

Scotty T

Walks the walk

The only factual good thing about petrol is you can drive for hours without stopping for long, and make a lighter vehicle for that scenario. The scenario very few people do regularly. The argument is tired and old.

Nothing else. Glorious noise, soul, spirited, these are subjective terms, I feel I'm not the one being religious here.

Re Caterham 7, see McMurtry video.

What @beeb said. I'd actually quite like a car that comes in at under 1.6 tonnes given the associated reduction of wear and tear to tyres, suspension, basically everything really. Not really an option at the mo unless I want to drop several house deposits on one.

I get that EV is the undisputed ruler of the future but the tech is not there yet to supplant ICE in its entireity. But I've also just watched several family members purchase some pricey new electrical motoring recently, so what do I know.
BMW 3 Series 1470kg, Tesla Model 3 1611kg, Toyota Camry Hybrid 1660kg. Both the heavy ones use a lot less brakes, the BEV uses no oil etc. A study would need to be done to see if this makes your point entirely invalid ut it's not looking like a big deal to me, all cars are heavy these days. Not to mention so many people rocking 2 tonne 4wd cars they just never actually use for their intention.

Here's a video of one that isn't a $2m toy but can keep up with a bunch of half million ones:

Thats all probably true, but they still work for 90% of drivers. Most people dont give two shits about cornering so long as it has apple carplay. So if we can electrify 90% of cars and leave those outliers on old ICE (and paying through the nose for the privilege...) I'd call that a win.
Yep, all the arguments for petrol are for 10% of drivers. The Model 3 corners a lot better than a lot of the sports model ICE cars out there because torque vectoring. Petrol heads will eventually have to pay the cost of twice the waste and pollution for their noise induced boners, definite win.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Yes, there's quite a lot of vehicles in the inner city and urban environments would easily swap over today but not sure if that's close to 90% there's still not the range in manufactures there yet. You only have one EV Ute here in Aus (if you can get one) there isn't really anything in a van for instance. There's nothing under $40k, and even if you are after a $60K+ 4 door sedan your choice is still limited to a few brands.
It's going to happen but it's not going to be all that fast.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
The thing is, does it really need to be 585hp? Just give us a cheap mode of transport.
There's too much focus on power and not enough of efficiency. Sure, you can do the quarter mile in 9 seconds, but the majority can't afford that.
A lot of us also don't need a full-fruit luxo barge (heated/cooled electrically adjustable seats, etc...). I'd rather rock a pov-pack and save 300kg and gain range from the same capacity battery.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
The thing is, does it really need to be 585hp? Just give us a cheap mode of transport.
There's too much focus on power and not enough of efficiency. Sure, you can do the quarter mile in 9 seconds, but the majority can't afford that.
That's why I have a BYD on order.

Still tossing up whether I supplement with a low mileage early R35 GTR or save up and go the Taycan Cross Turismo 4s.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Scotty T

Walks the walk
50 years ago I was born, and electric car conversions were a thing in Australia. This is why I get so passionate about how shit petrol really is, because we've known how shit it is forever and had viable alternatives for 50 years. In Australia 2000+ people die every year from inhaling exhaust.

elecvw.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
That's why I have a BYD on order.
Same for my missus.

There are 4 of us from my work that ordered EV's when the SA incentives came out. $3k rebate, 3 yrs free rego and no FBT.

Drive away lease price (GST off)

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

BYD - $46k
2 x Tesla 3 - $64k
Kona - $63k

We 100% needed the SUV height vehicle for our driveway and also the missus is going from a raised Prado to a smaller EV and wanted that higher driving position.

Tesla Y could have been an option but nearly $80k.