Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

link1896

Mr Greenfield
We’re slumming it baby. Buys me time till I work out what to do. Many two group machines popping up from cafes closing, a two group Wega in good condition is the goal. Can replace the heater coil with a 2600watt coil.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Damn steam twisty thingo. Second time it’s seized but replaced it and the valve body myself this time. Boiler out was a bit of a PITA. Might need to start descaling more often….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ausdb

Being who he is
That's because you're feeding it treated water. I dare you to put tap water in it.
Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Billy not silly! honestly for the minimal cost it's cheap insurance and for the money people spend on machines you are crazy not to use bottled.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Billy not silly! honestly for the minimal cost it's cheap insurance and for the money people spend on machines you are crazy not to use bottled.
Bottled water is way up the cost curve. Getting a proper water filter installed will be cheaper in the medium term. I did the maths a while back when I was looking at the DE1 and it would have payed for itself after 6 months with my 3 cups a day.

I spoke to Bombora Supplies.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
It’s not a clear cut determination that brewing in an aluminium moka pot is dangerous, but already having significant health challenges, I’m keen to avoid any more. Personally I’m erring on the side of caution.

Yeah, I figured that's where you were going here. And I am reminded that I'd gotten rid of all our older Al cooking kit, but hadn't twigged to the fact that I am using an Al moka pot. Going to have to address that, as there is a history of Alzheimer's in my family.

What kind of pot do you use, if not Al - stainless? Which brand?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah, I figured that's where you were going here. And I am reminded that I'd gotten rid of all our older Al cooking kit, but hadn't twigged to the fact that I am using an Al moka pot. Going to have to address that, as there is a history of Alzheimer's in my family.

Moka do a stainless, it was the one I buyeded.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
I have a Brita filter for mine that gets used exclusively. I'd put a filter in, but most of water comes through the fridge filter and the water we have down here is not hard anyway (I've tested it at work and it's got bugger all salts in there, and almost no CaCO3) given how close we are to the desal plant

Totting up the coffee gear I've got, will list it here for completeness:
  • SAB Nobel single group
  • Eureka Mignon grinder
  • Breville Smartgrinder - for the wifes decaf
  • Espro P6 - for work
  • Mokapot
  • Bruer Cold Drip
  • Hario Cold Brew pot

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Impulse bought one of these when Myer was selling them for $50 or something:

Pretty gimmicky since you have no control over anything, it just has one setting. Its passable coffee though, and fun to watch. A proper siphon and heat lamp would be way better but they are very expensive.

ausdb

Being who he is
I have a Brita filter for mine that gets used exclusively. I'd put a filter in, but most of water comes through the fridge filter and the water we have down here is not hard anyway (I've tested it at work and it's got bugger all salts in there, and almost no CaCO3) given how close we are to the desal plant
Perth water is funny like that it depends where you are as to how bad or good it is. I used to be a fairly serious home brewer and in the home brew club I was in before the desal plant was in operation we all requested a water analysis from water corp and did a comparision to the water profiles of various famous brewing regions/cities of the world. I'm NOR which is mainly groundwater based so plenty of Calcium and Magnesium for me, which is closer to a Burton profile whereas around Armadale it's (or was at the time) mainly dam water so much more a Pilsen profile. Anyway it's my excuse for never being able to brew a good lager and I'm sticking to it.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Oooh, tell me more on both points, please!
If you have used your aluminium one too much, you won't remember his poi

I have a stainless moka pot that I got from Kathmandu a very long time ago.

Pretty sure Myer/David Jones and probably other similar places have a few options that aren't aluminium. Well tell a lie, Myer have one stainless option in 4 or 6 cup:

https://www.myer.com.au/p/bialetti-venus-blue-4-cup

Personally if I am making non-espresso machine hot coffee at home I prefer the plunger. I give it a long brew time with occasional stirring before taking the plunge. Then I decant it through a paper core filter into a pot.

Impulse bought one of these when Myer was selling them for $50 or something:

Pretty gimmicky since you have no control over anything, it just has one setting. Its passable coffee though, and fun to watch. A proper siphon and heat lamp would be way better but they are very expensive.

Syphon coffee is freaking awesome. There is a cafe/roaster above Nagano train station that churns out a range of syphon single origins to my delight on the rare moment I'm in the area.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Perth water is funny like that it depends where you are as to how bad or good it is. I used to be a fairly serious home brewer and in the home brew club I was in before the desal plant was in operation we all requested a water analysis from water corp and did a comparision to the water profiles of various famous brewing regions/cities of the world. I'm NOR which is mainly groundwater based so plenty of Calcium and Magnesium for me, which is closer to a Burton profile whereas around Armadale it's (or was at the time) mainly dam water so much more a Pilsen profile. Anyway it's my excuse for never being able to brew a good lager and I'm sticking to it.
I did a bit of homebrewing too and always used tap water and the beer tasted a bit off, then I had kids and ended up on FWKs and then just getting kegs filled haha
I'm not a good brewer because I'm lazy, despite being a chemist with a PhD.
There's not a lot of hardness where we are, which means that we haven't even scaled a kettle yet

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I lived in Nedlands up until 2015 and the water there was the pants. No idea how it passed national standards. It wasn't just like scale, there were all sorts of tannins and weird organic compounds that stained the kettle and cups.

ausdb

Being who he is
I did a bit of homebrewing too and always used tap water and the beer tasted a bit off, then I had kids and ended up on FWKs and then just getting kegs filled haha
I'm not a good brewer because I'm lazy, despite being a chemist with a PhD.
There's not a lot of hardness where we are, which means that we haven't even scaled a kettle yet
One of the guys in the club was pretty full on in everything he did and went to the effort of setting up a RO system and customising his water profile depending on what he was brewing. Suffice to say he won a lot of competitions...