Cool, Old Skool,trick and interesting motorcycle thread

skivi

Likes Dirt
Is that a Nebula poster in the background?
it tis. that's my mates new motorbike shed, it's about 4m wide x 13m long with walls about half a foot thick for good insulation, the walls and floor are covered in a stain resistant splash proof liner they use in new Siemens trains he got cheap, there's oodles of bench space as well as a hydraulic lift. he has a '41 80ci flathead Harley, an XS 650 and a unit 650 triumph in a rigid pre-unit frame.

skivi

Likes Dirt
some CBX Honda six cylinder action from Sweden, enjoy!

[video=youtube;1A6R5FdtSUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A6R5FdtSUk[/video]

[video=youtube;SCG3IEDx2r8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCG3IEDx2r8[/video]

Ivan

Eats Squid
There's so little new gear in dirt bikes lately its easy to get excited about....well anything really.

KTM shaking the status quo

[video=youtube;n2eUucG4gwU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2eUucG4gwU[/video]

[video=youtube;t5SqoyR8Ht0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5SqoyR8Ht0[/video]

Graunched

Likes Dirt
There's so little new gear in dirt bikes lately its easy to get excited about....well anything really.

KTM shaking the status quo
You are ummmmmmmmm joking arnt you?

If not check out:

• the new Fantics
  • Christini 2WD
  • New Oassa enduro range
  • The WP Trax shock
  • FI on most modern 4 strokes
  • 02 pursuit motorcycle
  • Advancements in electrically powered dirtbikes

just for starters......

Last edited:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt

If not check out:

• the new Fantics
  • Christini 2WD
  • New Oassa enduro range
  • The WP Trax shock
  • FI on most modern 4 strokes
  • 02 pursuit motorcycle
  • Advancements in electrically powered dirtbikes

just for starters......
Me, I can't wait to see some DI two strokes.

Ivan

Eats Squid

If not check out:
  • Advancements in electrically powered dirtbike
just for starters......

Not joking.

Most of the stuff you've listed, like the christini system, is old news. FI has been around on cars for nearly 25 years. If it wasn't for declining motorbike sales, this stuff would have been developed by the the big Jap manufacturers ages ago. As you can see from what you've listed, the Jap Manufacturers have put dirt bike development on the low priority list and the europeans are doing all the development.

Electric Dirt bikes and full DI 2 Strokes I'd get excited about.

Last edited:

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Me, I can't wait to see some DI two strokes.
Wait no longer. See links below

Not joking.

Most of the stuff you've listed, like the christini system, is old news. FI has been around on cars for nearly 25 years. If it wasn't for declining motorbike sales, this stuff would have been developed by the the big Jap manufacturers ages ago. As you can see from what you've listed, the Jap Manufacturers have put dirt bike development on the low priority list and the europeans are doing all the development.

Electric Dirt bikes and full DI 2 Strokes I'd get excited about.
Maybe so but the christini system has only been available to punters in the last couple of years where you can buy a full kit in late model frames etc. I think lack of Japanese development has a fair bit more to do with it than just motorbike sales. Quite possibly its the inferior product and their inability to catch up to where the euros are now with their development. Yes FI has been around on cars for 25 years, it hasnt been on dirt bikes though.

Full DI 2 strokes are all ready here. As I said check out the Ossa range... while you are at it have a look at the reverse mounted engine in the enduro range with the expansion chamber tucked up out of harms way.... Now that IS something to get excited about. KTM free ride = detuned 350EXC-F engine in a lightened package = meh...

The electric KTM is pretty cool though not really anything out of the ordinary. You have been able to buy electric dirt bikes for some time now.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dirt_bike/141_1108_2011_ossa_tr280i_riding_impression/index.html

http://www.ossamotor.es/EN/models.php?idMoto=337

EDIT: More on the ossa and a few other electric bikes

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2011/11/ossa-250300-i-the-future-of-enduro/

http://www.transmoto.com.au/publish...-of-Prototypes-from-the-EICMA-Motorcycle-Expo

Another feature of the ossa is a low mounted battery, fuel tank wedged in between the frame and the air filter position. That lowering of centre of gravity coupled with FI + expansion chamber tucked away definitely has me thinking of the possibility of upgrading to it when it comes time to sell my 2011 300EXC late next year.

Last edited:

Ivan

Eats Squid
Wait no longer. See links below

Maybe so but the christini system has only been available to punters in the last couple of years where you can buy a full kit in late model frames etc. I think lack of japanese development has a fair bit more to do with it than just motorbike sales. Quite possibly its the inferior product and their inability to catch up to where the euros are now with their development. Yes FI has been around on cars for 25 years, it hasnt been on dirt bikes though.

Full DI 2 strokes are all ready here. As I said check out the Ossa range... while you are at it have a look at the reverse mounted engine in the enduro range with the expansion chamber tucked up out of harms way.... Now that IS something to get excited about. KTM free ride = detuned 350EXC-F engine in a lightened package = meh...

The electric KTM is pretty cool though not really anything out of the ordinarly. You have been able to buy electric dirtbikes for some time now.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dirt_bike/141_1108_2011_ossa_tr280i_riding_impression/index.html

http://www.ossamotor.es/EN/models.php?idMoto=337

EDIT: More on the ossa and a few other electric bikes

http://twostrokemotocross.com/2011/11/ossa-250300-i-the-future-of-enduro/

http://www.transmoto.com.au/publish...-of-Prototypes-from-the-EICMA-Motorcycle-Expo

Another feature of the ossa is a low mounted battery, fuel tank wedged in between the frame and the air filter position. That lowering of centre of gravity coupled with FI + expansion chamber tucked away definitly has me thinking of the possibility of uprading to it when it comes time to sell my 2011 300EXC late next year.
In case your interested, there's a thread over on dirtbikeworld where a guy has just blueprinted his 2011 300exc. Sounds like its made a hellava difference.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
In case your interested, there's a thread over on dirtbikeworld where a guy has just blueprinted his 2011 300exc. Sounds like its made a hellava difference.
Yeah I have been following it with interest however it's not really what I am after in a 2 stroke. I had a 200exc before the 300 and loved wringing its neck. The extra torque is great with the 300, but as I want a bit more 'excitement' and to not get beaten up so much by it in long races I will most probably be going down to a 250 2 stroke of some description next year.

The path that he has chosen to go down re tuning is a break from the ordinary pipe, jetting, head work etc which is pretty cool but it will most probably end up being a fair bit more expensive for the average punter than what he was quoted as he has alot of industry connections. Still it is something to consider...

Will be interesting to see what living with it long term is like as he has just performed the mods and has not spent that much time on it yet.

Last edited:

skivi

Likes Dirt
also here's a pic of my mates Guz Falcone 500, it was purchased new from the factory by his father, ridden around europe then brought home to rural Victoria after the holiday, the bike has almost nearly had rego every year of it's life and it's current trophy winning condition is a result of a 3 year restoration, every fastener was hand made (helps when you're a tool maker by trade) once again it's back on full road rego and gets ridden regularly.

I've never really had much of an interest in Italian bikes but having now spend quite a bit of time ogling this bike in Pete's garage i realise the Italians really knew what they were doing when they built bikes like this, considering this example is only about 5ish years older then my two BSA's they're worlds apart, as i delve deeper into old bikes (through reading and just hands on spannering on my bikes) i'm really now coming to see how the Poms dropped the ball after the second world war, in my opinion that's when they stopped innovating and started to make bikes to a cost, they were no longer a forerunner in the industry just a mass producer, a bit like china now, not that hey didnt still make some good bikes but when i read stuff like the A65 was originally designed to be a DOHC twin but was instead changed to OHV with a bush on the timing side of the crank i can see how the entry of the Japanese multis to the market really killed the Poms in the arse.

-Nick

NCR600

Likes Dirt
I love how he's got the Shannons quote at 80-100k in the ebay ad. Like Shannons would know anything. They refused to quote my race bike and when pressed, would only insure it for 8k tops, because "It's not on the list and we can only insure it as a standard 600 Pantah"

Does anyone know a good insurance broker that will insure obscure vintage racing motorcycles for fire & theft?

also here's a pic of my mates Guz Falcone 500, it was purchased new from the factory by his father, ridden around europe then brought home to rural Victoria after the holiday, the bike has almost nearly had rego every year of it's life and it's current trophy winning condition is a result of a 3 year restoration, every fastener was hand made (helps when you're a tool maker by trade) once again it's back on full road rego and gets ridden regularly.

