Whisky!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wouldn't constrain it to Aberlour, I'm guessing that it's whisky in general. I'll try the Kavalan next.
Whisky does have a distinctive core flavour, similar across most styles. Perhaps it's time to try whiskey instead? Its varieties tend to be a little sweeter.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Whisky does have a distinctive core flavour, similar across most styles. Perhaps it's time to try whiskey instead? Its varieties tend to be a little sweeter.
I bought a few small batch bourbons, at about $80-100, but there was no way that they could have been mistaken for something smooth. I'm happy to spend up to $120 to look for something nice, but I feel like an arsehole drinking them with coke when I don't like them neat/with ice.

I'll probably hold on to the Aberlour and Kavalan for a while, in the hope that I develop a pallet. I like the idea of sitting around the fire pit during a winter sipping a nice whisky - I just wish I could make reality match my cliche mental image.

MasterOfReality

After forever
Was given a bottle of Aberlour single malt 12 and finally got around to it.

It took three drafts for me to decide that whilst I can identify quality, I can't enjoy the taste. I will continue to sip each glass I pour in the hope that I develop a palette, but until then, it's gonna have to be coked to get it down!

Was given a bottle of Kavalan as well, about $130 worth of Taiwanese whisky. Maybe I'll like that better....
I opened the same bottle of Aberlour last week. Took a few goes to decide that I like it. It's fairly spicy I reckon.

My previous bottle was Tottori Jap blended whisky which was nice and inoffensive.

Much better than the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or Single Malt before the Tottori, that was disgusting. I tried it with an ice cube, a couple drops of water etc to try and take the edge off it but it was still shit. Ended up mixing it, alternating with coke and dry to get rid of it. Felt dirty because it was a $130 bottle.

I'm usually a rum drinker (currently on a bottle of 20 year old Dictador), just trying to broaden my tastes!

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I opened the same bottle of Aberlour last week. Took a few goes to decide that I like it. It's fairly spicy I reckon.

My previous bottle was Tottori Jap blended whisky which was nice and inoffensive.

Much better than the Glenmorangie Nectar d'Or Single Malt before the Tottori, that was disgusting. I tried it with an ice cube, a couple drops of water etc to try and take the edge off it but it was still shit. Ended up mixing it, alternating with coke and dry to get rid of it. Felt dirty because it was a $130 bottle.

I'm usually a rum drinker (currently on a bottle of 20 year old Dictador), just trying to broaden my tastes!
Yep, normally a beer or cocktail drinker (whiskey sour, martini, black Russian, etc.)..., mostly beer though.

I feel like I'm missing out on something not being able to enjoy things like a good whisky (and rum, now that you mention it).

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Yep, normally a beer or cocktail drinker (whiskey sour, martini, black Russian, etc.)..., mostly beer though.

I feel like I'm missing out on something not being able to enjoy things like a good whisky (and rum, now that you mention it).
The youngest Glenmorangie whisky I found fairly easy to drink - there was a slightly sweet and floral taste, IIRC. Beenleigh double cask 5yo rum is an easy one as well. It's fine neat or mixed. If you like rum, Beenleigh will go alright and isn't stupidly expensive like a lot of whisky, and primo rum.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You definitely are! The feeling of superiority that comes from it is unfathomable until you have tasted it. So to speak...given you have mentioned using coke as a mixer, I'm going to guess you don't mind a sweet drink @johnny ? If so here's a couple of easy takes to go neat with:

Diplomatico reserva rum
atholl brose scotch liqueur (similar concept to Drambuie but much more developed flavours)
1800 reserva anejo tequila (this may or may not be a natural tequila, but it is smooth rich and easy to enjoy)

atholl brose details, because it's gooooooooood:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
All this talk of Aberlour had me reaching for this at a mates on the weekend, enjoyable but definitely not something to get carried away with.

1692605419532.jpeg

ausdb

Being who he is
I'm not much a whisky drinker but had one of those days when you wake up feeling a little bit older a few weeks back and was given a bottle of Bowmore No1 to commiserate with. I'm not one for alcohol prose but overall impression is very approachable, sweetness dominates and the peat/smokiness got lost in transit or the cask because I can't taste it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cracked a Balvenie 12, a Bunnahabhain 12, and some other stuff last night with my brother in law. The Balvenie is crazy smooth, a really approachable drop. The unpronounceable Islay blew my head and socks off. Very much like a super boozy Christmas cake from my dreams..

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Bacardi is the classic, but other brands of white rum are also good. But personally I like my mojito made off a dark rum...last time I was doing this I used baron samedi. I have also done it with Havana club 7 year. Both were well received by customers and are a better drink when you don't want mojitos

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
@pink poodle @Oddjob or anybody else who's into boozing spirits.

I feel like making some mojitos on the weekend - what's a nice rum you'd recommend for this?
It’s meant to be a white rum but I’m with Poods a dark rum is more interesting, I’m a big fan of the Ratu range from Fiji. Or ditch the rum and get some Cachaca which I often find is more interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk