Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Out of all the wild and crazy Millyard specials, I think the simplest one is my favourite: This 100cc Honda 50-based V-twin. Magic. How is the sound!
Wow… that is fantastic, thanks for the heads up. I love SS50 Hondas, and that 90 degree vee twin SS100 is incredible. Imagine how much work went into making that thing!

I got hip to SS50’s in Vietnam and immediately had to have one. Over there they are the gangster/pimp/badass bike of choice… and a v-twin version would be a complete show stopper.

Here’s my 1967 Honda SS50, which I bought in Saigon.

Attachments

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My old man is Ducati nutbag..... 65 yo and polishes/maintains his collection and rides them very little.

I've had a few, last was a 998s. Not much point in buying one when I can take my pick from his bunch
Not been home in a few years (he lives in Europe) but the last time i was home he had.

784R (series 2)
999S
998R
900SS FE
749r ( Supersport race prep)

By far my favourite Ducati is the Supermono race bike from the 90's... rocking horse shit and gorgeous!

Attachments

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
My old man is Ducati nutbag..... 65 yo and polishes/maintains his collection and rides them very little.

I've had a few, last was a 998s. Not much point in buying one when I can take my pick from his bunch
Not been home in a few years (he lives in Europe) but the last time i was home he had.

784R (series 2)
999S
998R
900SS FE
749r ( Supersport race prep)

By far my favourite Ducati is the Supermono race bike from the 90's... rocking horse shit and gorgeous!
Yeah how cool were they. Smashed the singles racing. Did they get banned or what happened to them. What motor were they with the dummy cylinder?
YOUR DAD SURE KNOWS HOW TO GET YOU TO COME VISIT.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
What motor were they with the dummy cylinder? YOUR DAD SURE KNOWS HOW TO GET YOU TO COME VISIT.
No dummy cylinder, but a conrod going to a pivot at the small end. Very clever way of getting close to the perfect primary balance of a 90 degree vtwin.

Ditto about going home to see Dad...

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Here's mine, I reckon it falls under the category of cool.

Honda NC750SA, I've never seen another one on the road. Beautiful to look at and ride. The fuel tank isn't a fuel tank, it opens to reveal storage space for a helmet. The fuel tank is actually under the seat.

Best bike I've ever owned.

WP_20150709_002.jpg

Markee

Likes Dirt
I'll join in this I think. These are my two. April and Miss Jane!
April
2007 Aprilia SXV 550
Bought this as a road going bike back in 2008 , brand new after selling my DRZ400sm.
Rode it on the road for about 700kms and chose the track instead, so much safer. Yeah right!
Raced it all over the country from mates organised ride days, to club racing, state champs and nationals.
This thing owes me two collarbones and a knee reco along with numerous other bits of metal, rubber, leather and carbon fibre and, is why it's currently in a million pieces on the shelf in my shed.
Wifey put it this way after the last broken collarbone, if you can't afford to crash you can't afford to race. So I retired from Supermoto racing at that point two years ago and now, since taking up MTB I've not an inkling to go back.
I will keep April though, she was my first new motorcycle purchase and currently my only. So plenty sentimentals there.
I have been dreaming of making a registrable dirt tracker out of her but only time will tell if I've got a post or ten for the build your own bike/car thread on here.
Here she is right before she threw me to the weeds for the final time.

Obligatory action shot

And this is Miss Jane, she is April's naughty little dirty sister!
2010 Aprilia MXV450
Miss Jane is unique, very unique here in Aus. She is one of only 4. All of them privately imported and only three of them are MX bikes (all from the US) the other coming from the UK as a Supermoto but with the MX wheels in the crate.
I know all of the other owners as well, as owning either of these bikes requires intimate knowledge of how to deal with an Italian motorcycle brand and how to openly give money, lots of it, to the gods of speed willingly and easily!
Currently setup for flat track but have another rear wheel, the original that I bolt in with an MX tyre for bumpy dirt duties.

