Whisky!

jrewing

Eats Squid
Dont drink much at all now. Spirits make me feel rough, though i thoroughly enjoy Bourbons. Cant enjoy Whisky, unfortunately. Have a couple of collected Whiskeys, the pride of them being a 78 Port Ellen 2nd Release ive had for 20 yrs roughly.
Funny story I misplaced it at my parents, and years later found it. Bare in mind my father is an alcoholic, who distills Methanol then flavours it to Scotch like hooch. He thought the Port Ellen was Port so he didnt drink it as he cant stand port. Phew

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Speaking of unobtainium. Look what I found from a hole in the wall in Taiwan.

Chivas Regal Hundreds Cask 2nd release from the 90s.

The shop also had vintage 18YO Macallan from 94 through to 99 amongst other liquid gold. I didn’t even know that Macallan had vintages until I saw these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well surprise, I've been drinking a nit of whisky while I've been in japan.

On the way here I had a bit of:

Makers Mark 101 - similar spicy high octane taste to wild Turkey 101, but a sweeter finish. This was good but I prefer the wild Turkey 101, and if you can get it...wild Turkey 101 8yr.

Makers Mark cellar aged - very delicious! The high alcohol (~58%) content was hardly noticeable against the intense barrel flavours. It was smooth and very drinkable.

Johnny walker blue label xo cognac cask finish - surprise! This was damn good. I wouldn't have paid the $450ish/bottle being asked for it, but it was good. A faint hint of smoke, sweet and fruity from the cognac, and mildly spicy.

Canadian club 6yr - quite spicy and not as sweet as the usual Canadian club. I don't feel the need to drink this again.

Ichiros malt wine cask reserve - strange nose. It was all "yeah that's whisky, but what is that offensive note running g though it?" It tasted good - sweet, tangy, short finish, only a hint of the wine cask. I've had a fair bit of whisky from this brand and they generally do much better than this.

Zenkoji pure malt whisky - from nagano and made near the beautiful zenkoji temple with spring water from Mt Fuji...apparently. anyway this was delicious. Slightly sweet and warming.

Fuji Sanroku - an easy drinking inexpensive whisky.

Suntory Toki - apparently a blend of hakushu and yamazaki whiskies. This is smooth easy drinking with a light taste. It goes well in a highball or cocktail.

Suntory Chita - I think is reasonably well known at home? It is a smooth easy drinking whisky with a little more body than Toki without being as heavy duty as yamazaki or hakushu.

Nikka yoichi - this is great stuff. Gently smoked (a good entry level amount for those unfamiliar with peat) and complex flavours. It's one of my favourites currently.

Nikka miyagikyo - this is another delicious offering, more of a fruity whisky.

Nikka super rare and old - gentle and creamy in the mouth, not a very strong whisky but still enjoyable.

Nikka black clear deep blend 45⁰ - for a cheap whisky this is very enjoyable. It isn't going to blow your mind, actually it might given the price to taste ratio. I got 700ml for about $15.

Fuji gotemba giraffe whisky land - that may not be an accurate translation. This is a Kiran whisky from Mt Fuji with no age statement. It is quite vanilla forward, smooth, and flavoursome. Very easy in the mouth and on the pocket...less than $15 for the 500ml bottle.

Kiran single malt japanese whisky Fuji - again with the translation issues...

There has been others, I've stopped paying enough attention. There was a lot one day last week ending at 430am. Ummmm also been the usual suspects - yamazaki (12 year and no age), hakushu, hibiki (various), and taketsuru.

A friend here took us to a liquor wholesaler the other day. I didn't want to lug bottles with me for the next 5 weeks so didn't grab anything. One of my clients grabbed a couple I've never seen before including one with a label made of cloth that has been embroided, like a scout badge

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I was allowed to touch this last night...but not drink it. Weird that this and some other wild Turkey items adorn the bar, but there is no bourbon for sale.

20240211_215506~2.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Meh. When surrounded by so much good sake and whiskey, why bother?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
And shochu!

But bother because one can. There's another place here with an old bottle of balantine's 17 on display as their prize collectible.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Forgot to include 2 toguchi:
- peated cask finish: wierd...drinkable, but only just. It had a variery of flavours fighting each other to be noticed. There is no need to drink this again.
- premium: this one is very ice and easy to drink.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
This was very smooth, gentle hints of oak and red wine. Nothing surprising or revolutionary but nice for lunch with my big skirt steak and medium pork steak. The wait staff were very confused by the size of my lunch.
Your liver seems to have been running a Whisky marathon lately!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Tried these last night.

Well colour me shocked, the Shochu was like Japanese whiskey.

The Japanese whiskey was very nice, but not super complex.

The Solera Rye was complex but not very nice.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There won't be many more of these, time in japan is running out fast. Spent the day chasing a super fancy bottle of cognac I'd seen listed on sale...couldn't find it. Got rained on plenty. Also grabbed this for less than $3 and it was a pretty good whisky soda. Apparently suntory will soon release an hakushu can...I'll wait until next season for that I guess. I can't imagine it being affordable at home.

20240312_203210~2.jpg