Riding trails after heavy rain: a little respect please!!!

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I guess you've never worked with dirt before. In short: rain washes dirt away.

That being said, I went to a place last weekend where they coated the lips with asphalt. Hadn't been there for about 6 years, and the lips haven't changed at all!

I have built miles of trail in my years. And Northshore and DJ etc etc......I just think that too many people dont think before building stuff, and do it too simply, lightly without proper planning. I have used many materials to strengthen, modify and alter trails/obstacles. Many of what I have done are in "wet" locations.
I used more than just a shovel (probably all Teen weekend DJers have at their disposal). And some took the effort of tanked water and cement additive to re-inforce, along with decent building materials. Very few of what I have been associated with have fallen down, or washed away or even worn. Only VANDALISM seems to be the main culprit for destruction.

So that being said, Im not bagging peoples efforts, Im at least speaking from a perspective of some experience when I say what I did in the previous post.

Rain can be managed no matter what the trail. (and Im not knocking the rant when a 'fresh' obstacle thats just been made and needs time to set/bed in gets wrecked; that does suck)

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
I guess you've never worked with dirt before. In short: rain washes dirt away.

That being said, I went to a place last weekend where they coated the lips with asphalt. Hadn't been there for about 6 years, and the lips haven't changed at all!

I don't think he was suggesting you never need to maintain a well built track or at least I hope not. But if a track is built right the first time in a way to withstand wet weather the tracks are ok to ride in the wet and the maintenance is no more than a dry track we have now. Perfect example is the UK, there tracks need to be built to withstand wet weather and they do this, this means they can ride in the wet and can ride with its shitty weather. It keeps maintenance and damage to a minimum. No doubt we will always need to maintain a track but a well built track can make a big difference.

I am a advocate of riding in the wet and you only need to read a thread I started a while ago to know that many don't have the same view (it is a different thread to the one mentioned earlier) but wet riding is great fun and has some good skill developments, but you do need to be mindful of what you are riding, I am lucky enough to have some well built private tracks that stand up to the weather well so if its wet I go for it, but I still try to fill in any ruts after my session.
Here in AUS we don't build weather sustaining tracks as often and i would put this down to a few things;
1.Time - it takes slightly more time to get this done and resources might need to be gathered from other places than just the dirt in the bush.
2.Cost - while cost would not be significant it would be more that a traditional track.
3.Practicality - Although a wet weather built track is helpful when we ride it in the dry it does not prevent damage anymore than a non weather built track so somewhere like AUS were we tend to have more dry days than wet I guess it is not thought as a major need.

While there are some significant things you can do for wet weather tracks even following a basic trail building guide will give a trail fairly good weather resistance.
Roots - one of probably the most common problems with trail builders, do NOT remove roots or tree stumps unless absolutely necessary, roots help hold the trail together and keep dirt where it should be, likewise tree stumps do the same and help prevent dirt running or falling away.
Rocks - rocks again same principal as roots, we need them, also rocks clearly don't absorb or get softer with water, they wont wear down from riding on them wet so they are great for keeping the track together to hold soil etc but also provides a good surface that doesn't degrade or rut in the wet.
Gradient - as a general rule try not to or don't exceed half of the slope so for every meter you go down go across 2 meters. Yes there will be corners down or sections that run down but try keep them minimal or for track direction change to cut back across.
Drainage - plan out the drainage before hand, drainage will keep puddles away it will not only keep water off the track therefore making it less wet but it can direct water away from the track to prevent rutting from water flowing.
Wet checking - check the planed track when it is raining, this will show you where the water naturally pools or runs and can help you plan drainage properly and direct your track around the potential issues.

These should be done for a dry track but have clear benefits for when it rains, the track will dry out faster, be less wet in the first place, hopefully less dirt will be moved away from the track and it should stand up to not only abuse but weather better.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
I do understand what you are saying skwiz, i have been working on drainage on the trails where i am and to be honest it is the most important thing for me, getting the thing to drain is top of the list, unfortunately people riding in terrible wet conditions doesnt help the drainage problem, especially when they are virtually making a new drain with riding wheels, only today i went out and found that my nemesis has hit our trail with his quad bike and just destroyed the single track, i have learnt to relax a bit with people riding mtb's on wet days, but quad bikes makes my blood boil!...i have been helping with advocacy in the blue mountains for 2 years now, we have just tasted success and it feels good, but now the learning starts, and it starts with learning how to make trails sustainable, and that goes to the heart of drainage!

shoogyboom

Likes Dirt
There is no need to ride your bike when the trails are too wet. Getting covered in mud, wearing your brakes and drivetrain and totally messing up the trails doesn't make any sense to me. If it's muddy and wet just stay off the track. Go to the gym or something. The damage takes ages to repair and as others have said time and people power are very short when it comes to track maintenance.
Dungog is still quite wet at the moment and although I am itching to ride it since the event recently if it's too wet it's too wet. I will have an update tomorrow morning.

driftking

Wheel size expert
i have learnt to relax a bit with people riding mtb's on wet days, but quad bikes makes my blood boil!.
quads and motos even in the dry just destroy everything, On board with you there. Over building a trail only to have a moto destroy the burms in the day after.

There is no need to ride your bike when the trails are too wet. Getting covered in mud, wearing your brakes and drivetrain and totally messing up the trails doesn't make any sense to me. If it's muddy and wet just stay off the track. Go to the gym or something. The damage takes ages to repair and as others have said time and people power are very short when it comes to track maintenance.
Dungog is still quite wet at the moment and although I am itching to ride it since the event recently if it's too wet it's too wet. I will have an update tomorrow morning.
There are some advantages in terms of skills in the wet but on a basic level riding in the wet is fun, some people love it others hate it, while it does increase wear on our bikes that's our own burden to pay from our wallet. There is a need to ride in the wet if you race and the best way to practice wet riding is riding in the wet. I personally just love getting drifty all over the place and pushing the bike to the limits in the wet it teaches you a lot about bike handling and confidence. That said as I have mentioned this is done on trails that are not public. Public trails are a no go and should be steered clear of in the wet.
Stick to personal trails and even then stay to those that stand up to wet weather a little better.

Wet weather should not be a reason not to ride but it should be a reason to only ride certain tracks.
private - yes
public - no

Exception is if the public trail is open and built for wet weather riding. If it is open but not designed for wet weather than while it is technically ok to ride have a second think about what is best.

Last edited:

leadz

Likes Bikes
Indoor parks......

It's time to hit the indoor bike parks.we have three parks in melbourne.

1-(The Shed) Cranbourne
2-(The Banker) Braeside New
3-(rampfest) Braybrook

so check them out!!!

cheers leadz.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
It's time to hit the indoor bike parks.we have three parks in melbourne.

1-(The Shed) Cranbourne
2-(The Banker) Braeside New
3-(rampfest) Braybrook

so check them out!!!

cheers leadz.
So these are just catering for dirt jumpers yeah? I doubt any indoor facility would ever have the vertical to cater for anything like DH descents.

leadz

Likes Bikes
White man can jump :)

So these are just catering for dirt jumpers yeah? I doubt any indoor facility would ever have the vertical to cater for anything like DH descents.
Yes dirt jumpers do use the indoor parks. there is all so a few dh guys heading down too
to use the big foam pit jumps and resi jumps. so come on down.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
These places cater for downhillers. It gives them a chance to work on some skills that you don't get from riding a big bike.

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
If a trail is being ridden in the rain, then it is being ridden in the rain.
People either don't know any better or they simply don't care.
In your case it seems those particular people simply don't care.
Unfortunatley the only solution is to accept that it happens and build/maintain your trails to suit.

I also volunteer my time to do trail maintence and am constantly batteling the effects of people riding in poor/unsuitable conditions.
If you keep at it you will eventualy get to a point where you feel like you are winning, but it is a very long process.

One of the best tools for repairing/working on an open-trail is a fire-rake, it will compact your trail to the equivilant hardness as a few weeks of trail use.
It will not stop premature trail wear or tyre rutts but it will greatly reduce those effects.

If you are adding alot of dirt to the surface of a trail then mixing in small to medium sized stones before you compact everything down with a fire-rake will help to reduce rutting and wear also.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I find a 50/50 mixture of glue and clay works great, keeps the track together well but allows enough give to keep traction at its peak

I hope no one thinks this is serious

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a walk out in Nerang Sunday. From 1AM Sat to 1AM Sun there was 201mm of rain. Would you ride after that? No - then it wasn't you we saw riding either bikes or motos on singletrack! There's no stopping some people.

Actually a lot of it was pretty good considering and a lot of places were good to go, but certainly there was significant damage to some recently worked areas (inc some I expected to get destroyed at the first rain).