Both are very different from the conventional 4 stroke motocross bike model in that for one, they are a fuel injected v-twin and two the engine forms an integral part of the frame structure. They rev to the moon and make all their power higher in the rev range. April was dyno'd at 66hp at the rear wheel and Miss Jane as a 450 isn't far behind.
The supermoto has had so many mods to make it go, look great and handle that it's just to long to write about. The MXV is mostly stock apart from the dirt track rear wheel, the twin Arrow exhaust and the 5 speed gear box upgrade I've got waiting to go in.
I've just started the final year of my electrical apprenticeship and finally starting to earn some decent coin again. My dreams of a grass tracker aren't really that far off and more time spared would allow more riding in the dirt on the MXV but MTB is just so good right now! hehe

Cheers

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Many years ago used to race in a local speedway sidecar championship.

The was by far the most interesting of the bikes.
GSXR 1000 engined running on meth. No brakes lol.

Also for giggles a mate and I ran in what was called the 'bucket' championships. Had to be 250cc air cooled. Ours was Kwacka Z250 engined.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Many years ago used to race in a local speedway sidecar championship
So I assume not in Victoria. I enjoy speedway but no bikes down here (but have really enjoyed them in NSW in past).

This is amongst the many Aussie iconic race projects a guy I met in the 80's dealt with.

John Bennett from Head Mod (for those old enough to remember)

http://www.ozlaverda.com/australia-s-quickest-chair-dpa-laverda-t59.html

His other achievements:

http://www.ozlaverda.com/john-bennett-head-mod-engine-development-t97.html

Last edited:

floody

Wheel size expert
Yeah how cool were they. Smashed the singles racing.
Yeah, against all manner of production based or shed built things for the most part... 650 trailbike motors in TZ frames and that kind of thing. Big fish, small pond. I found the whole episode pretty bizarre to be honest, no idea why Ducati cranked so much money and time into a bike for a glorified clubman event...but it is great that they did.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I assume not in Victoria. I enjoy speedway but no bikes down here (but have really enjoyed them in NSW in past).

This is amongst the many Aussie iconic race projects a guy I met in the 80's dealt with.

John Bennett from Head Mod (for those old enough to remember)

http://www.ozlaverda.com/australia-s-quickest-chair-dpa-laverda-t59.html

His other achievements:

http://www.ozlaverda.com/john-bennett-head-mod-engine-development-t97.html
Yeah mate was in Vic. Home track was Broadford but raced around some of the other speedway tracks around vic. Not many do both cars and bikes, usually one or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3BeN-byM48

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Yeah, against all manner of production based or shed built things for the most part... 650 trail-bike motors in TZ frames and that kind of thing. Big fish, small pond. I found the whole episode pretty bizarre to be honest, no idea why Ducati cranked so much money and time into a bike for a glorified clubman event...but it is great that they did.
I hear what your saying, but still, the competition was the most refined singles from every other brand. Rotax(sp?), KTM, all the Jap brands, Husky. Most with a massive wealth of available knowledge behind them. But I suppose none truly dedicated to road racing like the Duke was. Did it get outcast by rule changes? Or what was it's demise? Maybe Ducati were trying to invigorate the class and encourage other manufacturers to follow suit. Sure blew my DR big engine in RGV frame dreams out of the water.
Did anyone ever barstardize the engine into a Motard frame, or Dakar bike or anything?

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Trawling through this thread there is a stack of flat tracking pics… here’s one that my good riding buddy gave me for my workshop. Nicky Hayden doing it feet up.

I grew up on a farm with flat hundred acre paddocks, so I spent a LOT of time doing feet up slides.

Attachments

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
My FIL rides a 1981 CB900 he has had since new, and just bought another 1982 CB1100R. He is 74, and still rides it (fast) - rode it up here to Canberra via Cann River with some mates last October for the Japanese Vintage bike meet, and then back to Melbourne through Cooma and Wang.

Hope I'm tooling around like that when I'm his age!!

My Dad had a kwaka Z900 back in early 70s before I was born, and Suzuki triple water bottle - wish he'd kept them....

floody

Wheel size expert
I hear what your saying, but still, the competition was the most refined singles from every other brand.
The Ducati was a purpose built, full factory effort racing against fettled trailbike engines in old GP tiddler frames. There was no other factory effort I'm aware of.