Confessions from the fuckwits

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I love when people don’t believe you when you tell them that sugar is flammable especially when they are busted hiding behind the silo smoking, which is where it’s most dangerous, nothing like a sugar or flour dust fire. Did a fire warden course years ago where the instructor had a small tank with flour and a naked flame, puffed in a bit of air to unsettle the flour and whoosh up in flames, sugar is no different but some people will never believe it.
Year 7, educational science people visited the school and did exactly that. Life time memory right there. And also how I learnt Aussie silos have tin roofs for a reason.

mark22

Likes Dirt
This happened a little before my time with the CFA and i saw some pictures of the aftermath of this BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion).
Which is basically a build up of pressure greater than the vessel can withstand or a vessel failure. Safety vavles can be been unable to vent enough pressure to retain integrity of the vessel.
The cause was a tyre failure and fire to which the driver decided to vacate rather than try to extinguish said tyre from memory.
Below is part of the clean-up.
Screenshot_20230117-215410_Chrome.jpg

Also the kids across the road from us decided to have a BBQ in their hayshed. When they caught my attention with the loud roar of a safety valve going off and shooting a big blue flame into the rafters of their timber framed roof.
They didn't connect the cylinder fitting properly and gas vapour pooled on the ground which ignited and the cylinder tipped over surrounded by at this stage was burning hay which heated the cylinder enough to cause the valve to vent.
Thankfully no injuries just a charred hay shed roof. Bloody interesting times with those neighbours, came home once to see their crazy (always kenneled) but now loose dobbermans chewing on their herd of Angora goats with nobody home, man it was carnage.

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
This happened a little before my time with the CFA and i saw some pictures of the aftermath of this BLEVE (boiling liquid expanding vapour explosion).
Which is basically a build up of pressure greater than the vessel can withstand or a vessel failure. Safety vavles can be been unable to vent enough pressure to retain integrity of the vessel.
The cause was a tyre failure and fire to which the driver decided to vacate rather than try to extinguish said tyre from memory.
Below is part of the clean-up.
View attachment 396279
Also the kids across the road from us decided to have a BBQ in their hayshed. When they caught my attention with the loud roar of a safety valve going off and shooting a big blue flame into the rafters of their timber framed roof.
They didn't connect the cylinder fitting properly and gas vapour pooled on the ground which ignited and the cylinder tipped over surrounded by at this stage was burning hay which heated the cylinder enough to cause the valve to vent.
Thankfully no injuries just a charred hay shed roof. Bloody interesting times with those neighbours, came home once to see their crazy (always kenneled) but now loose dobbermans chewing on their herd of Angora goats with nobody home, man it was carnage.
BLEVEs are very fun... Saw some footage of someone filming a fire at an LPG tank farm from a couple of kilometres away, and they didnt survive when it went off... Footage recovered from the smashed camera.

Rorschach

I love when people don’t believe you when you tell them that sugar is flammable especially when they are busted hiding behind the silo smoking, which is where it’s most dangerous, nothing like a sugar or flour dust fire. Did a fire warden course years ago where the instructor had a small tank with flour and a naked flame, puffed in a bit of air to unsettle the flour and whoosh up in flames, sugar is no different but some people will never believe it.
Technically they’re combustible not flammable

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have mentioned it before. First employer used to dump machining swarf in a pit and after a few months cover it over. Kids were screwing around on a weekend and their fire somehow got into the swarf pit. Many days of burning.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Changed bars last night so everything needed to be swapped. Got rushed near the end of the process...dinner was ready.

Loaded bike early this morning to beat the heat. Bike off car and ready to go......no AXS shifter. Look down...all is not lost, I'm in a reasonable gear that should get me up the hill in boost and be good for 90% of the descents. Worked well for one loop then the AXS derailleur decides it needs to move 3 gears....everything becomes very spinny for not much forward movement. Thought it would be ok but yeah nah. Very, very slow trip back to the car. FW.

crash3

Likes Dirt
Finally dragged my ass out of bed early enough for a morning ride before work - 6km at Superbowl this morning.
I was having a tough time over the jumps and downhill section, more than I thought 3 weeks off due to covid would add.
Turns out I'd left my fork and shock locked out for the best part of the ride.
FW

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Minor fuckwit episode.
I'd finally managed to get hold of some replacement bearings for my creaky botttom bracket and had enough time to swap them over. Mounted the cups one at a time, knocked the bearings out, and then proceeded to press both new bearings into the cups, in-situ in the frame.
Cleaned and double greased all the crank interfaces including the funny plastic spacer that I'm still suspicious is what's actually causing the random creak. Finally tightened up the crank, all is well, only to spot the fucking BB internal spacer sitting in the bag waiting to be fitted.

Gave up and left it. The 'spare' BB I'd swapped out had a whole heap of sandy gritty shit on the spacer so I figure I'm up for swapping out bearings again in a year or so.

Rorschach

Finally dragged my ass out of bed early enough for a morning ride before work - 6km at Superbowl this morning.
I was having a tough time over the jumps and downhill section, more than I thought 3 weeks off due to covid would add.
Turns out I'd left my fork and shock locked out for the best part of the ride.
FW
We’ve all done it. I left my rear shock locked out for a whole ride once

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Minor fuckwit episode.
I'd finally managed to get hold of some replacement bearings for my creaky botttom bracket and had enough time to swap them over. Mounted the cups one at a time, knocked the bearings out, and then proceeded to press both new bearings into the cups, in-situ in the frame.
Cleaned and double greased all the crank interfaces including the funny plastic spacer that I'm still suspicious is what's actually causing the random creak. Finally tightened up the crank, all is well, only to spot the fucking BB internal spacer sitting in the bag waiting to be fitted.

Gave up and left it. The 'spare' BB I'd swapped out had a whole heap of sandy gritty shit on the spacer so I figure I'm up for swapping out bearings again in a year or so.
Do yourself a favour and put the internal sleeve in. Without it, the muck that was all over the old one would have been in the bearings. With the sleeve in, your bearing life will be several years (unless it's a FSA BB 'cos they're just shit).