BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I can take a shot of the iSi carrier on the back of the ute if you like. Lowered you can still open the tailgate.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
I can take a shot of the iSi carrier on the back of the ute if you like. Lowered you can still open the tailgate.
Cheers for the offer, looking for the bikes to sit in the actual tray not the tow bar, so if i happen to back into something the bikes don't cop it first.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Late last year year I grabbed one of George's bike racks to carry bikes and it is superb.
Hey Michael thank you for the kind words mate. You were very patient waiting for that fat bike.....

Edit: I should have added that off the ute/cruiser we sat it on a log and used it as a bike rack in camp.
I reckon that the most unusual use of the carrier (and entirely outside the design brief) is when up north in crocodile infested areas, tie a rope over the nose of the carrier and lower it over the yabby nets to keep the crocs from taking off with the bait and nets.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Cheers for the offer, looking for the bikes to sit in the actual tray not the tow bar
Wilson do you have a tray back ute or a tub?

For a ute mount we manufacture an adaptor that has provision to mount to horizontal rails. From memory sleeves to slip 30mm x 30mm square tube through. This solution uses the same frame and wheel support hardware as the rest of ISI 4x4x4 off-road carrier family. The modular design of the carriers means that we can mix and match components to suit just about every application out there.

An example is this mounted to the top of a compact off-highway camper trailer.

To be frank though I prefer a tow bar mount on a ute so that the tray is free to load up all the rest of the gear and to have the ability to throw a leg over a bike wherever and whenever we like without the hassle of moving gear around. Rather than transporting bikes to a destination, having the bikes available to be part of the journey is gold.

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Have seen that done but never tried it with a pad, it just doesn't seem secure, I'd be traveling 100kph+ and wouldn't trust the bikes to stay there.
You need a ratchet strap around the toptube of them, but i do it every day. Even did 150km the past two days with a carbon roadie the same way.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
Wilson do you have a tray back ute or a tub?

For a ute mount we manufacture an adaptor that has provision to mount to horizontal rails. From memory sleeves to slip 30mm x 30mm square tube through. This solution uses the same frame and wheel support hardware as the rest of ISI 4x4x4 off-road carrier family. The modular design of the carriers means that we can mix and match components to suit just about every application out there.

An example is this mounted to the top of a compact off-highway camper trailer.

To be frank though I prefer a tow bar mount on a ute so that the tray is free to load up all the rest of the gear and to have the ability to throw a leg over a bike wherever and whenever we like without the hassle of moving gear around. Rather than transporting bikes to a destination, having the bikes available to be part of the journey is gold.

I've got a tray back, Px Ranger with a Hayman Reece tow pack if it makes a difference. I'll double check in the morning but looking at pictures with a tailgate pad, they all seem to be pickups (Tubs) I don't think I'll have the drop to carry my bikes that way, the sides might be too low (shallow).

MelbRod

Likes Dirt
I've got a tray back, Px Ranger with a Hayman Reece tow pack if it makes a difference. I'll double check in the morning but looking at pictures with a tailgate pad, they all seem to be pickups (Tubs) I don't think I'll have the drop to carry my bikes that way, the sides might be too low (shallow).
Is yours a single or dual cab?

MARKL

Eats Squid
Years ago when I had a tray back ute I had a set of square bar roof racks that I would fit to the tray with a couple of Thule bike racks. Worked ok.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I stand them up in this and just tie an occy strap around the wheels and rack so they don't move around.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Has anyone loaded their Speshy Demo onto a Thule 591? Any tips and tricks? I can't get it on firmly without deflating the front tyre as I can't clamp betwen the seat tube/down tube with other normal bikes. I'm finding that I have to clamp on the middle of the downtube, which puts the front tyre almost hanging off the end of the rail!
You should be able to move the clamp mechanism down the rail towards the back of the car, I had to do this as the xl nomad is freaky long, and the front wheel sat on the very front lip of the rail. I'd post a pick but took mine off for a weekend car tour. Pissed down all night at buller, kinda wish I was riding:rockon:

Edit, sorry meant push the rail forward over the windscreen more.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Hey there. Looking for a transport solution as well. Any reason why you would use fork mounted rather than wheel mount on the front (or vise versa)?
Hey Coaster, I have lots of experience using both types. Wheel mount racks are usually quicker to load the bikes, you don't need to store a loose wheel somewhere in the car, and the type of front wheel axle is irrelevant. The only advantages of a fork mount is they can be MUCH cheaper, and are a more stable mount ( wheel mounted bikes can rock side to side a bit over bumps and with enthusiastic driving).

Unless you are short of cash, my vote is wheel mount every time.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
May I ask why you don't what to go with fork mounted carriers? I went with rockymounts and made up a bar that fits to the inner tub rails in the ute to secure them to. Works really well and only takes about 30 seconds to get it in and out.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420843604.538497.jpg

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May I ask why you don't what to go with fork mounted carriers? I went with rockymounts and made up a bar that fits to the inner tub rails in the ute to secure them to. Works really well and only takes about 30 seconds to get it in and out.
This is going to be a much cheaper option - and if you want to mount them to the headboard they are out of the way
I had mine mounted on the front of a bolted down toolbox, just ran a ratchet strap over the top of the rear tyre...

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
View attachment 305604
Yeah sure, its more of a storage issue and to keep the inside of the ute somewhat cleanish for clothes and other things while camping, I try to keep the dirty things in the tray. If i can't find a decent solution the fork bolt downs will probably be the way to go, would prefer not to have two wheels floating around though.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I bolted a mont blanc to the tray. It does mean you lose part of the functionality of the tray though....

GeoffRidesBikes

Likes Dirt
I like the fork mount carriers, but do you get pretty limited as far as what bikes you can carry - what if your mate wants to throw his bike on but his axle is different to your axle? That never used to be an issue, but with each fscking frame having its own axle standard these days, it seems restrictive.

That said, i've never used one so i could be talking out my ass again.

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
I bolted a mont blanc to the tray. It does mean you lose part of the functionality of the tray though....
Wouldn't happen to have any photos would you? I would potentially made a small box frame so i could bolt the carrier to the frame and slide the frame on and off the tray or just unbolt it when not needed.