COVID-19: who’s going full doomsday prep on this?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
……

We currently can’t get the numbers down in Victoria and it’s treated seriously there. How in the hell is that going to happen in NSW with 15 times the infections when it spreads exponentially and both the people and the authorities are blasé as all fuck about it?

I swear it’s like banging my head against a brick wall. Yes it’s theoretically possible IF everyone -and I mean everyone- did the right thing by staying home and observing strict social distancing , we all dug deep in our pockets to ensure that those in financial peril were looked after and conspiracy theorists decided to stop being mental.

it’s also theoretically possible that Australia could win the next World Cup by fielding a team of extremely well-trained cats.
The numbers are also not escalating like they have in NSW either and as mentioned by @danncam , majority of Victoria is approaching this with about 70% of the compliance of previous efforts. Fatigue exists, no doubt, but a hell of a lot of it is people resigned to the fact that Gladys/NSW are going to ruin it for us anyway, so what's the point. I still maintain that they could have and should continue to give the rest of the country a little bit of a helping hand by getting realistic with their approach and in particular, their messaging.

Surely no one believes NSW are letting people out in two weeks time, whether vaccinated or not, they are not that stupid.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Can't say I read that whole article in detail, but got the general idea. The cynic in me thinks that the 180 day horizon of modelling in the Doherty Report gets us to the next federal election. If Albo does a Bradbury and we get a Labor government, the LNP can pin it on him when opening up inevitably turns to shit as it has elsewhere in the world.

The University of Sydney warns against opening up in NSW too, based on their own modelling of Delta. The peak is still 6 weeks away.

The National Plan is to simply vaccinate enough people to reduce the body count to a socially defendable level for governments to prioritise the economy and live with Covid in the community. Australians need to decide what our version of 'covid normal' is going to look like. As an island nation with secure borders, why shouldn't we continue to strive for eradication as opposed to Covid being endemic in the community? To me, the latter means that we're all eventually going to have to catch it, which still appears to be a crap-shoot even for those that are fully vaccinated, albeit with better odds. I want Covid as much as I want Ebola or malaria. If we can keep those diseases out, why can't we do the same with Covid, or at least until we're a few more iterations into more effective treatments and there is a better understanding of the long term effects of Covid.
This^1000000000

The short sightedness is astounding. We the people, have been utterly let down by the commonwealth government.

Covid is here for the long term in some shape or form, possibly forever. A rigorous, purpose built quarantine facility or five, located somewhere in this huge nation, with proper quarantine and bio security measures, is a must.

As an island, we need to eliminate and then actually have proper plans and procedures to protect us from covid, and whatever the fuck is coming next. It’s out there. All those movies of deadly viruses don’t seem too crazy now do they?

Imagine a 10,000 person facility a 40 min train ride outside of Darwin, trains can be open, San Francisco tram like, so there is no indoor environment. Then isolation and separation the whole way when on site. It’s not fucking rocket science?

Darwin airport gets an upgrade, that solves the issues of handling the planes and all that entails.

Anyone arguing against the costs hasn’t even begun to add up the costs of this disaster.

Imagine if China decided to start ww3 tomorrow. We’d be 18 months late to the party while scomo and co try to work out how to manufacture guns here for profit.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I am usually a bit on the rule breaking side of things, but not with the pandemic. That said Melbournians are doing fuck all right at the moment. Everyone has their own little reason to bend the rules, booked vax spots don't get turned up to, 5km is more like 20, and masks seem optional at best to half the population.
I am usually also an optimist, but I think we've screwed the pooch and Melbourne is fucked. Protests will keep happening really icing the "embrace covid cake" and we'll end up like NSW before too long.
My and at least 3000 others in my suburbs experience dealing with the health department over our iso shitshow has been an absolute laughable mess. The phrase “couldn’t organise a root in brothel” comes to mind. Even this morning we are getting inconsistent and detail free text messages AFTER being cleared leaving people in utter confusion and a general sense of fuck this it’s all too hard. I’m of the opinion that we got through so far relatively unscathed through luck and Dans hardline approach and messaging in the media and NOT good management. Now that compliance is waning and the Delta bomb is a shed load more difficult to deal with I tend to agree with your sentiments.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
This^1000000000

The short sightedness is astounding. We the people, have been utterly let down by the commonwealth government.

Covid is here for the long term in some shape or form, possibly forever. A rigorous, purpose built quarantine facility or five, located somewhere in this huge nation, with proper quarantine and bio security measures, is a must.

As an island, we need to eliminate and then actually have proper plans and procedures to protect us from covid, and whatever the fuck is coming next. It’s out there. All those movies of deadly viruses don’t seem too crazy now do they?

Imagine a 10,000 person facility a 40 min train ride outside of Darwin, trains can be open, San Francisco tram like, so there is no indoor environment. Then isolation and separation the whole way when on site. It’s not fucking rocket science?

Darwin airport gets an upgrade, that solves the issues of handling the planes and all that entails.

Anyone arguing against the costs hasn’t even begun to add up the costs of this disaster.

