Confessions from the fuckwits

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
I need to stay out of these conversations!!!
not at all! its just a meme. Dunno if its coincidental or you're actually something like a gas fitter/plumber and hence the name and the technical knowledge. Was just a prime moment to deploy the meme lol

LPG

likes thicc birds
not at all! its just a meme. Dunno if its coincidental or you're actually something like a gas fitter/plumber and hence the name and the technical knowledge. Was just a prime moment to deploy the meme lol
Haha, it's a variation of my name/initials. I've got technical knowledge in some areas but the extent of LPG in this is using it to heat bloody big gears and similar to shrink them on shafts.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Haha, it's a variation of my name/initials. I've got technical knowledge in some areas but the extent of LPG in this is using it to heat bloody big gears and similar to shrink them on shafts.
so it was a coincidence. thats even better lol

Reactions: LPG

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
My first fire training session was conducted by a guy who ran the fire response department at Sydney airport in the 70s or 80s. He had two 45kg gas bottles connected together with a single copper pipe sticking out. He would open up the valves and walk away and throw a lit cigarette into the gas stream. Boooooom and the fire was massive. Shooting out into the open away from us. Then he would talk to us about other stuff. The whole time everyone is looking at this massive flame. After a couple of minutes he said that, gesturing to the flames, that is nothing to be concerned about and walked over and turned off the valves. Then relit it the same way. He said that is only a problem if it is fueling another fire or there is heat reflected onto the bottles. If you cannot get to the valves and it is just burning in the air let it burn out. He then asked a few of us to extinguish the flames with various extinguisers. Each time one worked he lit it again. Finally after a few guys tried water extinguishers he said so water can't put out a gas flame? Most agreed. He then turned on the hydrant mains and smashed it with the fire hose. Yep it went out. Then he had the smallest demo foam system I have ever seen. He showed us what the foam can do. Hooked that to a 9L water extinguisher and put out the fire. Really impressive. Sadly that particular stuff was deemed too nasty.

In the time I was there his record was hundreds of fires lit, one real and very nasty fire extinguised with no injuries.

cammas

Seamstress
Guys I worked with told me stories of how they use lay down old oxy bottles down at the end of a industrial dock and smash the top off to see how far they could go into the water

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Guys I worked with told me stories of how they use lay down old oxy bottles down at the end of a industrial dock and smash the top off to see how far they could go into the water
thats even worse lol. At least using some sparklers they would have had time to get away :p

nathanm

Eats Squid
My first fire training session was conducted by a guy who ran the fire response department at Sydney airport in the 70s or 80s. He had two 45kg gas bottles connected together with a single copper pipe sticking out. He would open up the valves and walk away and throw a lit cigarette into the gas stream. Boooooom and the fire was massive. Shooting out into the open away from us. Then he would talk to us about other stuff. The whole time everyone is looking at this massive flame. After a couple of minutes he said that, gesturing to the flames, that is nothing to be concerned about and walked over and turned off the valves. Then relit it the same way. He said that is only a problem if it is fueling another fire or there is heat reflected onto the bottles. If you cannot get to the valves and it is just burning in the air let it burn out. He then asked a few of us to extinguish the flames with various extinguisers. Each time one worked he lit it again. Finally after a few guys tried water extinguishers he said so water can't put out a gas flame? Most agreed. He then turned on the hydrant mains and smashed it with the fire hose. Yep it went out. Then he had the smallest demo foam system I have ever seen. He showed us what the foam can do. Hooked that to a 9L water extinguisher and put out the fire. Really impressive. Sadly that particular stuff was deemed too nasty.

In the time I was there his record was hundreds of fires lit, one real and very nasty fire extinguised with no injuries.
I too did a fire course 20 years ago. Similar demo with gas but the one I really loved was a cup full of water tipped onto a cooking Oil Fire in a pot.

Flow-Rider

Burner
We had a gas forklift refuelling station catch on fire next door, the tank didn't breakup into pieces, but it shot the inspection hatch to the tank like a missile. The tanks have to be a certain thickness so that they can withstand the heat, not sure if it was designed for the hatch to release the pressure. Health and safety and the fire people went and done an examination of it after it exploded.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Man, all this talk of gas bottles has me really considering ways to burn off my brake pads next time they get contaminated!

Or in my case, maybe I can repeat my slicko-thinning experiment with just some gentle removal of gas bottle valves...

Flow-Rider

Burner
Man, all this talk of gas bottles has me really considering ways to burn off my brake pads next time they get contaminated!

Or in my case, maybe I can repeat my slicko-thinning experiment with just some gentle removal of gas bottle valves...
They're fairly safe if you follow all the safety procedures, people become complacent and ignorant, then trouble follows.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
They're fairly safe if you follow all the safety procedures, people become complacent and ignorant, then trouble follows.
Ha, my comment was very tongue in cheek, perhaps I should have said "new and exciting" ways to burn off my pads ;) And my slicko experiment is documented somehwere in the annals of this very thread.

In all seriousness though, the BBQ isn't my preferred pad heater - the taste of pad material isn't great with steak!

cammas

Seamstress
I love when people don’t believe you when you tell them that sugar is flammable especially when they are busted hiding behind the silo smoking, which is where it’s most dangerous, nothing like a sugar or flour dust fire. Did a fire warden course years ago where the instructor had a small tank with flour and a naked flame, puffed in a bit of air to unsettle the flour and whoosh up in flames, sugar is no different but some people will never believe it.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I love when people don’t believe you when you tell them that sugar is flammable especially when they are busted hiding behind the silo smoking, which is where it’s most dangerous, nothing like a sugar or flour dust fire. Did a fire warden course years ago where the instructor had a small tank with flour and a naked flame, puffed in a bit of air to unsettle the flour and whoosh up in flames, sugar is no different but some people will never believe it.
Molten sugar is responsible for some nasty burns.
Sugar dust exploding is some next-level shit. :oops:

LPG

likes thicc birds
All this discussion of industrial fires caused by what most people think is harmless dust has made me think of one of the most beautiful ballads around...