COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
The issue with the omission of this or the lie (if they actually ever told it) is that public health policy, specifically mandates, were built off of it, which lead to wholesale institutional discrimination.

All those "my body, my choice" people who felt forced by way of keeping their jobs to feed their families may have a case to bring. Even more so if they were in the rare minority that had some vaccine related injury (pericarditis etc.)
I think you'll find that the mandates were built off the fact that vaccinations only reduce the risk of transmission via mitigating severity...and the more people vaccinated the more reduced the risk.

No vaccine has ever been developed, tested and put on the market as fast as the Covid vaccines. There was no point testing for reduced transmission given the known virulence of the virus at the time. Better to ensure that the vaccine reduced the severity of the disease impact on the individual and worry about transmission (which would and did improve with later variants) later...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Sort of… But there were some reasons to come here that dont work remotely. And I am booked to fly home on Sunday…
Oh well. Not much you can do except wave out of the window and keeping Zooming. Not your fault.

You can have your own personal Oktoberfest in the hotel room purely for medicinal purposes, of course.

Hope you will be cleared to fly home. You have had a hugely crap run of Covid.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I think you'll find that the mandates were built off the fact that vaccinations only reduce the risk of transmission via mitigating severity...and the more people vaccinated the more reduced the risk.
Don't think so. The whole mitigating severity only message was a direction only taken after the release and widespread use of the vaccine and it became apparent that "break through" cases werent the exception, but the norm. Even the use of the term "break through" cases should tell you what the intent of the vaccine was. The purpose of the vaccine, like any vaccine before it, was ultimately to mitigate infection. No one gives you a polio vaccine telling you, "hey if you get it, it won't be as bad". The reduction of severity message is what they pivoted to post fact. Not saying reduction of severity is not important, but by that stage mandates we're already being imposed.

Transmission doesn't appear to have had much to do with severity either. People were walking around getting it from asymptomatic people, from people that didn't have more than a runny nose, while others sharing homes with gravely ill partners were at times not being infected.

No vaccine has ever been developed, tested and put on the market as fast as the Covid vaccines. There was no point testing for reduced transmission given the known virulence of the virus at the time. Better to ensure that the vaccine reduced the severity of the disease impact on the individual and worry about transmission (which would and did improve with later variants) later...
No one was developing a vaccine to reduce severity though. They were all trying to provide immunity. Go back to some of the literature and advertising and articles being written during the development of the vaccines. The speed in which they rolled tis out isnt the point or even an argument. What is is that If you're trying to ensure high uptake of this and future vaccines, don't get caught in a lie. It's damaging for future vaccine sentiment. Tell me this isn't going to come up next time we have a pandemic and a vaccine gets rolled out post haste.

Speed isn't the issue, truth about its efficacy is and how that information drives policy. There's no doubt it's effective, but it's quite possible that worldwide governmental and private business approach may have not had had as hard-line a view to imposing mandates if they knew that people would still be susceptible to transmitting the disease. Whether that's a good thing or not is a worthy debate, but not the point I was making.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sort of… But there were some reasons to come here that dont work remotely. And I am booked to fly home on Sunday…
You can get a good wristy pretty much anywhere in the world these days. If it's the infamous Dusseldorf reverse grip you're after, sure that'll be a bit of a let down.

Still sucks to get it twice so close together. Best of luck dealing with the shit that comes with isolation.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
So this is basically 3 weeks since I cleared the last bout, but was still coughing and had fatigue. A second dose that fast is I believe super rare and unlikely.

So this might not be a new infection, but a resurgence of the first one. But I guess it’s all moot - positive is positive… Or it’s a normal cold on top of enough residual covid to ping the tes

Or maybe I’ll get luck and test negative tomorrow.

Dunno, clutching at straws in order to get out of the bloody hotel room!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So this is basically 3 weeks since I cleared the last bout, but was still coughing and had fatigue. A second dose that fast is I believe super rare and unlikely.

So this might not be a new infection, but a resurgence of the first one. But I guess it’s all moot - positive is positive… Or it’s a normal cold on top of enough residual covid to ping the tes

I'm scratching up a vague memory of being told to not test within a certain number of weeks because there will be residual virus that will show up on a test?

Is that a thing? You could make it a thing. How many people have you told?

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
A second dose that fast is I believe super rare and unlikely.
Not that rare I don't think. Common enough that the govt changed it from 3 months to 1 a few months back. Would need to have been less of an exception for them to do so I would have thought.

Happened to me. Anecdotally happened to a couple of mates and work mates too.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Not too many know. Just the German Ministry of Health and a UN delegation of people from about 10 countries.
Just turn up with a cake and be like “lol jks!” - everyone knows Germans have a great sense of humour! :p

Jokes aside - if you’re sick, you’re sick (COVID or not), nobody else wants your disease so just stay the fuck at home (or at your hotel) and recuperate.

Once you’re out of iso, just remember to tell your employer (is that us? lol - we pay your damn wages @Haakon!) you’re “too poorly to travel home” for a few days, and do some genteel touring of the city while you get you strength back and so at least the trip hasn’t been a total waste.

Not that rare I don't think.
Probably especially not when you’ve just spent multiple hours in several flying Petri dishes between countries.

I know food goes off faster at altitude during a flight, I wonder if it has the same effect on one’s immune system? (Plus sharing the same tin-can full of air filled with other peoples breath obviously!)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I know food goes off faster at altitude during a flight, I wonder if it has the same effect on one’s immune system? (Plus sharing the same tin-can full of air filled with other peoples breath obviously!)
Is there any international fligh that's landed where no one has been infected I wonder?

Re the altitude, I reckon there might be something to that. Also not a particularly good thing to put your body through, so you'd be rund down generally anyway too.

Edit- granted it's the first result an no further checking of sources, but -
1665605701637.png

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

People will often test positive via PCR or similar for a while after having covid. This is why (perhaps not still the case) you needed to get an exemption from testing to travel.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
People will often test positive via PCR or similar for a while after having covid. This is why (perhaps not still the case) you needed to get an exemption from testing to travel.
No tests or vaccination certificates are needed anymore.

I tested negative a few weeks ago before I left Canberra. But was still experiencing fatigue and a bit of coughing the whole time.
Who knows….

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
No tests or vaccination certificates are needed anymore.

I tested negative a few weeks ago before I left Canberra. But was still experiencing fatigue and a bit of coughing the whole time.
Who knows….
Has this all been on rats?

The change in testing requirements doesn't mean people don't carry the bug etc in their system. It just means we don't really care anymore. Or the whole thing is fake.

Oddly enough I tested negative via PCR 11 days after my last previous positive via PCR. Apparently I needed to have my doctor's clearance to fly printed...That was a very nervous couple of hours at the airport!