COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

BKMad

Likes Dirt
Interesting to hear these views. I'd assumed that our border closure was stopping business travel and no idea that there was 100 000 per month coming into the country. I thought it was much much less. I guess I just figured that once the cat was out of the bag and NSW has unleashed it on the rest of the country, there wouldn't be a need for quarantine anymore. I also thought that quarantine for years to come would be detrimental to our country economically. I see the UK lets vaccinated people travel to designated countries without needing to quarantine on return (not that I would hold the UK up as a role model for handling the virus).

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Interesting to hear these views. I'd assumed that our border closure was stopping business travel and no idea that there was 100 000 per month coming into the country. I thought it was much much less.
That's because there's not. The current cap is roughly 3,000 a week (i.e 12,000 a month. )

Australian government halves arrival cap, leaving thousands stranded as air fares skyrocket | CNN Travel
Coronavirus travel ban Australia: There are now 43 thousand Aussies trying to get home (9news.com.au)

Scotty T

Walks the walk
ACT is doing well with 21 cases today, high level of compliance, spread out population, and Stromlo is still 3.89km from my door. Look at the numbers today, it seems like our ratio of in the community and unlinked has been lower than elsewhere.

Lockdown done properly is working so far, we have no fatigue either which I think is bolstering compliance, no fuckwits protesting, and I think I already mentioned how close Stromlo is to my place. I grew up in Blacktown, it's awful seeing the whole Sydney thing unfold and knowing it's still getting worse.

The whole discussion on a proper quarantine facility being the future for us seems a no-brainer to me, if not for the next 10 variants of COVID, for the next zoonotic disease that ravages the world. Business needs to realise this is a new way of operating and the world will simplly have to slow down and become a little less productive.

How the fuck is there 43000 Australians still overseas trying to get home? Oh they went after the pandemic started? Sucks to be them.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I would kill to have a dog to play with in this place! There is a cat that occasionally creeps around at night but he's a bit stand-offish
I like your thinking @PINT of Stella. mate! we already have dedicated quarantine facilities for all the furry friends we travel with so just throw everyone in there. Check everyone's preference when applying for a visa, tick box cat person or dog person and then when you get here you get a fury bunk mate for you isolation.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's an awful lot of money sitting around that has not been spent on overseas travel. Wouldn't be that bad for the economy, providing people actually holidayed in their own backyard instead to keep the local tourism industry going.
Quick searches indicate that before this shit show, $65B was spent by Aussies overseas vs $60B coming in for tourism here. Already an extra 5 billion dollars in the country due to that! Maybe a little less due to everyone buying bike parts from overseas while in lockdown :)

This of course would rely on our own backyard being open instead of morons like Gladys fucking it for everyone.
Shut the border properly until we can better handle the virus. We're in a 'global' pandemic, should have been treated like one. Not having entitled pricks still travelling the world for little real reason.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
We're in a 'global' pandemic, should have been treated like one. Not having entitled pricks still travelling the world for little real reason.
Sorry but it's this sort of attitude that sticks in my craw.

Nobody is gallivanting off overseas on holidays for shits and giggles. People have been stuck overseas since the outset or they've had to travel for compassionate reasons or for work - Ozzybmx was just telling us all yesterday about how many nurses we've imported to Australia from Ireland just to help manage our health care system. The agricultural industry that puts food on your table is reliant on migrant workers who are on special visas. Merchant shipping and aviation both require people to fly in and out of the country for crew changes and for urgent repair and maintenance work

People just sit there and think that shit just magically appears on their doorstep when they order it or that their supermarket and pharmacy shelves are kept stacked and supplied by mystical fairies but the fact is we are part of a massive global supply chain and that requires people to travel across borders.

I'd also spare a thought for the thousands of people who are reliant on overseas tourism for their livelihoods. Domestic tourism has helped ease the pain in some instances but it's nowhere near enough to cover the shortfall. Same goes for the education sector which WAS the largest employment sector in Victoria thanks to overseas students.
If you're not affected by all this then good for you. You're in a fortunate position and fair play to you but if you're then going to be critical of the people who are, you really need to think about just who is acting 'entitled'

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Why is everyone hellbent on putting this mythical 10,000 capacity (which means 15 - 20,000 units in reality) in Darwin or elsewhere in the outback? If it's as foolproof as everyone makes out to be then on the outskirts of any major coastal city makes far more sense - especially in terms of the logistics required for regular flights coming from the Americas and Africa.

Or do you have such disdain for the indigenous population of Australia that you're happy to put them- the most at-risk demographic- in the firing line instead of your fancy city folk with their high-faluting ways?
Its not about killing off the locals, its about taking the facility out of major cities. Stopping taxi drivers picking up workers then 200 fares around the city later, finds he got the vid from the worker 5 days earlier. Stopping QH security working for peanuts on the nightshift then heading to Uni, work in a pizza shop, doing ubers ect...
Pay them right, pay their quarantine time and get serious about it as it has to be cheaper than shutting down NSW and Vic... and possibly the rest of the country.

Its only an idea thrown out there by opinionated MTBers :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Ozzybmx was just telling us all yesterday about how many nurses we've imported to Australia from Ireland just to help manage our health care system.
UK too, the 2 young ladies from NI my cousin went to meet in Darwin are working at Howard Springs on a 1 year visa.

A bit shit for the UK/Ireland when Australia waves the lollipop. Come to Aus, accommodation provided, work for a year, get paid, corona free, Aussie weather...
What young 'single' nurses in the UK/Ireland wouldn't jump at the chance.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
Early days and perhaps ongoing there were videos of large scale fogging of streets and buildings to kill off the virus germs. Anyone know the efficacy of this fogging?
fogging works fine [just like a roach bomb], against nearly all viruses and many bacteria [no good against TB, ANTHRAX]- it doesn't work well outside, it relies on closed environments for most effectiveness -to guarantee time in contact with the pathogen, winds & air movement outside mean it is next to pointless -you would have to repeat..repeat..repeat.. ie a petrol station fumes will give excellent protection against most viruses cos the petrol is pumped all day.

problem inside is when a human breathes out the virus is present again -so even an uber driver can re-infect-fog car - fog dissipates quickly -he breathes virus out again and new occupant can catch it off him quickly after fogging

better than fogging is maintaining positive/negative air flow & recycle thru some type of hepa filter - you don't notice it when in there but the air is constantly getting sucked up [usually] & returned below you - after passing thru a filter - thats what a Lab uses which has life-threatening agents like anthrax/flu whatever can be airborn

being a drunk gives you the same protection, high alcohol content on your breath keeps many viruses/bacteria away, very few drunks get pneumonia or flu -the Liver is F'd..but they aren't bothered by it