EARPHONES MEGATHREAD - All questions on earphones for riding asked and answered here

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
it's just the wind noise when I'm riding that I want to minimise.
In that case I had the Jabra 4 elites. When you turn off the pass through and just have isolation/noise cancelling they were good, but its like you have ear muffs on and even in the bush I like some awareness, but sounds like that might be what you're after.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
These are astonishingly good for a brand no one has ever heard of.

Oldest Child found them on Facebook and asked for them for his birthday. Took a punt on never seeing my money again, or them just being shithouse. Thankfully it was neither. He fucked up so I claimed them.

Commuted with them and I can't say I ever noticed wind noise. They sit more inside the ear lobe. Buttons are really really small, useless with gloves but manageable if your sitting at the desk.

Sound quality is great. Volume doesn't go to pain levels but is definitely loud enough.

Only issue was with shipping. Don't believe the banner on the website. Had to chase up where mine were after a week or so. Ordered another set for Mrs George and had to do the same thing.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Although the bit that's confusing me with the Sony's is that they advise to turn active noise cancelling off when you get wind noise (the ambient sound control bit is obvious): https://www.sony.com.au/electronics...uetooth-headphones/wf-c700n/articles/00293255
View attachment 403627
Found an article for the XM4’s which suggests they have a wind noise reduction setting in the app. I haven’t really explored the app much but will check this arvo whether the Linkbuds have it and if it does much.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just bought a set of Sennheiser Momentum 3s on sale from Amazon. Sennheiser MOMENTUM True Wireless 3 Noise Cancelling Headphones, Black https://amzn.asia/d/5lA3LVh

Easily the best earbuds I've used. Seem to do everything well. Not sure about IP rating. Definitely get them on sale, I got them 40% off.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
They are hybrid ANC, which I'd definitely consider, even at $200+. But the amazon price I'm seeing is only 8% off: https://www.amazon.com.au/Sennheiser-MOMENTUM-Wireless-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B09RZLWJQ8

The have a pretty high profile, which seems concerning regards wind rush. Have you tried riding with them?

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Timely thread is timely.
My wireless earbuds have died after 5 years - a well-used set of Jabra Elite 65ts
I'm thinking of going bone conduction as I mostly use these when walking or riding as I have a decent set of earphones.
Anyone tried the Shokz headphones? Specifically the OpenFit?

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I can confirm ANC is great for accentuating wind noise. Accidentally had it on and could definitely hear a wind rush I don't usually have.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Timely thread is timely.
My wireless earbuds have died after 5 years - a well-used set of Jabra Elite 65ts
I'm thinking of going bone conduction as I mostly use these when walking or riding as I have a decent set of earphones.
Anyone tried the Shokz headphones? Specifically the OpenFit?
I have had two sets and really like them. The open fit died in about 9 months but with the two year warranty I upgraded to the open run.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Have had a couple of Bose noise cancelling over ear jobs over the years. Either the ear cushions or head band ends up falling apart.

Four years ago bought a set of B&O H9i noise cancelling headphones. Sound quality superior to the Bose, but loses out with the noise cancelling. They also get heavy to wear after a while too.

The ones I use the most now, are my set of Airpods Pro. Decent sound and noise cancelling, just seem to work no problems.

Dangals

Likes Dirt
I have to say that my Earshots have been absolutely fantastic and I just wish I could use them with my enduro full face which is what I tend to wear on my locals more often than not. But when riding with the 1/2 lid they are spot on.

They are really good for other forms of exercise like running etc. as due to the design they just do not fall off. Very comfortable for long periods of time as they do not sit in the ear either.

Started with the Gen1 and then got upgraded to the Gen2 when there was a warranty issue so cannot fault the customer service team. They are great in that the sound quality is really good but you can still hear the trail noise around you as you are riding.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
They are hybrid ANC, which I'd definitely consider, even at $200+. But the amazon price I'm seeing is only 8% off: https://www.amazon.com.au/Sennheiser-MOMENTUM-Wireless-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B09RZLWJQ8

The have a pretty high profile, which seems concerning regards wind rush. Have you tried riding with them?
I went out on Sunday in a strong breeze to test the Sony’s. Not sure if there’s been a software update but the wind noise in ambient/pass thru wasn’t too bad and only at certain angles to the breeze. Probably enough for me to want to switch to noise cancelling or turn down the level of pass thru significantly though.

With noise cancelling on there was occasionally a subtle bit of wind noise, but nothing obtrusive at all that would take away from listening. Again was only at certain angles to the wind.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes

Wait for the Black Friday sales. Likely to be 40% off again.

The high profile helps to keep the earbuds in. They have a set of different sized rubber bumpers that hook into the curvature of your ear.

The ANC is ok and has a wind mode; which can be switched on the fly. But they won't touch the isolation from custom fitted or triple flange silicone ear buds like on Etymotics or some Shure models. On the other hand the passive isolation ear buds block out all noise, including traffic noise.

I've got a set of AfterShokz headphones and a bone conducting MP3 player for swimming. I found the sound quality to be pretty ordinary and they don't block out other noise unless you are wearing other ear plugs. I found this ok for the pool but not great for riding.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Which earbuds are you using?
Jabra Elite 7 Pro. Retail for $299 so I think they might be out of your price range. I bought them for the relatively neutral sound profile, I don't use the ANC or hearthrough. I've got weird shaped ears so have some issues with mic-placement anyway.

I think Bose are still the leaders in noise cancellation but I'm not sure how they deal with wind.

In case you haven't seen it yet, RTINGS has a pretty comprehensive set of reviews.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Jabra Elite 7 Pro. Retail for $299 so I think they might be out of your price range. I bought them for the relatively neutral sound profile, I don't use the ANC or hearthrough. I've got weird shaped ears so have some issues with mic-placement anyway.

I think Bose are still the leaders in noise cancellation but I'm not sure how they deal with wind.

In case you haven't seen it yet, RTINGS has a pretty comprehensive set of reviews.
My dad is a huge Bose fan and keeps buying me stuff from them. I haven't found the Bose stuff to be great. The batteries in particular are very ordinary.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'll show your dad's Bose stuff the appreciation it deserves. Feel free to forward on to me, happy to wave the charges, I'll do it as a favour.