BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

treble

Likes Dirt
I've been meaning to put mine up for a while, but never remembered to take a photo when it was on the car.

Its a Gripsport 2+2 downhill rack.
I've had it for about 6 months now and it's been great. Holds 4 bikes easily (only have 3 on in the pic) and you can drop the back half off to make it a 2 bike rack too. Did a trip up the east coast from melb to the gold coast with two bikes and it was faultless. Jon was super easy to deal with too, couldn't recommend them enough.

Attachments

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Something that might give the campers and caravaners some ideas...based on a traditional crank holder. Set up so its all quick released, all the racks can be removed if I don't want them. These racks also double as storage at home (the caravan is in the garage with the bikes on the front racks when not being used). 1 day with the welder, bit of steel, a bit of cold gal. Cost a couple of hundred dollars all up. (would look better painted or galvanized, but been too lazy/busy). Racks hold the 24, 27.5 and 29er and no probs with my DJ or DH bike either...only the DH doesn't fit the little rack at the front. Use a bit of left over tube on the cranks when traveling...you can just see it on the little 24 inch Avanti. no scratches yet.

Attachments

Salival

Likes Bikes
I use the Gripsport classic DH 2 bike carrier and I love it.
I had an cheap carrier that clamped onto the frame, it didn't like driving at 100km/h.
The wind got to it and the handlebars hit my spoiler and scratched the bajesus out of it.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
The ISI 4x4x4 Off-Road carrier offered on Complete Campsite's top end Exodus Off-Road van.

Mounted using the forward tilt weld-on pivot base to their drawbar mount it allows for access to the front storage compartment without having to touch the bikes.

A highly effective design and given the operational parameters that these vans are designed for it's a fantastic way to get into some rough terrain. Travel with bikes always at the ready and never having to put up with any hassle at all is pure gold.

scblack

Leucocholic
Something that might give the campers and caravaners some ideas...based on a traditional crank holder. Set up so its all quick released, all the racks can be removed if I don't want them. These racks also double as storage at home (the caravan is in the garage with the bikes on the front racks when not being used). 1 day with the welder, bit of steel, a bit of cold gal. Cost a couple of hundred dollars all up. (would look better painted or galvanized, but been too lazy/busy). Racks hold the 24, 27.5 and 29er and no probs with my DJ or DH bike either...only the DH doesn't fit the little rack at the front. Use a bit of left over tube on the cranks when traveling...you can just see it on the little 24 inch Avanti. no scratches yet.
Hi mate, what Jayco have you got? Its looks similar to mine, but detail differences mean I can't tell. I have a Flight.

4dabush

Likes Dirt
Hi mate, what Jayco have you got? Its looks similar to mine, but detail differences mean I can't tell. I have a Flight.
Good eye, mine is a 2006 model Flite on-road. I made a rear bumper first that bolts through the original caravan legs. Using 40 x 40mm box with the bumper 75 x 25mm. The rear rack then is on 35 x 35mm tubes that slides into the bumper. 1 hole through each side with a spring loaded "D" clip and its on and off in 10 seconds. Crank holders are 50 x 25mm. The channel for the tyres is 75x40mm C channel - one full 6m length measured carefully made the 3 racks with NO room for error. The end caps for the bumper, the front clips, and D clips all come from a trailer spares shop. The rear bumper would easily take a second bike, so you could get 4 bikes on without a drama. The lights are Torpedo 7 jobs and were cheaper than me buying lights and wire! It all clears the gas bottle and annexe poles tube. The front rack closest to the van has the crank holder on an angle to get the bike centred. The rear bike has to have the pedal against the spare tyre removed. Old stubby cooler on the crank protects the spare wheel cover. Old tubes hold all the bikes in place...
Hope that helps...

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
ISI 4x4x4 Off-Road four bicycle carrier. This carrier is stronger and has an operational envelope and parameters that exceed those of 4WD vehicles. In other words, drive the harshest corrugated tracks and the bicycles will always be ready to be deployed wherever and whenever you want.

"Bike rack works a treat and its great to be able to get access to the rear door. And the ease of removal with the pins without having to take off the hitch assembly is really convenient."

With offset vertical frame support posts, each bike is retained at the low point on the frame top tube. A big plus - no straps and buckles to loosen and fail when the going gets tough.

Another benefit is that because there are no long tubes hanging out of the back of the tow bar you won't smash the carrier on the ground through dips - or even accelerating out of a service station driveway. The departure clearance exceeds that of the vehicle. Part of our business is express shipping bicycle carriers to Birdsville to replace other branded bicycle carriers that get several dunes into the Simpson desert crossing and smash the carrier into the ground while driving through the wheel furrows dug into the sand.

"it was great, having the piece of mind that the bikes were secure, and the simplicity of loading and unloading. Just as you promised."