Imagine if China decided to start ww3 tomorrow. We’d be 18 months late to the party while scomo and co try to work out how to manufacture guns here for profit.
Why is everyone hellbent on putting this mythical 10,000 capacity (which means 15 - 20,000 units in reality) in Darwin or elsewhere in the outback? If it's as foolproof as everyone makes out to be then on the outskirts of any major coastal city makes far more sense - especially in terms of the logistics required for regular flights coming from the Americas and Africa.

Or do you have such disdain for the indigenous population of Australia that you're happy to put them- the most at-risk demographic- in the firing line instead of your fancy city folk with their high-faluting ways?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Why is everyone hellbent on putting this mythical 10,000 capacity (which means 15 - 20,000 units in reality) in Darwin or elsewhere in the outback? If it's as foolproof as everyone makes out to be then on the outskirts of any major coastal city makes far more sense - especially in terms of the logistics required for regular flights coming from the Americas and Africa.

Or do you have such disdain for the indigenous population of Australia that you're happy to put them- the most at-risk demographic- in the firing line instead of your fancy city folk with their high-faluting ways?
Avalon would probably be a pretty good spot for it since it already has the airport and rail link.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Early days and perhaps ongoing there were videos of large scale fogging of streets and buildings to kill off the virus germs. Anyone know the efficacy of this fogging?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
It was the other contender but the Government have gone with Mickleham, just North of Tullamarine probably on account of logistics, onward flight connections and the fact that these people aren't prisoners.
Mickleham is also the existing biosecurity quarantine facility (where your dog stays when you move from OS unless you're Johnny Depp), so there's probably some benefit in collocation of those. I think Avalon was ScoMo's preference because his bud Lindsay Fox owns it.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Early days and perhaps ongoing there were videos of large scale fogging of streets and buildings to kill off the virus germs. Anyone know the efficacy of this fogging?
It's used in hospitals to fight MSRA so presumably it's effective, not sure about outdoor areas though.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
It was the other contender but the Government have gone with Mickleham, just North of Tullamarine probably on account of logistics, onward flight connections and the fact that these people aren't prisoners. They don't need to be punished by flying into Avalon.
Had a bit chuckle last time I landed in Avalon when a young kid sitting a row back looked out of the window and said " where the hell are we dad?" " I don't know, but it doesn't look like Melbourne". Paddocks as far as you can see..
That's what you get for picking the cheap flights.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I'm interested in the people saying we should continue with an elimination strategy. This requires us to keep our borders closed indefinitely with quarantine in place. There's not many countries in the world with that level of permanent isolation. North Korea springs to mind. I just cant see how it is practical long term.
I am not suggesting in any way that we let it rip, but I do think we need to accept that at some point its going to be a part of life and we are all going to get covid. I'd hope everyone had a fair chance at a vaccination by that point. Therefore, I'm not a fan of the NSW govt approach. Would have been better if we could have had a far greater portion of the population vaxxed before it got loose.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
Mickleham is also the existing biosecurity quarantine facility (where your dog stays when you move from OS unless you're Johnny Depp), so there's probably some benefit in collocation of those. I think Avalon was ScoMo's preference because his bud Lindsay Fox owns it.
I would kill to have a dog to play with in this place! There is a cat that occasionally creeps around at night but he's a bit stand-offish

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'm interested in the people saying we should continue with an elimination strategy. This requires us to keep our borders closed indefinitely with quarantine in place. There's not many countries in the world with that level of permanent isolation. North Korea springs to mind. I just cant see how it is practical long term.
I am not suggesting in any way that we let it rip, but I do think we need to accept that at some point its going to be a part of life and we are all going to get covid. I'd hope everyone had a fair chance at a vaccination by that point. Therefore, I'm not a fan of the NSW govt approach. Would have been better if we could have had a far greater portion of the population vaxxed before it got loose.
Make quarantine isolation period mandatory to be completed in a quarantine facility, at the visitor's expense, subject to availability. Open the borders.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For how long? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?
Unless the developing nations are significantly vaccinated, variants of this disease will be around for a long, long time.
We cocked up our chance to get things right over the last 18 months, so why not take the opportunity to plan for the future and any further events that may come our way.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
For how long? 1 year, 5 years, 10 years?
Proportionate to the risk factors of the traveller. I guess it would depend on country of origin (calm down Peter Dutton, I'm not talking about racial sorting, just endemic viruses) and country/countries involved in the person's travel and that/those country's current contagious diseases/outbreaks, tailoring the quarantine period to cover potential infectious periods.

I imagine three weeks would cover most bases, but would leave that to the science people.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Border's aren't "closed" anyway. 100,000 travellers per month is hardly a border "closure", it's a 1/10th of normal. If you need to travel for business you can get out / come back in.

We won't need to keep borders closed forever. There is some excellent research currently underway in Australia and overseas aimed at increasing immune response in the mucus membranes which if successful will prevent transmission. This would be a covid game changer (and perhaps also for the flu and other respiratory viruses). We are also learning more and more every day on how to manage covid patients, so the current death rates are much less than when it first arrived on the scene. These death rates will only reduce as we learn more about treatment.

We just need to buy ourselves enough time so the science can catch up with the situation and that the medical system is not inundated.