I've never really had much of an interest in Italian bikes but having now spend quite a bit of time ogling this bike in Pete's garage i realise the Italians really knew what they were doing when they built bikes like this, considering this example is only about 5ish years older then my two BSA's they're worlds apart, as i delve deeper into old bikes (through reading and just hands on spannering on my bikes) i'm really now coming to see how the Poms dropped the ball after the second world war, in my opinion that's when they stopped innovating and started to make bikes to a cost, they were no longer a forerunner in the industry just a mass producer, a bit like china now, not that hey didnt still make some good bikes but when i read stuff like the A65 was originally designed to be a DOHC twin but was instead changed to OHV with a bush on the timing side of the crank i can see how the entry of the Japanese multis to the market really killed the Poms in the arse.

-Nick
The poms made intresting motorcycles pre war. Even the post war greats like Manx Nortons were heavily derived from prewar technology. Edward Turner stuffed everything with the Triumph Speed Twin. After he designed that, all the other manufacturers copied his 360 degree parallel twins for maximum jackhammer vibration and minimum manufacturing costs in exchange for relatively high power figures.

The real killer of the Brit bike industry however was cheap British cars like the Mini and Hillman Imp. All of a sudden people could afford a nice little car for little more than the cost of solo, and about the same as a sidecar outfit. The Japanese merely danced on the grave of Norton, Triumph and BSA.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day guys,

We've had a '96 ATK 605 in the family for about 10 years...I bought it in 2005, rode it for about 12 months and then parked it because of a snapped clutch cable of all things.

For those who don't know what an ATK is, it's an American built, Rotax motored "boutique" with all the fruit from stock - Talon hubs, White Power/Paioli/Ohlins suspension (depends on what year/model), Brembo brakes etc. Like an American TM. This model punched out the same horsepower as an XR650 but weighed less than an XR400 at the time. It has some very unique features for its time - the curved frame that was also an oil tank, linkless rear suspension, cam belt instead of chain etc.

I've been meaning to build it into a motard for the last few years and after a lot of false starts, I'm finally going. I don't plan on sparing any expense, and I'll openly admit that aesthetics are equally as important as performance. This is my first restoration/rebuild so I'm gearing myself up for plenty of hurdles.

Here's how she looked prior to stripping -

ATK by JonnoLucas, on Flickr

As I started stripping it...you can see the curved frame well here.

ATK2 by JonnoLucas, on Flickr

And today, after the frame, subframe, engine cradle and swingarm were powdercoated black. A big thanks to Phil at A1 Motorcycle Paint and Repair (http://a1motorcyclerepairs.com.au/) -

photo by JonnoLucas, on Flickr

Next step is getting an anodised nut and bolt kit, and getting the suspension and wheels sorted so I can set it up as a rolling chassis. This could take a while...

mlsred

Likes Dirt
thought I might show you guys my custom street triple R
542430_10150983917103958_863403371_n.jpg
I bought it brand new from work so it was inevitable I was going to fiddle with it, within the first week I added a 3 into one arrow pipe, bar end mirror, gel seat, hugger and some nice short levers. I was loving my new street triple it was the best thing I have ever ridden hands down. Then my latest customisation came in the form of a vt commodore which made it look like this
533333_10150983943503958_1917249876_n.jpg
so moral of the story kids
a) don't trust commodores, they will decide it's fun to turn right across your lane at any time and cause a head on crash
b) commodores hurt when hit head on at 70 kays an hour
c) please get insurance on your toys, even being sensible shit just goes wrong sometimes

edit: I know it doesn't look that bad in the photo but the engine has actually been snapped out of the frame, it snapped all the engine mounts and pushed the engine back up into the bike

Last edited:

mlsred

Likes Dirt
not good at all, shattered all the bones in my right leg, compound fracture in femur and fibula :eek: and I dislocated my right knee and shattered my left knee into 10 pieces, as well as tearing off all the ligaments in both knees. Like I always say if it's worth doing it's worth doing properly!

On the up side I have heaps of time to work on all these things I have in the shed now.

skivi

Likes Dirt
hey Steve, works been flat chat of late but I have a big bundle of 1970's Easyriders magazines here for you with more hairy you-know-what's then your stomach can handle, i'll see if i can nip by the hospital again this weekend to drop 'em off, hope you're doing well man.

also here's yours truly on a mates '44 U-model HD I just shot for a magazine last weekend:

this was hands down the most fun bike i've ever had the opportunity to ride, you all know I love stone axe motorcycles but this was just crazy, foot clutch and suicide shift. it absolutely hauls ass, starts easy and idles like a clock, i've never been a Harley person though I have always appreciated the early flatheads from afar, now I'm scared I have to have one too.

-Nick