COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
to be fair, some roles demand it. Keeping a large company's IT architecture operating smoothly is a 24hr job.

Personally I would have loved to get a call last night to let me know i could have slept in or gone for an early ride :D
True, although said company should supply a company phone and laptop for the privilege of invading your home life

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Keeping a large company's IT architecture operating smoothly is a 24hr job.
Only when it goes wrong. There aren't people loading tapes into machines and running nightly backups anymore, that shit was over 30 years ago. Most things just run themselves nowadays until something goes wrong. Not to mention that cloud services take a lot of responsibility away from the company itself and provide fault tolerance so shit goes wrong even less.

I generally am the emergency contact for Xmas periods for my team but I think once in 12 years I've had something go wrong when on call.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Most things just run themselves nowadays until something goes wrong. Not to mention that cloud services take a lot of responsibility away from the company itself and provide fault tolerance so shit goes wrong even less.
you mean like the Microsoft exchange malware service that borked itself as NY ticked over and stopped sending emails to inboxes because the integer used was too small for 2022 dates? yeah Someone had to be around for that to disable the malware protection and then initiate something else to serve in its place until MS put a fix in yesterday. Glad it was some other poor bastard here :p

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Got notification that mr 4 had a carer work while infected last Wed and one of his classmates is positive. We're sympton free but need the test for daycare work etc. Rat tests can't be had for love or money anywhere.

So we come to get tested at Frenchs Forest, one of only a handful of testing centres open at the moment on the Northern Beaches. We get here at 7.50am and the queue is 3 kms long down the road. I've seen similar scenes over the weekend at other testing centres in Mona Vale and Cromer.

I'm sure that the NSW Libs will cop a lot of blowback over this testing debacle. But Scomo is up for election first and has been on tv knocking back publicly distributed rat tests.

Given that this is a seat that Scomo desperately has to win at the next election, I'm now certain his goose is cooked.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
Got told at 8.50am that Frenchs Forest was at capacity and turned away. Now at Northern Beaches hospital and still waiting. Might get tested after 4 hours of waiting.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Fortunately it's only emergency so far. Must be hard to cope with a sniffle and no doctor.
I dont envy your missus when covid hits the outback
Are you serious?
It’s not just emergency, and it’s not only metro. Had been fucked here for ages. No staff available and hospitalisations constantly climbing.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm curious. How bad does it have to get before the government(s) start imposing restrictions again? Guess they've been watching all the FoxNews reports on how Australia is a fascist police state and they've been spooked.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I'm curious. How bad does it have to get before the government(s) start imposing restrictions again? Guess they've been watching all the FoxNews reports on how Australia is a fascist police state and they've been spooked.
when people start dying because there is no one to care for them. Then they'll blame it on the hospitals for not having adequate staff.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
when people start dying because there is no one to care for them. Then they'll blame it on the hospitals for not having adequate staff.
going by the current trend, not convinced that will stir them into action... feels like some libertarian wet dream, everyone for themselves at present.

wornoutwords

Likes Dirt
some crazy metrics; the +ve testing rate in NSW is 27%! (90k tests, 23k positive yesterday). It's a bit skewed because the advice has changed from 'get tested if you sniffle' to 'get tested only if work is making you and you feel sick'. But still, extrapolate that if you will...

Also, a medical professionals definition of 'mild symptoms' doesn't mean sitting at home with a sniffle watching tv. It means sitting in hospital hooked up to beepers vs being knocked out with tubes in you. So you still take up a bed, doctors/nurses time, an ambulance ride, triage thru emergency etc etc

i went into emergency a few weeks back on a weekday morning because i thought i'd broken my hand again (it wasn't thankfully), but i spent longer waiting to get admitted/xrayed than i did when I had broken my hand during full covid shutdown (and that was on a weekend afternoon + i needed a cast etc)

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
going by the current trend, not convinced that will stir them into action... feels like some libertarian wet dream, everyone for themselves at present.
i think theyre trying to work out the plan to deal with the rioters if they announce lock downs again.

safreek

Are you serious?
It’s not just emergency, and it’s not only metro. Had been fucked here for ages. No staff available and hospitalisations constantly climbing.
More taking the piss out off the pricks going to emergency for the test or because they have a cold.

safreek

Just saw the line up in Lismore for testing, probably about 50 people. I don't know how true it is but the receptionist at a nearby doctors told me they are RAT testing before doing the PCR at the fever clinic.
If that is the case why not piss the people off that test negative.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
quite possibly... this is the real damage those fuckwits do.
any riots/large scale protests with current 27% positive test rate will expose all police on the frontline to covid. the outcomes of any sustained pressence of these idiots should be of huge concern.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I just got a call from our GP to book my 5 year old for his first Pfizer vaccine (he was on a wait list).
If anybody is in the same boat, this is the consent form for 5-11 year olds:

I assume the mass vaccine hubs will have the forms available to fill out. My GP clinic has asked us to print and fill out before we walk in. Probably to keep things rolling quickly and smoothly.

safreek

Well…if testing stations are closed…and RAT’s aren’t available….people are trying to do the right thing.
Doing the right thing by going to emergency with barely a symptom.
I believe if you have no symptoms you shouldn't be wasting the testing clinics time.
It would be interesting to see how many people get tested multiple times.
I haven't had a proper test since covid started as I have had no symptoms, makes sense to me.
I did a RAT test when I came home from Qld, it's spreading rapidly there