Don't Buy a Guerrilla Gravity Trail Pistol Carbon

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So ignoring all the dramas and delays in getting it - how's it ride?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Maiden voyage went well, 40kms and nothing fell off. I really like the Bike Yoke dropper but I think the cable isn't properly seated in the post because it got stick a few times.
The Topaz is just 170psi and no tuning so additional fettling is required to get it just right, currently squishy off the top and harsh in the mid stroke so will need to look at the bladder pressure.
Stem is too short, hit me up if you want it.
Frame is rigid AF, NO movement when giving the rear wheel a good wobble.
I can't get the Nobls to air up, but its a tyre thing not a rim problem. The tyres are so tight I had to use levers, I seldom need them and take great delight in not needing them. The beads are so tight they are jammed in the well and it doesn't matter how big the compressor is I can't get them to seat. I've run tubeless for over a decade and never had this much trouble with a set of tyres. I also just wanted to ride so smashed the Nexties from my Paradox on there and was happy enough.
All in all its good but I need to work on the setup for it to be great.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Actually, don't hit me up if you want the stem. I've got Rental Apex for sale 35x40mm I'll put this on the Paradox

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Bikeyoke are stupidly fussy about setup. Follow the manual to the millimetre and it’ll be spot on, but be even slightly slack with your measurements and they will play up.

beeb

Bikeyoke are stupidly fussy about setup. Follow the manual to the millimetre and it’ll be spot on, but be even slightly slack with your measurements and they will play up.
...or you just get a dropper lever with a bolt that holds the cable in place once you pull the slack out?

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any suggestions for what carbon riser bar I can get for this? Nothing seems to be in stock in 30mm rise
I have even considered getting Enve (cringe) but I would prefer not to. One Up and Deity are out of stock, the only thing I can find is the Renthals which by all accounts are stiff AF in which case I should just get alloy.
The same goes for the stem, it's 40mm now but a bit short so probably looking for 55-60mm but there's nothing around in the colour/brand combo's that work for me (massive brand snob). Am I going to notice a 10mm increase? Not sure it's worth spending another $200 on a 50mm i9 stem only to find it's no different.....

beeb

Any suggestions for what carbon riser bar I can get for this? Nothing seems to be in stock in 30mm rise
I have even considered getting Enve (cringe) but I would prefer not to. One Up and Deity are out of stock, the only thing I can find is the Renthals which by all accounts are stiff AF in which case I should just get alloy.
The same goes for the stem, it's 40mm now but a bit short so probably looking for 55-60mm but there's nothing around in the colour/brand combo's that work for me (massive brand snob). Am I going to notice a 10mm increase? Not sure it's worth spending another $200 on a 50mm i9 stem only to find it's no different.....
I can loan you a stem 50mm if you like. I have some Renthal carbons spare as well, but from memory they're cut shortish and might be different rises to what you're chasing. I wouldn't call them stiff in a 31.8mm dia - in fact I replaced them with alloy bars for a bit more support under heavy compressions/braking (Bear in mind I'm probably 95 kitted up). The 35mm dia bars were a bit harsher than I like though. Still had some flew, but seemed to "buzz" more than other bars I've used.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Depending on how much effort you're willing to put in, despite being out of stock on the international site, OneUp seems to have both 20mm and 35mm in stock on their US webshop if you can be bothered going through a freight forwarder.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Syntace Vector in 35mm rise? Exxy but they are by far an away my favourite bars ever ridden.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
MTBD have the Funn carbon 30mm bars on sale for $160.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Syntace Vector in 35mm rise? Exxy but they are by far an away my favourite bars ever ridden.
I have to admit that I'm not really aware of Syntace as a brand and haven't been able to develop any of my usual prejudices about their stuff.
I thought they only made shitty oem wheel sets but perhaps I have them confused with some other brand. Is Sycros a thing?
All the cool kids run metric 35mm clamp so I thought that was the current hotness but I suppose I could go back to the old school inch and 1/4 clamp if I could find something decent.
I've got a 50mm Brand X stem here somewhere, I'll have to dig it out

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Depending on how much effort you're willing to put in, despite being out of stock on the international site, OneUp seems to have both 20mm and 35mm in stock on their US webshop if you can be bothered going through a freight forwarder.
Sneaky bastards.
I can loan you a stem 50mm if you like. I have some Renthal carbons spare as well, but from memory they're cut shortish and might be different rises to what you're chasing. I wouldn't call them stiff in a 31.8mm dia - in fact I replaced them with alloy bars for a bit more support under heavy compressions/braking (Bear in mind I'm probably 95 kitted up). The 35mm dia bars were a bit harsher than I like though. Still had some flew, but seemed to "buzz" more than other bars I've used.
Cheers mate, I've got a 50mm here somewhere. I'm 76kg fully kitted so I find most carbon and alloy bars are pretty stiff. I've got alloy FatBars and they are rock solid, from what I had read the carbon stuff from Renthal was similarly rigid.

Last edited:

beeb

Cheers mate, I've got a 50mm here somewhere. I'm 76kg fully kitted so I find most carbon and alloy bars are pretty stiff. I've got alloy FatBars and they are rock solid, from what I had read the carbon stuff from Renthal was similarly rigid.
Renthal Fatbar carbon lite models might be of interest to you. Definitely more compliant the the allot Renthal Fatbars a mate has. I have a couple of of them in 31.8mm clamp (10mm and 40mm rise, but cut to 740mm wide) and they were quite flexy. Very comfy feeling, bit too much flex for my mass on more aggressive trails. Welcome to borrow them if you want but no stress if not. PM me if you want them. If you chuck some single lock-on grips you can stretch the bar width a bit too.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I have to admit that I'm not really aware of Syntace as a brand and haven't been able to develop any of my usual prejudices about their stuff.
I thought they only made shitty oem wheel sets but perhaps I have them confused with some other brand. Is Sycros a thing?
All the cool kids run metric 35mm clamp so I thought that was the current hotness but I suppose I could go back to the old school inch and 1/4 clamp if I could find something decent.
I've got a 50mm Brand X stem here somewhere, I'll have to dig it out
Yeah Syncros is I think a Scott in house brand now or something and don't have the greatest rep. Syntace is very much more high end of stuff, German design blah blah. Anyway the whole 31.8 vs 35 clamp is very much a boost/ non boost argument to me. Sure if you are a massive downhill monster pushing the scales at 120kg plus you might notice the difference but for us mere mortals you'd never know.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
If you're not price sensitive eighty one spices have the SQlab 30X in stock - very nice quality, has more backsweep than most bars, they claim a whole bunch of benefits that I can't say I've noticed, but ymmv