Search results

1. trailsnail

Qld- Nerang trail status

If you ride and you change the trail surface then it is too wet to ride. If you are set in a training plan and don't wish to loose your fitness by riding less often, then ride the road circuit at the velodrome instead. If you are concerned that you will loose the ability to ride tough trail...
  2. trailsnail

Riding in the wet. Here we go again

From reading the posts in this topic, it seems that there is a huge range of opinions about riding in the wet. And from some of the responses it seems people feel strongly about this both ways. My opinion is... If you like riding in the rain...Join your local trail-care group and make your...
  3. trailsnail

Riding in the wet. Here we go again

I agree with you that my opinion will differ with others on here. But I assure you that it will be a common opinion among those that repair trails regularly. I'm not talking about normal conditions, turn on the tv and watch the news, when you see floods in QLD, that is in our area right...
  4. trailsnail

QLD MTB Trailcare for Nerang National Park

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/nerang/pdf/nerang-trail-map.pdf Unfortunately the only map that can be posted is the one in the link above. The entire trail system has been mapped, Unfortunately we can not share this complete map as it is Government Property and not to be copied. Also...
  5. trailsnail

You guys have said exactly how things are currently. We do not see ourselves heading deeper into the park for a while yet as we still have alot of work approved and yet to do within the valley that starts at the velodrome. So for the next year or maybe more, the majority of our work is...
  6. trailsnail

There should be some digging going on next Friday at 3pm. Check out our Calendar section in a few days for the details, I need to confirm dates with people first. http://www.mtbtrailcare.com/Calendar.asp For now there are no see saws going in as we must complete our list of tasks to...
  7. trailsnail

Anyone actually broken a carbon frame?

Years ago I was riding an XC carbon frame (Giant I think). a mate had given it to me because I had just snapped my aluminum frame through the joint between the headset and down tube. I was using it to ride trials and some street riding while saving up for a new frame, it handled this style of...
  8. trailsnail

Riding trails after heavy rain: a little respect please!!!

If a trail is being ridden in the rain, then it is being ridden in the rain. People either don't know any better or they simply don't care. In your case it seems those particular people simply don't care. Unfortunatley the only solution is to accept that it happens and build/maintain your...
  9. trailsnail

Rocky Soil Ideas?

We usualy bash stubborn rocks in after the rain when the ground becomes softer. But that sledge hammer idea sounds like it would work well in the dry also. Thanks for a great tip.
  10. trailsnail

Rocky Soil Ideas?

Good point, get your soil from where you are working. Nothing looks worse than holes near trails.
  11. trailsnail

what tools?

Yeah you have seen many crazy trail tool inventions from me over the past few years. Overall i think a stretcher is a good do it all soil mover if you have two trail workers to use it. I think if doing trail work you need a minimum of two people anyway so if your soil dosn't need to travel...
  12. trailsnail

Best bike for Nerang (29 or 26)?

You don't need too much extra fitness for them. I think a single speed rides more efficently than a geared bike of the same gear ratio. So if im riding at a speed where my gearing is suited then it feels easier, if the gearing is too hard or too easy for the trail im on then it is harder to...
  13. trailsnail

what tools?

A firerake will cut through grass/plants very well. If you are going to build trails you should consider joining a trailcare crew. You will work on all types of trails and repair problems, hopefully when you do this you will be taking a mental note of what may have caused these problems and...
  14. trailsnail

Rocky Soil Ideas?

What I have to say is probably not IMBA standard, but it works well when I have used this technique. As a general rule when building you never want to place logs on the lower edge of a trail as they collect a build up of silt and sediment creating mud for tyres to sink into. I have been...
  15. trailsnail

Lacing your own wheels

I love the idea of a simple bike, I am currently riding single speed but with discs on both ends. I made the change to single speed years ago and find myself loving the decision every time I go for a ride. One thing to consider with a coaster hub is back pedaling will result in your rear wheel...
  16. trailsnail

Lacing your own wheels

I also forgot to mention, use a high quality spoke key. Don't go for the cheap ones, especialy not one of those round steel ones with a million sizes squeezed into them. Here is a spoke calculator that I made myself, I have never had a bad length and have made many wheels using it. It is just...
  17. trailsnail

Lacing your own wheels

I agree with SummitFever here, also the same theory can be used on the drive side for a rear wheel to prevent spokes shifting towards the derailleur. If you are building your own wheels then chances are you will be sold DT Swiss spokes. If you are going to buy these I would reccomend that you...
  18. trailsnail

Giant STP Zero

Alot of guys start out learning trials on a hardtail that they already own. I know that when I was riding trials I did this. Good brakes and a bash ring are the essentials. A hardtail of almost any type will be good enough to get a feel for the sport. you should be able to learn the basics...
  19. trailsnail

Gearing.

2:1 is a good starting point, example. 32:16 Then adjust from there. Keeping both sprockets small is suited to short sprints but will wear everything much earlier. and for the exact same ratio keeping both sprockets large is better for longer sprints, sounds strange I know. If you look to...
  20. trailsnail

Best bike for Nerang (29 or 26)?

Nerang has all types of trails and you will find yourself seeking out the ones that suit your riding skill, style and fitness. I rode Nerang completley Rigid and Single Speed with a 24 inch rear wheel for years with no problems at all...