Don't Buy a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Carbon

Minlak

custom titis
If you're not price sensitive eighty one spices have the SQlab 30X in stock - very nice quality, has more backsweep than most bars, they claim a whole bunch of benefits that I can't say I've noticed, but ymmv
Eighty One Spices just don't get enough thought when you are looking for stuff - I they are the best place for quite a bit of stuff for me :)

I have to admit that I'm not really aware of Syntace as a brand and haven't been able to develop any of my usual prejudices about their stuff.
Syntace amazing stuff especially their rims as pointed out by @rangersac :)

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I pulled the Topaz off this to remove the travel spacer which makes it 130mm is rear travel. When I went to reinstall the shock it didn't line up, WTF I think, have I got the spacers in the wrong order?
Nope
Fuck

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
GG had already highlighted issues with the seat stays so I pulled them off the rocker and measured the alignment between the shock and rocker, 3.2mm one side and 6.8mm on the other. Flipped the shock to make sure it wasn't a bent shock, no that.
By eye it looks like the front shock mount is on the piss. GG tell me it passed QC for alignment in their factory at less that 1mm misalignment, 1mm is the maximum they allow. This is clearly more than that, I'll have to wait and see what they have to say on Tuesday

Last edited:

Jpez

Down on the left!
Heaven knows what that's been doing to your shock internals.
Hopefully GG set you right, quickly.
I have a similar situation on my alloy bike. It was like that when I received it. Never bothered with spacers or anything as it wasn’t contacting the frame and everything seemed to be running well. They told me I must have assembled it incorrectly and mis torqued the bolts. I told them that was ridiculous because they assembled the fucking bike in the factory not me.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I will be going pretty hard on this issue as I see it as totally unacceptable and not fit for purpose. If it was a $500 K-Mart bike then I suppose it would be expected, but that's not the case. They have put in writing to me that the bike passed their QC checks but this shit doesn't just magically happen.
It's a pity because it's quite a good bike, I'm really starting to like it.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I really liked the concept of this bike that one basic frame could be different bikes with a few different bits. I hope you get it all sorted as I am keen to hear a long term review.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I finally got the Michelin to seat on the Nobls but I had to put a tube in it to seat the bead, first time ever but I suppose it won't leak because it's so tight.
Now that it has the correct wheel and tyre combo mounted I'm keen for another ride with a bit less rolling weight (previous tyres were 2.6/2.4) and a change of handle bars with more rise. There's a good 500g weight saving in the wheel/tyre combo so it should be much snappier and the higher rise should help with balance.
Will head to Smiths on Tuesday and see how it goes

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I spoke to James from GG this morning who agreed that the misalignment wasn't acceptable. He has indicated that they will ship me a new front triangle along with the replacement seat stays, their preference would be to ship them together but he's going back to his operations and engineering teams to come up with a schedule.
He didn't argue and I didn't have to ask for a new triangle, so although QC was at fault at GG they have made all the right noises thus far.
In other news it's a much better bike with the Nobl's and lighter tyres, more suited to what I wanted. I need to spend a bit more time getting the Topaz right but I was really happy with the bike generally last night. It's a bit firmer and more agile than my Optic and is a much better climber, but seems to descend well enough. I really need to swap the stem though it feels weird, when doing jumps it almost feels like the bars are going to rotate in my hands which is a bit unnerving.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well although I spoke to James on Wednesday and he indicated that they'd ship me another triangle, the dream team at GG have decided in their wisdom that I need to ship the bike back to them for assessment and repair at my cost both ways. I love that I have to pay for their mistakes.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Well although I spoke to James on Wednesday and he indicated that they'd ship me another triangle, the dream team at GG have decided in their wisdom that I need to ship the bike back to them for assessment and repair at my cost both ways. I love that I have to pay for their mistakes.
I would be protesting that, given the photos are obvious that there’s an issue. If they send you a new frame typically they require photos of it chopped up so you don’t sell it on. I know Canyon did this for @ozzybmx

Shipping a frame can’t be cheap at the moment. Shit to hear and I hope they see sense for you.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I can feel a rant on mtbr/fb/insta coming.

They've pretty much killed their Australian sales.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
That’s absolute bullshit @komdotkom sorry to hear. As above I’d be pushing really hard on that, it’s not your responsibility to pay to cover a faulty build.

If they are real dicks about it maybe offer to cover the cost of a local inspection by Leuscher or similar to verify the misalignment and then they send you a new one and you cut this one in half.

teK--

Eats Squid
That is some really bad PR for them. Make lots of noise so they know this is not acceptable especially if they want to sell bikes outside of USA.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It will cost me less to fix the issue caused by their poor QC than postage back to them, I'll just make an eccentric bush and fix the alignment but you can bet there will plenty of posts on FB, Insta, YT, PB and MTBR documenting the process and some other 1%ers on this bike which I haven't posted yet.
I sent them a pretty blunt email, waiting for a response.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forget that shit. Man, if you've paid by credit card just reverse it.

I certainly wouldn't worry about goodwill and being polite / pleasant to deal with as that ship has sailed.

Wow, it is unbelievable that brands carry on like that.
If they can't organise themselves to sell and service product internationally, then don't sell it outside your domestic market.

Is there a company they can appoint to confirm what you've already seen regarding alignment that they & you trust in your home town?

It makes buying a mainstream brand more appealing every day.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Forget that shit. Man, if you've paid by credit card just reverse it.

I certainly wouldn't worry about goodwill and being polite / pleasant to deal with as that ship has sailed.

Wow, it is unbelievable that brands carry on like that.
If they can't organise themselves to sell and service product internationally, then don't sell it outside your domestic market.

Is there a company they can appoint to confirm what you've already seen regarding alignment that they & you trust in your home town?

It makes buying a mainstream brand more appealing every day.

I suppose if I put myself in GG's shoes I would want an independent verification of the issue, Leuscher would be my preference but I'm not sure how GG would feel about that. I don't know him but he's quite the boffin so I'd be happy to use him, alternatively I can have it scanned and plotted with a CMM and send the file to GG but they'd be paying the invoice.

The sad thing is I really like the bike. We rode at Smiths again last night and it's a really good bit of gear, it's got that sitting 'in' feeling not sitting 'on'. I'm not the quickest descender but after just a few rides I'm confident to really tip it into corners and it quite happily drifts around them tail out but totally in control.