COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
We need to stop normalising the word “Hack” for data breaches brought about by human errors kkthx move along
to be fair through, i think its accurate to call it a hack. Somone would have bene interrogating the resilience of the system to have discovered the ability to access the environement. Just because it was easy doesn't make it less of a hack. Its not like somone was trying to log into The Age and suddenly they were presented with Optus customer data

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
We need to stop normalising the word “Hack” for data breaches brought about by human errors kkthx move along
"Hack" is way too overused. It seems to be used to explain anything that you figured out how to work that isn't printed in the manual. Geezz,..

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Everyone has an environment in which to run testing. Some are lucky enough to have a separate environment for production...
i think you have that backwards. Everyone has a production environment.

Either way i don't think that had anything to do with it. Core functionality was replicated in only two geographically local data centers when more geographies were available. The scenario was "what do we do when these two data centers fail". the result "testing" that scenario is that they couldn't just fail over to brisbane or perth etc. Production or test environment doesn't appear to have mattered from the way i read it. Its effectively just a thought experiment at that point.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
"Hack" is way too overused. It seems to be used to explain anything that you figured out how to work that isn't printed in the manual. Geezz,..
Yeah in the old days it was hacking (altering some code that existed to do something else) and cracking (breaking into systems). Now apparently you can hack life.

When has there ever been a hack (attack, breach) that wasn't brought about by human error?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Yeah in the old days it was hacking (altering some code that existed to do something else) and cracking (breaking into systems). Now apparently you can hack life.

When has there ever been a hack (attack, breach) that wasn't brought about by human error?
True. Not like a bunch of silicon wafers, leds and copper tracks conspired to hand out passport numbers.
The machine will get the blame as the third party since it must have coded itself.

Wait till Skynet eventually comes on line. It will even the score about this long loss of computer face.

The 'Life hacking' thing where people excited to make a custom McDonald's order to get a some sort of Frozen coke with a Flurry frankenmix makes me cringe.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Human error isn't a very helpful way of looking at it. Humans are highly unreliable and you can't solve problems by getting significantly less falliable humans because they don't exist. Every opportunity for a human to excercise their ability to fuck-up is a system issue. Systems should be designed with the knowledge that humans are error-prone and provide mitigating controls.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
“If you make it idiot proof, someone makes a better idiot”
I bought a bakachon camera for my mum. She could still decapitate people, take blurry photographs and have it focus on the foreground if she was taking landscape pics and on the background if she was taking portraits.