Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

Bermshot

Banned
I used to think about something like this years ago. (more like a mini reactor but hey I was a teenager :)

So being lazy and not looking at the site, questions. What are comparable weights with that big battery? At a guess I will say lighter due to unnecessary sundries, no carb, air box or exhaust, no fuel, gears/oil? Radiator + fluid and so on.

A plus would be you could have full blown Moto races not far from suburbia without any whinging! But what a loss of 'essence', no standing next to the grid with 40 Thumpers at full roar giving you palpatations. It would be like watching a BMX race on roids hahaha, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. :)

shakes

Likes Dirt
I used to think about something like this years ago. (more like a mini reactor but hey I was a teenager :)

So being lazy and not looking at the site, questions. What are comparable weights with that big battery? At a guess I will say lighter due to unnecessary sundries, no carb, air box or exhaust, no fuel, gears/oil? Radiator + fluid and so on.

A plus would be you could have full blown Moto races not far from suburbia without any whinging! But what a loss of 'essence', no standing next to the grid with 40 Thumpers at full roar giving you palpatations. It would be like watching a BMX race on roids hahaha, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either. :)
I have an old dirt bike mag here somewhere with a review and a big test ride of the first gen version. They described it as being similar to riding an overweight downhill bike rather than an underweight moto. Was ~65kg's and comparable speed/accel to a strong 250 4stroke. Only had a short run time... They were raving how it would open up so many riding area's to them because of current noise restraints.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I have an old dirt bike mag here somewhere with a review and a big test ride of the first gen version. They described it as being similar to riding an overweight downhill bike rather than an underweight moto. Was ~65kg's and comparable speed/accel to a strong 250 4stroke. Only had a short run time... They were raving how it would open up so many riding area's to them because of current noise restraints.
Was it the above one, or a lighter one made with MTB parts(Monster Ts etc)?
I've seen a um, I can't recall the name, maybe Zero or something, road registerd motardy looking dirt bike thnig. I got a pic at home, I'll load it up. There's an Ozzy distributor for them.

shakes

Likes Dirt
it was MX based and they had a motard version coming. I'll find the mag/article when I get a chance

Ivan

Eats Squid
it was MX based and they had a motard version coming. I'll find the mag/article when I get a chance
Your refering to the Zero, because I remember the article in Australasian Dirt Bike.

The Zero is not a full sized MX or motard bike like this one.

They're are lots of electric bikes out there from small manufacturers, but this one looks the most promising (and probably most expensive too).

Ivan

Eats Squid
Another promising bike is the Brammo six speed electric. It uses a 6 speed gearbox, and apparently feels a lot more similar to a petrol bike to ride than other electric bikes.

5685969879_b24a0639cf.jpg

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
Another promising bike is the Brammo six speed electric. It uses a 6 speed gearbox, and apparently feels a lot more similar to a petrol bike to ride than other electric bikes.

View attachment 207709
how would you know when to change gears though ? if you cant really hear anything and their isnt any Rpm to look for to change ?? it would be a very strange experience coming off a normal motard or any petrol bike

but that bike looks really sick ! better looking then most motards for sale.

Bermshot

Banned
how would you know when to change gears though ? if you cant really hear anything and their isnt any Rpm to look for to change ?? it would be a very strange experience coming off a normal motard or any petrol bike

Good point. Stupid question but would it be an auto? Electric is automatic by nature isn't it? + do electrics have a clutch or are they just not needed due to how the power is delivered?

floody

Wheel size expert
Electric motor power delivery is very flexible, power 'band' a lot wider than internal combustion, but I still think you would need some sort of transmission to help modulate engine speed and load. An auto or CVT would make most sense. You would imagine a CVT coupled to an electric motor would have amazing traction and hillclimbing ability.

I should imagine that any type of manual 'box would require you to shift more based on load and ground speed than RPM, so really not tremendously different (although the way you discern shift points would take some getting used to).

Ivan

Eats Squid

Electric motors still make noise, especially when your sitting on top of one. An RPM gage would probably help too!

Good point. Stupid question but would it be an auto? Electric is automatic by nature isn't it? + do electrics have a clutch or are they just not needed due to how the power is delivered?
Electric is automatic by nature?? not sure what you mean by that.

The Brammo has a clutch and six gears just like a regular petrol bike.

[video=youtube;W9VaVS5Jqrg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VaVS5Jqrg[/video]

CRF2er, made by some guy with a lot of spare time and 2 electric motors

[video=youtube;yQQch7chbco]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQQch7chbco[/video]

floody

Wheel size expert
Can I say that it was bad enough losing the two strokes, now theres the impending arrival of a host of bikes which sound like outsized electric R/C buggies, and I'm not down with it at all.

Bermshot

Banned
I just meant that electric would just continuously 'wind out' as more power is applied wouldn't it?. What am i trying to say.... um, would there really be any limit to RPM with an electric motor, for example could the (magneto?) wind to 30,000 rpms therefore eliminating a gearbox?

Just trying to get my head around it.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Can I say that it was bad enough losing the two strokes, now theres the impending arrival of a host of bikes which sound like outsized electric R/C buggies, and I'm not down with it at all.
We have lost two strokes from mainstream MX thats about all. The euros are going great guns with their range of enduro and MX two smokers. KTM alone this year released 4 enduro 2 strokes, 3 of which we get in Australia and all of those can be road registered to boot!

Edit: Ktm released 3 full size (+125cc) MX bikes this year as well.

2ndEdit: IF you count the hybrid xc s released in the US then add another 3-4 to the total for KTM this year.

Last edited:

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
can i highjack for a few seconds (feel free to pm with replys as to no screw the thread)

im in need of replacing my Buell X1 lightning clutch, and having trouble finding an aftermarket unit, let alone a high performance version. im not prepared to fork out the cash for a OEM version as that is just about as good as buying a new bike.
any thoughts?

NCR600

Likes Dirt
can i highjack for a few seconds (feel free to pm with replys as to no screw the thread)

im in need of replacing my Buell X1 lightning clutch, and having trouble finding an aftermarket unit, let alone a high performance version. im not prepared to fork out the cash for a OEM version as that is just about as good as buying a new bike.
any thoughts?
Barnett don't do anything? I'd be surprised if they didn't. Serco used to bring in the Barnett stuff when I was involved in that game, although I don't know who does now.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Barnett don't do anything? I'd be surprised if they didn't. Serco used to bring in the Barnett stuff when I was involved in that game, although I don't know who does now.
thats whats in there, but i cant find them on google or anything, google shows handbags. now i like handbags as much as the next guy but it wouldnt make the most effective clutch.