Pivot down for dead easy access to the rear cargo compartment and you don't have to remove bikes or the whole carrier to get into the back. You can stop for a cold drink instead of making excuses.

scblack

Leucocholic
Good eye, mine is a 2006 model Flite on-road. I made a rear bumper first that bolts through the original caravan legs. Using 40 x 40mm box with the bumper 75 x 25mm. The rear rack then is on 35 x 35mm tubes that slides into the bumper. 1 hole through each side with a spring loaded "D" clip and its on and off in 10 seconds. Crank holders are 50 x 25mm. The channel for the tyres is 75x40mm C channel - one full 6m length measured carefully made the 3 racks with NO room for error. The end caps for the bumper, the front clips, and D clips all come from a trailer spares shop. The rear bumper would easily take a second bike, so you could get 4 bikes on without a drama. The lights are Torpedo 7 jobs and were cheaper than me buying lights and wire! It all clears the gas bottle and annexe poles tube. The front rack closest to the van has the crank holder on an angle to get the bike centred. The rear bike has to have the pedal against the spare tyre removed. Old stubby cooler on the crank protects the spare wheel cover. Old tubes hold all the bikes in place...
Hope that helps...
Good one. Mine is a 2000 model, on road too. I moved the axle under the leaf springs and flipped the stub axle, so have lifted the camper six inches with that change. But means the hand brake does not work.

I'll have a closer look at what you've managed, sounds good.

My Grip rack can be fitted to my rear bumper bar, and two bikes go on my car roof, so I also can go away with four bikes now. I'll put some pic up soon.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Time to give this thread a tickle because a lot has been happening.

Over the past few years or so we've been lucky to have built a very strong reputation in the trailer industry and have been commissioned by a number of trailer and caravan manufacturers to deliver the strongest and most convenient carrier solutions for their products - and for a whole bunch of people who want to use their carrier on their trailers.

Trailer dynamics are vastly different to those of a passenger or 4x4 vehicle and unfortunately most manufacturers have sad tales of popular brands that don't deliver the goods past the showroom floor - which is why we have been engaged to work with those manufactures to develop highly effective solutions. Kind of cool really for a 100% Aussie product manufactured from 100% Aussie steels and materials. Pleasing export numbers to overseas clients as well which is even more pleasing.

Earning trust is hard work - but rewarding.

A few random trailer and caravan examples:

Several types that require the carrier to be lowered to deploy fold-out and slide-out compartments such as the Jayco Expanda. Typical feedback is "you cannot beat this for function. Drops to the ground at the pull of a pin, and a lock for when lifting it up prior to inserting the securing pin. Solid as a rock. Looks great, and the function A grade. Totally recommend this mod, it will cost a bit more, but it will go anywhere."

A super-tough solution demanded by Ultimate - with 10 second bicycle deployment and no more than 30 seconds to deploy the fold-down rear step. Nothing could protrude to either side of the trailer either which killed most of the rest of the carrier market. Typical feedback is "I have your extreme bike carrier and love it. We regularly recommend yours as the only one to consider.
I have pawed over your web adventures for some time and was inspired enough to bite the bullet."

"The bike rack has been everything we've hoped for and more."

Trackabout have been a sensational local manufacturer too and it's very pleasing to see just how much stock they deliver to their customers.

Trackabout fabricate a bolt-on mount using our weld-on forward tilt pivot base.

Complete Campsite - another Australian high end manufacturer have it nailed with their Exodus van.

They also offer an assisted solution so that their customers can access the front storage compartment with the flip of a lever.

Stacks of CUB trailer owners out there enjoying all that Australia has to offer.

Kimberley, who at the top end of the Adventure caravan market demand the best from everything bolted to their products deliver our Kimberley carrier on their full size luxury Kruiser.

And the same carrier on Kimberley's go-anywhere Karavan product.

Then you have enthusiasts who have a sturdy mount installed to their trailer and head into terrain that would normally kill a carrier and the bikes.

"If it’s worth doing, do it right the first time.
We purchased our bike carrier in December and absolutely love it!! Been meaning to send photos of the set up from our xmas camping trip.
You guys make an awesome awesome product and we are very happy with it"

"Your design is great, the bikes sit well with very little movement, and are really easy to get on and off "

"It has been some time since our last correspondence and I would like to say that your product performance has been fantastic. "

Each and every trailer and caravan product delivered is designed to be slipped from trailer to car or back in a minute. Sensational when you're base camped with the van and want to explore further into areas that may not be appropriate to drag the van through.

The *best* part of this industry is that we have caravan and trailer clients who use our bicycle carrier product come back to share their wonderful travel experiences with us. It's because we all have a lot in common and we get out and use the product at *every* opportunity. Leading by example is the best fun!

Last edited:

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
How to mount my MTB to my ute using 15mm axle

So I have a setup that's works for my 9mm skewer setup but it won't work for my new 15mm thru axle setup.
Is there any products so I can mount using that setup?

I also know a way to work it out but I need a front hub, so if anyone has a borked one of those that'd be good too.

Thanks. Phil.

EDIT: correct term

Last edited:

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i presume you mean the front 15mm axle, not the rear 142x12.

you can get adaptors to suit your current mount.

Mr DOHC

Likes Bikes
what a brainfart, no wonder I couldn't Google it.
Yes front end.

cool, they don't miss you do they. I'll have a good look around

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I use a Delta hitch with a Gripsport fork adapter.

DE-PBH2-NCL-FRONT.jpg grip-sport-15mm-fork-grip.jpg

T7 do a very cheap but adequate adapter these days too.

Failing that...get Gripsport to make a version of their fork grip with tabs so that it can be bolted into place in the ute...