BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Dh Bike Rack

Hey there,

From Perth and I have been looking for a bike rack that isn't a roof or tow-ball one. I have looked around and seen the strap ones that go into the boot but I'm honestly not sure if it's going to do the right job. Bike is a 2014 Nukeproof Pulse. Please let me know of brands etc price isn't that big a deal but don't want to have to sell an arm or leg.

Cheers.

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I would not go one of those boot strap bike racks, I've used them before and they are terrible. You spend way too much time hooking it up with all the little straps and then it's like one of these puzzles to get your bike on and off it. It's a pain in the arse every single time.

932197265_713.jpg

And I was using it for a 7kg road bike, I wouldn't even want to consider it for a DH bike.

Invest in a proper tow bar one or a roof rack. My preference is tow bar. I use something like this:

thule-euroway-G2-923-bike-rack-5.jpg

So much easier to load and unload your bike you don't even think about it.

madstace

Likes Dirt
As much as the bike is important, probably more important is what car you're driving.

+1 for towbar mount if it's possible.

ChopSticks

Banned
As much as the bike is important, probably more important is what car you're driving.

+1 for towbar mount if it's possible.
Good point!
what car do you have OP?

opt for a hitch mount if given the option...you'll find more uses with a hitch vs a tongue and ball

what's you budget?
good racks don't come cheap.... But worth every cent IMO.... Carries and protects 2 of the most expensive items in your life. You don't want a cheap rack that will damage your car... Nor one that will end up dragging your bike on the bitumen....

ChopSticks

Banned
Apart roof racks
which will end up costing a fair bit once you add it all up (foot pack, bar, carrier etc)

your it next option is to look at the Thule raceway 9003
i was very close to buying one, buy the opportunity to buy a
new car came up so I opted for the towball options

the 9003 is like every other boot mounted rack
But requires no crappy adaptor and the weight if the bike is supported at the wheels vs at the frame
not cheap thought (can't recall exact price)... But still cheaper than new roof racks

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the suggestion will look into it, however, do you have any clue if this will take two DH bikes? Nukeproof Pulse and 09 glory. Cheers. looked at max weight of 31kg and it would be stretching it I think not to sure

wombat

Lives in a hole
None of the strap on racks will safely carry the bikes you want. Roof racks may be your only option.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
New car baby! Lose the hairdressers car and get a van, I know it should be a ute, but vans got extra security.

GORILLLA

Likes Bikes
I can't sell my car etc.. I just want a bike rack for my dh bike that will fit and take it's weight. It'll be sad if there isn't even one that can do that.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I can't sell my car etc.. I just want a bike rack for my dh bike that will fit and take it's weight. It'll be sad if there isn't even one that can do that.
It is shit there's not a solution, but the sort of clip on / strap on racks that you're talking about are a bit hows-it-going at the best of times, let alone with the weight of a couple of dh rigs on there.

They put a lot of stress on the car's bodywork ( I saw the foot of a Thule raceway dent in the tailgate of a Forrester over a small bump) and they're not a very secure way to support the bike either.

Why are roof racks out, the car has hard points for mounting, doesn't it? Yeah they're not cheap, but at least they're secure and you shouldn't end up with a trashed car or bike (just watch out for carports).

MARKL

Eats Squid
I really don't understand these threads:der:

$5,000 new bike plus another bike that would have cost similar originally and you can't be fucked spending a few hundred on a decent rack? Plus the potential for damage to your car? It really is a false economy to try and cheap out on the bike rack.

It's really simple:

Tow bar = Gripsport or ISI

Roof = Thule 594

Strap racks = sell your bike and buy a Huffy

MARKL

Eats Squid
The other good thing about a decent rack is it will outlast the bike and car that it is bringing together. And they are easy enough to move from one car to the next.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thule King Joe - 27kg
Thule 9105/9106 - 30kg
Thule Raceway 991/992 - 15kG per bike (45kg for the 3 bike version)

Heaps of mazda towbars on ebay - easy enough DIY install.

Edit - roof racks check out the Thule or the Yakima frontloader rack.
You can swap most roof racks (at least the expensive bike carriers) between cars. I have a fork mount rack I bought back in 99, still going strong (10 cars later)
I think all of the 3/6/CX range have fixed point racks, but you can also use the 'std' under eve mount as well. Ebay or Gumtree - you'll get everything except maybe the fit kit - just make sure they are the right length and foot combo.

Last edited:

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive just picked up two Yakima Front Loaders for the roof, appear to be quite sturdy and based on the reviews good for carrying DH bikes. They have a 18.1kg weight limit which should be good for most current crop DH bikes and they hold the bike down by the wheels so you are not limited by different frame designs.

I will report back on their performance once I actually use them.