Whisky!

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
A pub here does whisk(e)Y paddles for $20, 3 serves at 15ml each. Unfortunately it seems that the training provided to staff is somewhat lacking around what goes on the paddles, and also how much. So for a while we would include this as a bit of a pisstake.
You'll be sorted this weekend then...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You'll be sorted this weekend then...

Yes...this will be my towns shining moment of glory. So glad we ave shaken off the steel city and coal hub cliches to become so progressive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I recently finished my holdings of Ardbeg 10 and this cold snap put me in a mild frenzy of "shit I need an Islay!!!". I decided I didn't want to spend all my money and I also wanted something really thick. Well instead I let the packaging guide me...surely something called Smokehead is going to be smoky? Well the reviews say it is but my tiny sniff and sip before work says it isn't. But it was pretty tasty, so I don't feel that I have wasted my money. I'll have a proper tasting when I get home. The rum finish definitely had a strong presence.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I tried the Smokehead a few years ago. It had the smoky punch, but lacked the finesse of the good Islays.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'll know soon enough. I'm expecting easy to drink without any real complexity.
Well it was an enjoyable drink, but nowhere near as smoky as the name implies! Nothing too complex and for not too much more there are some better islay options to be had. The rum casn finish gave a nice dimension and there was a little sea salt as well.

Cyclomaniac

Likes Dirt
Don't do it. I gave it a shot once, braced myself for the "intensely smoky and peaty blended Scotch whisky with an earthy, rich character" but it tasted like JW Red Label for Peat's sake!

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I see my beloved Lagavulin 16 year old is now $200 a bottle. Was going to try the Peats Sake but not so sure after reading it tastes like JW Red.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
The Yamazaki 12yo I still have the empty bottle for and paid around $150 for is not approaching $400 a bottle!

Rorschach

I think a lot of it comes from the Japanese whiskies doing really well in the awards a few years ago - I couldn't find a bottle of Yamazaki 12 when I was there for love nor money, and Dans were out of stock of them at about $80 a bottle

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I think a lot of it comes from the Japanese whiskies doing really well in the awards a few years ago - I couldn't find a bottle of Yamazaki 12 when I was there for love nor money, and Dans were out of stock of them at about $80 a bottle

They also had a long period of low production, poor quality, declining popularity, distillery closures, and then a sudden explosion in global demand. It has caused a surge in price (not a very Japanese thing) for a lot of their whisky and shortages of the more luxurious items domestically.

A funny whisky observation from my last visit was that it wasn't uncommon for restaurants to offer sale of some whiskies by the bottle (most frequently Dewar's options). They also have a love for Ballantine's.

Rorschach

They also had a long period of low production, poor quality, declining popularity, distillery closures, and then a sudden explosion in global demand. It has caused a surge in price (not a very Japanese thing) for a lot of their whisky and shortages of the more luxurious items domestically.

A funny whisky observation from my last visit was that it wasn't uncommon for restaurants to offer sale of some whiskies by the bottle (most frequently Dewar's options). They also have a love for Ballantine's.
We went to a few places where the bottles of Suntory were stacked along the wall for the salarymen to come and get their highballs