Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Thinking of relegating it to secondary duties and stepping up to a Linea Mini to see me through the next decade or two
I would love a linea mini too. Pair it with a nice little mazzer mini for a (relatively compact) home setup. Although looks wise I prefer the gs3.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You plebs...look at you bragging about crippling our economy by saving money! I make coffee at home so I have the energy to go out and buy coffee.

Also don't waste your money on the lines mini. Get yourself a Strada ep single.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
You plebs...look at you bragging about crippling our economy by saving money! I make coffee at home so I have the energy to go out and buy coffee.
Ran the numbers and was pretty close. I guess the problem is that my money goes to retailers rather than the humble uni student making your morning brew. Some of the expensive machines in particular, youd have to be making a lot of coffee to get anywhere near break even.

My numbers:
Machine $1k
Grinder $400
Beans: $750
Milk: $250
Machine care and maintenance: $100

$4 coffee once per day, works out roughly 2 years to break even on my modest setup. Shorter if you have more than one. It's the muffin/cake/slice that goes with the coffee that is the real economy kicker!

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Don’t worry, I still engage the services of neighbourhood poodles when I’m out and about. But still making 2-4 coffees at home nearly 365 days a year, so break even comes around surprisingly quickly.

Also don't waste your money on the lines mini. Get yourself a Strada ep single.
You don’t rate it? Or being sarcastic.

Are we all Mazocco fanbois? What about the competition...
Slayer 1 group
Rocket R Nine 1
(The more expensive bikes get, the less crazy these things seem....)
These and poodles Strada are another price jump I’m not keen on.

I’m a sucker for the look of the Linea tbh, the more modern ones aren’t for me, especially with digital displays etc..

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's a few cafes around here with machines well over $30k. Fuck me thats a lot of covfefe! Usually leased I assume, but somewhere someone has a big capital investment.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There's a few cafes around here with machines well over $30k. Fuck me thats a lot of covfefe! Usually leased I assume, but somewhere someone has a big capital investment.
Don’t they usually come as part of a deal with the bean supplier?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Don’t they usually come as part of a deal with the bean supplier?
Some times that happens, but you need to be moving a lot of beans to get the high end stuff. I've worked in a few places that use one of 2 reasonably big local roasters and the machines on offer were usually junk. These places were burning through a lot of kilos too. Different roasters offer different packages and it is usually in their best interest for your cafe to make good coffee and t use more f their product.

as for the linea, I've only used the current paddle version single for a day while my main machine was dead. It was really nice. Older linea I'd not like. There was a lot of cheaper options that worked better from bands like rocket. The Strada however...is a freaking awesome machine to use and makes supreme coffee.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
as for the linea, I've only used the current paddle version single for a day while my main machine was dead. It was really nice. Older linea I'd not like. There was a lot of cheaper options that worked better from bands like rocket. The Strada however...is a freaking awesome machine to use and makes supreme coffee.
Yeah, must confess looks a factor here. Silver just doesn't go with my eyes.

Can't justify the Strada in any case, was thinking Bianca and then got my head turned and wallet pre-emptorially wilted.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Are we all Mazocco fanbois? What about the competition...
Slayer 1 group
Rocket R Nine 1
(The more expensive bikes get, the less crazy these things seem....)
On a more serious note. The LMs are overpriced for what they are. The Linea mini doesn't do pressure profiling, despite the suggestive slide mechanism.

The Slayers have a reputation for being unreliable. Synessos are the better machine but you need to treat the water to protect the stainless boiler. Treating the water is a good idea for any dual boiler or hx machine anyway.

Seriously though, a La Pavoni expo does everything a fancier more expensive machine will do and a Lelit Anna is the easiest home espresso machine to live with.

If you must have all the pressure and temperature profiling as well as perfectly temperature controlled steam, nothing touches the DE1XL.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
PS I got to use a DE1XL with a Niche zero grinder and some geisha and yirg beans. It fucking ruined my coffee palate for the rest of the week. Even my favourite local Super Okay paled in comparison.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk