Whisky!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Cracked into this last night for a mates b'day.

Even the box is a work of art.

]
What was the douche factor?

(Douche factor = appearance of product/performance of product. Anything less than one is not douche.)

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

Oddjob

Tbh, probably wasted on my uneducated palate, my usual go to is Balvenie 12 but this was a definite step up...will taste again.
Balvenie 12 is a solid benchmark.

Royal Salute has a douche factor of 1. It delivers what it promises.

Lagavulin is a douche factor of 0.5. Ordinary bottle, great drink.

Vintage Chombard is a douche factor of 2. Fancy grenadine with a really fancy bottle.

Remy Martin XO is a douche factor of 5 just because it tastes so awful, but promises so much.

nzhumpy

The Lagavulin came out as well but it's just not my cuppa, had one and went back to the Speysides.

We tried a few others as well (bottled whisky cocktails) which went down well even with the non-whisky drinkers, will get the details.

Any surfer or coastal resident should also get onto the Hedricks Neptunia...undertones of kelp in gin, sounds horrid but works surprisingly well.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Too many good drinks come in shit packaging. By the time they start asking over $100 it's time to put some effort into the design!

Chambord is delicious and nothing like grenadine. They also have 10/10 packaging. I worked in a bottle shop a while back in the lead up to mother's Day...with that beautiful packaging and easy price it was an easy sale.

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
I happened to see it when I was looking for whisky that is actually good and doesn't taste like someone smoked bongs through it.
Highland and Speyside for me.
Still $142 online.
Checked Coles.com.au today, bought two bottles and at the checkout it was 10% off Woohoo, $122 a bottle, thank you again @Freediver. One for me and one for my business partner

nzhumpy

Does it do the fancy bottle justice?

I think so, a splash of water and she's good to go but not alot of difference to the 21yo we got stuck into a few months back, worth the coin....probably not for me.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Got a couple of decent whisky’s recently courtesy of people going internationally:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
What do you think of that one @nzhumpy ? I've had it a few times and felt it was underwhelming, especially at that price point.

Having just returned from Japan, I have consumes a long list of Japanese whisky.l, from the cheapest (the was a bit of a ¥1000 challenge) to some expensive delights. I may et ad remember them at some stage. I also brought home:

(I was put on to Ichiro a few years ago by the patriarch of powder - the owner of Seki Onsen ski field. He is quite a dude! This year he asked me to join him for tequila when he opened the ski field up.)

https://dekanta.com/store/the-nikka-tailored/

There was a lot of Nikka to be had and when it came time to choose a take home this bottle caught my eye.

I haven't tried with of these so hopefully they don't disappoint!

nzhumpy

What do you think of that one @nzhumpy ? I've had it a few times and felt it was underwhelming, especially at that price point.
To my very uneducated palate I thought it was very nice, a bit more bite/sharpness than I was expecting but the dash of water smoothed that out, and yeah at that price point I won't be rushing out a buying a case.

Oddjob

To my very uneducated palate I thought it was very nice, a bit more bite/sharpness than I was expecting but the dash of water smoothed that out, and yeah at that price point I won't be rushing out a buying a case.
Wow $450 a pop. It would have to be unbelievable to be better than Royal Salute at $210 a bottle.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@pink poodle big spender, that Nikka was probs $30 at the Lawson
Hahaha! A little more than that...all of ¥6480 at the Donki, so a long way from the Dekanta price.

I did buy a mini bottle of this from a 7-11 or family mart one afternoon for about ¥1000 (an entrant to the ¥1000 challenge - what is the best whisky one can buy for around ¥1000?) and found it to be most delicious...again the price I can find it for online is not reflective of the price on the ground.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have found it to be underwhelming, especially for the cost. At that sort of price and much less there are a lot of really flavoursome whiskies to be found! But it isn't an offensive drink.

Wow $450 a pop. It would have to be unbelievable to be better than Royal Salute at $210 a bottle.

A pub here does whisk(e)Y paddles for $20, 3 serves at 15ml each. Unfortunately it seems that the training provided to staff is somewhat lacking around what goes on the paddles, and also how much. So for a while we would include this as a bit of a pisstake.