Coffee Drinkers Anonymous

MasterOfReality

After forever
Love the moka. Half my family is northern Italian so its standard for everyone to have a variety of sizes stashed in the cupboard. Everyone has different variations on making it as well. When I moved out of home 20 years ago I was given a two cup Bialetti Moka pot from 1973 lol. Have since given it back as it as aluminium and our place has an induction cooktop so went and got the stainless one pictured a page back. Also have a Vev Vigano (12 cup I think) given to me as a house warming present by an auntie.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Love the moka. Half my family is northern Italian so its standard for everyone to have a variety of sizes stashed in the cupboard. Everyone has different variations on making it as well.
This, hah... I always find it funny with Hoff et al looking for ways to optimise the moka and make it "specialty" - to me its whole appeal is the complete opposite. I almost never use it here, but when we're at my partner's family home in Bologna I love it. Bash a few scoops of shitty pre-ground Illy in it, chuck it on the stove, divvy it up into a few demitasse and add a generous teaspoon of sugar. Enjoy on the balcony in the sun with a cheeky cigarette as the lunchtime tortellini settles in your stomach :D

It's a whole other beverage to the coffee I make at home and I love that.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Haha yes I have gotten a few people on to it, ones who have never had it before, and generally they are blown away by how smooth it is. My process is pretty simple. Illy is overrated I reckon, and when I went to Trieste (where my family is from and where Illy is based), I don't recall it being widely advertised or consumed! I had some of the best coffee in Trieste, and the food (going off topic), well that was just like I grew up with, but then again in general northern italian cuisine is fantastic due to all the surrounding influences........

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
This, hah... I always find it funny with Hoff et al looking for ways to optimise the moka and make it "specialty" - to me its whole appeal is the complete opposite. I almost never use it here, but when we're at my partner's family home in Bologna I love it. Bash a few scoops of shitty pre-ground Illy in it, chuck it on the stove, divvy it up into a few demitasse and add a generous teaspoon of sugar. Enjoy on the balcony in the sun with a cheeky cigarette as the lunchtime tortellini settles in your stomach :D

It's a whole other beverage to the coffee I make at home and I love that.
Interesting. I am looking to make something akin to a flat white while bush camping. Close will be OK. I will pregrind and vacuum pack coffee in weekly batches and have an airtight container that holds a week's worth. Wife and I only have a maximum of two coffees a day so pretty basic but that also means the coffee has to be decent.

Last weekend when I made coffees after kebabs there was really only one other person who cared about the quality of the coffee as opposed to it is time for drink of brown. He wanted a machiato. I made the espresso and had frothed milk left from the other drinks. He sipped the espresso, and decided to go with that alone. He admitted that he rarely drinks espresso and usually has to add a teaspoon of milk to overcome the bitterness of (particularly) home machines and lousy baristas. Guess that is a thumbs up.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Interesting. I am looking to make something akin to a flat white while bush camping. Close will be OK. I will pregrind and vacuum pack coffee in weekly batches and have an airtight container that holds a week's worth. Wife and I only have a maximum of two coffees a day so pretty basic but that also means the coffee has to be decent.
I can see it being a decent basis in this context and potentially worth the effort. For me in that sort of setting I'm more inclined to want a longer filter coffee (be it French press, or v60/aeropress/other) as something nice and aromatic you can sit and enjoy in the bush as opposed to a milky drink that's gone in a couple of mouthfuls and requires extra perishable ingredients to be carried around.

Might have missed it earlier but how are you steaming milk while camping? Bellman or similar?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I also have one of those milk frother things that looks like you are masturbating in a camp chair.

After attempt 3 successful coffee was made. 20g of grounds, bit coarser than espresso grind though not by much and pour to 60mL. Very little energy input to the boiling water. Too much and the coffee is bitter as all hell and spurts all over the place. Lowest stable flame and patience worked well.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Might have missed it earlier but how are you steaming milk while camping? Bellman or similar?
Reviews of this I have seen are very positive

Reviews of this I have seen are very positive

looks like a great camping solution

And it has "nano" in the name making it even cooler

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Early this morning, on a mission for the most widely abused central nervous system stimulant know to man kind when the trusty sunbeam sends a massive sperm whale sized squirt of hot water onto the kitchen floor

The group head had turned back 30 degrees, opening up a gap. The collar that the group head locates into is worn.

Pulled her apart, too hard to fix, the lips on the inside of the collar are on a 15 degree angle, building up a jig to mount it onto the rotary table in the mill would be a day long exercise, not worth it for a once off repair. New collar and group head are available but unwise I feel and close to second hand prices for newer machines. RIP old girl. After rebuilding her for now I’m holding onto the group head handle like Hans Gruber about to go over the edge of Nakatomi Plaza.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Early this morning, on a mission for the most widely abused central nervous system stimulant know to man kind when the trusty sunbeam sends a massive sperm whale sized squirt of hot water onto the kitchen floor

The group head had turned back 30 degrees, opening up a gap. The collar that the group head locates into is worn.

Pulled her apart, too hard to fix, the lips on the inside of the collar are on a 15 degree angle, building up a jig to mount it onto the rotary table in the mill would be a day long exercise, not worth it for a once off repair. New collar and group head are available but unwise I feel and close to second hand prices for newer machines. RIP old girl. After rebuilding her for now I’m holding onto the group head handle like Hans Gruber about to go over the edge of Nakatomi Plaza.

Replaced mine a few years ago. Steam wand stopped after I did it and not been bothered to pull apart and see why. Collar is cheap if you want to keep it ticking:

https://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/...MIxqPipaXK9QIVXZlmAh2C3gfnEAAYAiAAEgI9xPD_BwE

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Replaced mine a few years ago. Steam wand stopped after I did it and not been bothered to pull apart and see why. Collar is cheap if you want to keep it ticking:

https://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/...MIxqPipaXK9QIVXZlmAh2C3gfnEAAYAiAAEgI9xPD_BwE
Need new group head too, they both wear together, well mine are all shagged at least. . I’ve found newer second hand em7000’s for $200, as long as collar isn’t worn, same same inside give or take

Steam not working, guessing microswitch that sends signal back to controller isn’t working.