BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The modern GripSport carriers don't use crank holders anymore. :)
As you said, they're rubber coated 'hooks' that hold the bike down from the top tube, and the wheels 'slot' into rings.

Bikes don't go anywhere once locked in properly and there's no way for them to get damaged (like crank holders do) unless someone rear ends you.
Yeah this is the style I am looking for. Torpedo 7 had a cheaper version but they don't seem to have any on their site atm? Budget is also a priority. Can't afford to be spending a fortune, just looking for something simple and reliable.

The Gripsports are perfect, probably just looking for a cheaper option. Secondhand anyone??

Salival

Likes Bikes
I was trying to find a cheaper alternative to the Gripsport hi-ride for a while.
After damaging my car with a cheap and nasty rack I forked out the money for the Gripsport 2-bike DH carrier.

Absolutely fantastic, and I'll recommend it to anyone.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd go for ISI for a premium rack, for budget I've been quite happy with my torpedo7 4 bikes version.

The T7 can be a little fiddly to load, especially with a full 4 bikes but once set it's nice and stable. Only used it on the back of the car a couple of times as it's easier to put one bike in the car. I've got a mount for it now on the camper trailer above the drawbar and it works great there and has take a couple of longer trips with a full load there comfortably, no bike rub.

hazza88

Squid
Thule Outride 561 Lockable 15mm

Are people still looking for a solution to thru axle lock?
I have made one whcih uses Thules parts and incoporates their lock.....
Just trying to figure out if there is enough interest in it to manufacture...
THULEENDURO.JPG

hazza88

Squid
Thule Outride 561 mounted backwards because i cant open the boot fully otherwise.
i also machined up a jig to be able to lock 15mm thru axle to the rack using the Thule parts. (don't know if thats visible in the pic but its definitely locked down with the same lock as the QR parts.)
15mmthule.JPG
Fox D.O.S.S. has been added since this pic was taken.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great idea, well executed.
Problem is keeping it low enough cost that you don't just by a new rack...

hazza88

Squid
Great idea, well executed.
Problem is keeping it low enough cost that you don't just by a new rack...
too true.

im trying to work out the costs to keep it low at the moment.
worst case scenario i will have to machine all of them myself in my spare time.
which means lower cost but longer lead time.

aaaand i need to be sure there is a market for it.. ahaha

thanks for the feedback

gonzo2

Squid
i'd buy one!

i just bought a Whispbar WB200 - it converts from QR to 15mm in a few seconds but it wobbles like crazy. i think ill have to get in touch with the supplier to see if its normal or if i got a bung one.

hazza88

Squid
i'd buy one!

i just bought a Whispbar WB200 - it converts from QR to 15mm in a few seconds but it wobbles like crazy. i think ill have to get in touch with the supplier to see if its normal or if i got a bung one.

Thats no good,

the lock i made up will lock down the forks, no wobble. the only wobble i encountered was through the rack itself being made of AL. but that was only when i gave it a good shake.

it works exactly like your regular skewer locking onto the rack with the additional thule 15mm adapter (which is daylight robbery (which i may have made myself)), but keeps the lock-ability.

im trying to figure out what it would cost at the moment, i just called Thule distributors and a replacement QR part (which it is built off) is $80 as a replacement...

its do-able and i have had it on my car for more than 6 months, but the challenge is keeping the cost down.

thanks for the interest.

:)

gonzo2

Squid
just got a call from Whispbar - they said i should return it for warranty. The guy on the phone went out to his car and he said there was no wobble at all. Kudos to them for customer service!

Isi 4x4 vs gripsport 2+2 vs Thule 3 bike carrier

So has anyone got any preferences of one over another of these 3 top end hitch mounted platform style carriers?

Gripsport: $658aud for 2+2 bikes extension
http://gripsport.com.au/product/hi-ride-carrier-22-4-bike

Isi: approx $1200aud for a 2 and a 4 bike carrier, or $800 for 4 bike alone
http://www.isi-carriers.com/isi-4x4-ed/bike-carrier.html

Thule: $720 (+$430 aud for extra 2 bikes)
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=249&listid=2&slistid=&seo=Thule_916XTR_T2__2_Bike

We generally carry 2-3 carbon ht or dually, 26-29ers. We will hopefully be adding a kiddy bike in the next year or so.

We drive a 105series landcruiser with a drop tailgate, and generally drive down gravel tracks to light 4wd (but nothing major) for the start of rides. So the current hanging rack moves a lot in the hitch and the bikes swing leading to frame wear.
We want to be able to get into the back of the car with the carrier mounted, ideally with bikes on....

Any thoughts?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I see the Isi as the bees neez for a 4wd carrier for allowing best access to the rear. I have a grip rack and its a solid bit of kit but the downside is you need to remove it to get decent access to the rear. If I had my time again, I'd spend the extra coin on the Isi.

Interesting, I have been leaning towards the isi, it's just the extra cost. The Yakima I haven't really considered, but looks good on their website and is cheaper by far.
Decisions decisions...

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi again, some threads to get some discussion views from the last couple of years

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?263346-car-bike-rack&highlight=Bike+carrier

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?269247-Bike-Rack-Suggestions&highlight=Bike+carrier

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-the-back-of-their-4x4&highlight=Bike+carrier

I know, boring, but to add, I leave the ISI hitches on permanently because I don't tow. My wife can use the 2x carrier by herself , but won't tackle the 4x carrier as it's a bit heavy for her to move around - maybe 25kg or so at a guess ?

Offroad, nothing moves at all. I don't put the second bolt through the pivot 90% of the time! which has been exciting once when I went over a speed bump a bit enthusiastically and the whole carrier tipped back on the road - bit of handlebar end damage was all - so if you are using the pivot function of the ISI, remember the bikes back there before you hoon over speed bumps