what tools?

michael-96

Likes Bikes
Hey guys i was just wondering for clearing off new track what sort of tool/s i should use, the soil is pretty hard, a fair few rocks but alot or shitty weedy grass in the way, can anyone please tell me what tools i should be using to rip the ground to peices? please!

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
A firerake will cut through grass/plants very well.

If you are going to build trails you should consider joining a trailcare crew.
You will work on all types of trails and repair problems, hopefully when you do this you will be taking a mental note of what may have caused these problems and also the solutions to these problems so that when you are working on something of your own you don't make the same mistakes.
If you do this you will save yourself alot of repairs in the future.

And as often stated on here you should not build where your not allowed to build.
Start with repairs to existing trails on trailcare days to get your techniques sorted, maybe by the time you are ready to build new trails you will no longer need to as the ones you already have might be riding great.

also keep all skill levels of riders in mind when creating/fixing trails, and don't make them dangerous.
An example of this might be to remove fallen branches/sharp sticks off the side of a trail where it is likley that someone might crash and fall. or to remove awkward rocks and logs under ladder bridges to allow an even surface for people to land on if they come off, hopefully saving someones ankles.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Also keep in mind roots are good for a tracks they hold dirt in place and help slow/prevent erosion. Another good guide is try not to exceed 50% of the hill decline, that is for every 1m you go down the hill go across 2m, this helps keep the trail from becoming a river, there are sections where you will cut back obviously, and when you exceed 50% ie a fast rough section keep the roots to help prevent wash away. Again trail preparation is the best thing, consider and develop drainage and make sure everything is built strong to prevent falling apart or crashes likewise remember to make a B-lines to accomodate slower or less exp riders.
Try to think about possible bail outs or crash areas where side coverage or dangerous objects should be removed.
It may sound like alot of effort but in the long run it will result in alot less effort keeping it maintained while keeping it as safe as it can be.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fire rake/trail rake, mattock, shovel, something to move soil and rocks with (trailsnail knows some good ones) and time and muscle

trailsnail

Likes Dirt
Yeah you have seen many crazy trail tool inventions from me over the past few years.

Overall i think a stretcher is a good do it all soil mover if you have two trail workers to use it.
I think if doing trail work you need a minimum of two people anyway so if your soil dosn't need to travel too far it gets my vote.
larger distances need a wheel barrow but it will limit where you can go.

An often overlooked trailcare tool is a file, keep your working edges of your tools reasonably sharp and digging will be easier also.