BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I really don't understand these threads:der:

$5,000 new bike plus another bike that would have cost similar originally and you can't be fucked spending a few hundred on a decent rack? Plus the potential for damage to your car? It really is a false economy to try and cheap out on the bike rack.

It's really simple:

Tow bar = Gripsport or ISI

Roof = Thule 594

Strap racks = sell your bike and buy a Huffy
I know right? It's like buying a Ferrari and then filling up with E10 because you don't wanna buy premium.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
This was a nice one recently on a tough as nails Kavango crossover camper from Echo4x4 in South Africa. The bicycle carrier departure angle matches that of the tail of the camper so that you don't smash the rear when negotiating deep erosion gullies. Terrific mounting as well with the receiver tube on the rear bar and bracing down to the rear chassis cross-member. If you're going to do it, do it right.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
So has someone here actually had a dh bike on a roof rack, on a hatchback? Very interested to know since a hatch will be bought soon and I've been sussing out racks for the car I'm after.

tasdisco

Likes Bikes
Thule 591 ProRide

So has someone here actually had a dh bike on a roof rack, on a hatchback? Very interested to know since a hatch will be bought soon and I've been sussing out racks for the car I'm after.
Yep, I have three Thule 591 ProRide carriers mounted to matching Thule aero roof racks and they work a treat! I am going to get another one soon, but with the wider bars you have to alternate the way they are facing, ie fwd, back, fwd, back.

It is a bit of a lift getting the bikes up there but I can do it with two separated shoulders, so I imagine most people could load them!

Best bit is they are carbon frame friendly and hold everything from my daughters 20" mountain bike to my carbon road bike to my Glory downhill without issue!!

One thing I do as added security is located the crank outside the clamp to prevent any movement towards the clamp opening, whether this does anything or not I am not sure, but I have zero concerns when driving.

I took three bikes (including my large Glory) from Hobart to the Gold Coast and back earlier this year and they were great!

I have also loaded three DH rigs on at once and again no movement or issues.

Cheers

Tim!!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yes, done thousands of km's with one or two downhill bikes on the roof, occasionally three on the top of my little hatch. My setup is Thule aero bars and two or three 594's. For a downhill bike I would recommend a 594 over the 591 or 532 - deals better with funky frame shapes and has a higher load rating 22.5 compared to (591 - 20kg or 532 -17kg).

For local trips I just use it as Thule intended, for long trips (Sydney to Thredbo) I put a cam buckle tie on the front wheel for a bit of extra security (may reflect more on my driving in the snowy mountains more than anything else)

Last edited:

Rider_of_Bikes

Likes Dirt
There is a new rack brand in Australia called Swagman they do a 4 bike vertical, hitch mount with only wheel contact for about $600ish. It looks very well built as well!

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
The carriers are about the only thing that doesn't break out there and they need to deploy the bicycles quickly to catch the right conditions.
I was directed back to this thread by a recent customer with a well equipped FJ Cruiser who we assisted a little while ago after they had a bit of bad luck with another brand of bicycle carrier.

In short, when driving in off-highway conditions you sometimes need a bit of momentum to get up and over obstacles - there's no choice and it's part and parcel of 4WDing - as are holes, bumps and depressions to get through on the way up. In those circumstances, the rear of the car can come down hard and smack into the track surface. In this customer's case the bicycle carrier had a foot of thin wall steel tubing hanging straight out of the back of the towbar and as climbing in the wheel ruts, the rear of the car came down hard on it's suspension and the tube smashed into the centre of the track. The carrier folded up and the handlebar of the forward mounted bicycle smashed through the rear window of his FJ. They limped back to Birdsville to go through quite a saga of repairs, replacements and trying to deal with insurance. I'm sure that we'll hear more when they return from the trip.

To add insult to injury, that was the second carrier with exactly the same issue during the last school holidays.

For us, we don't like doing business on someone else's misfortune and it just breaks my heart. Moreover it adds chaos to our ordered business because to move heaven and earth to have the equipment out quickly and efficiently means that other stuff must slide - especially at one of the busiest times of the year for us.

On the up side, we have more terrific and like minded customers who are now driving safe, relaxed and without hassle - which is what 4WD travel with bikes on board should be.

schwing

Likes Dirt
Having known a few people who have received a warning for this DK, i suspect that the highway patrol think the fine is rediculous, which is why so many get away with warnings (in NSW that is), but there is always a nazi somewhere with nothing better to do.
I copped it for a towball over the center of the plate - asshole with nothing to do. He followed me for 5 km at 60kms an hour before pulling me over. still dirty about that one!

mtboer

Likes Dirt
I use a Trailer board from the Auto shops and an RTA Bikeplate, 'cause I don't want the Fine and I don't want anyone hitting my bikes.
It's worth the $100.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
this obscuring-the-number-plate-with-a-bike-rack-track seems like a great idea.

if i do that, i can then speed through all the speed cameras and get no fines. no need to pay tolls either. happy days.

maybe i might be able to get away with doing some drive offs at some servos too. imagine all the money i'll save.

yeah, those cops would have to be real arseholes to fine me for setting my car up to do all this. and the rta are such robbers for requiring me to pay the nominal fee to get another number plate......

having said all this, when i used to use strap ons (racks), i am pretty sure the number plate was obscured. i suppose i was pretty lucky. i had no idea how much the fine was.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Platform style bike carriers

Did a quick search but thought there might be some new players.
Looking for a platform style carrier for bikes. Obviously gripsport have the very nice hi rise models, but was wondering if there are some similar products worth looking at.
Wouldn't be looking to spend any more than the gripsport.

ChopSticks

Banned
ball or hitch?

price range? number of bikes? 20kg DH bikes? or 6kg carbon roadies?
are you have something you can throw and rip bikes off? (shuttles) or more for transporting to trails?

Thule EuroRide/Way) will be easy to buy, but abit exy?... Grip will also cost abit to have it shipped up from Melb?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wtf? Where did vocally come from? Stupid predictive text.

Will be for a hitch. Transporting all mountain style bikes to trail or on highway.

ChopSticks

Banned
Wtf? Where did vocally come from? Stupid predictive text.

Will be for a hitch. Transporting all mountain style bikes to trail or on highway.

I have a 2 bike Thule Euroway which has been awesome! not cheap though (think i paid $700~)...3 bike option is also available for more.
With both models being able to hold an additional bike with the appropriate bike holder adaptor ($130~?) ie 2-->3 and 3-->4 bike rack

Grip prob be cheaper... but the crank holder doesnt float my boat (plus my car is towball only). I think they have other models where a hook slides down to hold bike?

ISI carriers (greg?) on here could prob help you out too (he seems to pounce on any bike carrier threads lol)

but if budget is a concern..... check out Torpedo 7 racks.... many great reviews despite the price

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Grip prob be cheaper... but the crank holder doesnt float my boat
The modern GripSport carriers don't use crank holders anymore. :)
As you said, they're rubber coated 'hooks' that hold the bike down from the top tube, and the wheels 'slot' into rings.

Bikes don't go anywhere once locked in properly and there's no way for them to get damaged (like crank holders do) unless someone rear ends you.