Can America be fixed?

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Common sense tells me that members of the public shouldn't be able to freely access unregulated guns across porous legislative borders within a country that is so obsessed with them that they don't care that statistically the person they'll most likely kill is themselves or a family member
What is this "common sense" you speak of?

Flow-Rider

Burner
Common sense tells me that members of the public shouldn't be able to freely access unregulated guns across porous legislative borders within a country that is so obsessed with them that they don't care that statistically the person they'll most likely kill is themselves or a family member
Your common sense is backed by true stats.

Nearly half of all parents with a weapon in the home wrongly believe their children don’t know where a gun is stored.
Safe storage of firearms prevents tragedies.

An estimated 4.6 million American children live in a home where at least one gun is kept loaded and unlocked.  These improperly stored weapons have contributed to school shootings, suicides and the deaths of family members, including infants and toddlers.

https://www.sandyhookpromise.org/blog/gun-violence/16-facts-about-gun-violence-and-school-shootings/

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
A big part of the success of our gun laws was the buy back and periodic amnesties. Even if the US of A did this they would barely get anyone handing over the AR15s and equivalents because those who own those believe they have the right to have them. If they outlaw the weapons then again many will hold them, they will just hide them away. That would stop the likes of Uvalde with a new owner buying an AR15 but not stop them from buying a rifle with magazine so potentially fewer rounds and slower killing speeds.

I honestly don't see how this can be fixed all they can do is reduce to some degree future harm.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
A big part of the success of our gun laws was the buy back and periodic amnesties. Even if the US of A did this they would barely get anyone handing over the AR15s and equivalents because those who own those believe they have the right to have them. If they outlaw the weapons then again many will hold them, they will just hide them away. That would stop the likes of Uvalde with a new owner buying an AR15 but not stop them from buying a rifle with magazine so potentially fewer rounds and slower killing speeds.

I honestly don't see how this can be fixed all they can do is reduce to some degree future harm.
Yep, it's probably too far gone to make much of a dent in the short term. Something does need to be done but it will take decades. It will be a generational change.
Think of smoking 30 years ago, if the government came in and threw in the restrictions we have today, 30 years ago, there would have been a huge backlash. Slowly change the culture over a few decades and now smoking is an exception to the norm rather than non-smoker being the odd one out years ago.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Moar than one shooting...

I see one of the shooters was on a mountain bike. BAN MOUNTAIN BIKES NOT GUNS!!!
In Philadelphia, a man riding a mountain bike opened fire Wednesday night on a home where a young man and his date were preparing to leave for prom, CBS3 Philadelphia reported. Police said the gunman shot a 19-year-old man, a young woman – also 19 – and the young woman's 34-year-old mother and 60-year-old man.

The boy was in critical condition and the other three victims were stable as of Thursday morning.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I think it could be fixed by giving the unhinged Right what they want - a civil war.

Once the army and marines mince all the dumb Billie Bobs, the USA can have another two centuries of peace until the idiots need to be mowed again.

I would be particularly pleased if the Buffalo Soldiers were reformed as a mechanised cavalry unit.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk