Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

shakes

Likes Dirt
Can I say that it was bad enough losing the two strokes, now theres the impending arrival of a host of bikes which sound like outsized electric R/C buggies, and I'm not down with it at all.

smokers are starting to make it on the Motard circuit too from the little I get to see of it.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
and don't forget Maico are making a bit of a come back with a huge range of two strokes, they will be releasing 250cc 320cc 380cc 500cc and 700cc variants of supermotards in the near future, I can't wait to see what they look like!

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Yep and there is also Gas Gas, Husquavana, Husaberg (re-badged KTM), Sherco + others all releasing 2stokes as well this year.

skivi

Likes Dirt
the XR is getting a bit hard to start when cold and there's a bit of a flat spot in the low to midrange, i suspect the carby could use a good clean as i think the float is sticking, I've been quoted $150 for a professional clean and new seals etc if i take in just the carb otherwise 'a couple of hundred' if i bring in the bike for a carby clean & dyno tune. i figure i might as well give it a go myself, has anyone got any good links to carb rebuilds on the web or any tips/advice? it's a 28mm keihin

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
DONT use carby cleaner.
Acetone and cotton buds are the go, treat everything gently when you pull it apart.
It's only one, have a go. 4 is a touch harder.

Once you have it going, go for a ride how you normally would then do a plug chop to check the mixture.
With a midrange flat spot, look for any wear in the main needle jet. This can lead to rich midrange and sooty/oily plug.

skivi

Likes Dirt
for Piers:

Ducati NCR 900

[video=youtube;Tlc743nbiBA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlc743nbiBA[/video]

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Cool video, pity they felt the need to have the two ugly susters of Page and Plant over the top of the real rock n roll!

skivi

Likes Dirt
MUCH shinier then my old rust bucket. is it yours to keep or is your old man doing some work on it?

I'm chucking the boxes of rust into the ute and going over to a mates place this weekend to moch the bike up and weld a few things, loads of new parts to go on but alas still shit loads of work to do before it's ready for rego.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Went round to a mates workplace to give him a hand with his car, he mentioned his boss had some nice bikes in a shed so I brought the camera along..

Group shot:

TM Racing 125:

Maico 500cc 2 stroke:

Old school Maico:

Older school Maico:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
MUCH shinier then my old rust bucket. is it yours to keep or is your old man doing some work on it?

I'm chucking the boxes of rust into the ute and going over to a mates place this weekend to moch the bike up and weld a few things, loads of new parts to go on but alas still shit loads of work to do before it's ready for rego.
It's mine, all mine! It was one of those right place, right time sort of deals that i just couldn't pass up. As with anything that old it's not perfect but it's still going much better than the rest of my bikes

skivi

Likes Dirt
It's mine, all mine! It was one of those right place, right time sort of deals that i just couldn't pass up. As with anything that old it's not perfect but it's still going much better than the rest of my bikes
I hate you.

I might get you to take some photos of a few parts somewhere down the track if i can't remember how mine goes together.

just watched 'On Any Sunday' again after work today & i was thinking to myself i really must add a tasty 70's VMX or Vinduro bike to the stable, that one would do nicely.

floody

Wheel size expert
Awesome Maicos! My dad is restoring a 1977 400 Maico, I don't have a current pic but here it is when he got it in 1976.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
heads up to the melbourne guys as well, peter stevens has about 30 bikes on display in the harley heaven/triumph store, well worth a look theres some pretty interesting stuff. il see if im allowed to take a couple of happy snaps on monday

skivi

Likes Dirt
311721_10150337060715728_528820727_8551037_913859453_n.jpg

dragged the bike to a mates place yesterday and got the motor and gearbox out of the plunger frame and into a nice rigid one I found, the axle plates had been previously modified so we made some new ones but will now need to find someone who can make me some spacers for the axle before I sort out a brake plate stay. lots to do but i already have a mountain of new or refurbed parts ready to go on so have put the bike inside the house now while it goes back together so it's constant presence will hopefully keep me motivated!

NCR600

Likes Dirt
Looks good!

Is that a Nebula poster in the background?
Wish I could say I was working on something right now.