Little Things You Hate

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
We clearly need more people in the forest swinging shovels and yelling "fuck off Jerry!" to help regulate novice riders over estimating their skill level and fucking up trails. If you can't ride well, stay home until you can.

Also... Around here eeeeeebs seem to be more frequently associated with riding up the down trails.

Lastly, I reckon that if I was considering going electric I'd get one of those full on electric motorcycles (like Sauron etc, not the stealth bomber bullshit) style bikes over an e-assisted pedal bike. If I'm going in, I'm going all in.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Lastly, I reckon that if I was considering going electric I'd get one of those full on electric motorcycles (like Sauron etc, not the stealth bomber bullshit) style bikes over an e-assisted pedal bike. If I'm going in, I'm going all in.
Exactly, and this is the mindset that necessitates the total bans like those posted above.

Too many people disregard the rules and say "but if class 1 E is allowed, why not my e bike (which is actually not an bike, but an e moto)". I can understand totally why land managers couldn't be assed dealing with trying to figure out the differences between them TBH. No motors is just much easier to manage.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
That's a pretty flawed argument.
Anecdotally I'd say it isn't.

Round some of my favourite places to ride eebs are approaching 50% of what people are riding, if not higher. Plus they overtake me on the climbs and it's not hard to notice the same ones going past over and over again. It's obvious most are getting many, many more runs in then if they were riding unassisted which equates to more trail wear. Speed differences on climbs and more undulating (i.e. not descending) trails are way higher for ebikes which is largely why I suspect places like Lysterfield binned all their two way trails to be one way only.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Exactly, and this is the mindset that necessitates the total bans like those posted above.

Too many people disregard the rules and say "but if class 1 E is allowed, why not my e bike (which is actually not an bike, but an e moto)". I can understand totally why land managers couldn't be assed dealing with trying to figure out the differences between them TBH. No motors is just much easier to manage.
The same argument could just as easily be made by saying that "My bike has two wheels and mountain bikes have two wheels so what's the difference?"

Examples of people doing the wrong thing is no argument against Ebikes. If that was the case none of us would be riding.

The argument of an electric dirt bike riding up an MTB trail and hitting that rider shouldn't be that it was an electric dirt bike, it should be plainly be, that it was a Dirt Bike! Whether it's Electric, Fourstroke, Twostroke, they are all dirt bikes.

The claim that they are hard to police because they can't be identified is no different that it always has been with any dirt bike.

The two on the left are so much closer to each other than the other two on the right.
1681349392703.png

Stredda

Anecdotally I'd say it isn't.

Round some of my favourite places to ride eebs are approaching 50% of what people are riding, if not higher. Plus they overtake me on the climbs and it's not hard to notice the same ones going past over and over again. It's obvious most are getting many, many more runs in then if they were riding unassisted which equates to more trail wear. Speed differences on climbs and more undulating (i.e. not descending) trails are way higher for ebikes which is largely why I suspect places like Lysterfield binned all their two way trails to be one way only.
Once again, all hearsay and you are still technically saying that everyone should be riding less. You can't pick and choose.

Sure, there probably are places where Ebikes are in higher numbers, or it could be that you see them more often because they do overtake you on the climbs. That's still no argument to say Ebikes ride more therefore we must ban them because they will wear out the trails. That still implies that any more riding should be discouraged as it creates more wear. You may as well to say, let's stop all riding and then there will be no wear on the trails.

You need to think about it in a different way. We have more users and or km getting ridden so this is good grounds for more funding for more trails or increased maintenance budgets.

I'm working on a couple of projects at the moment and the reason stated for the need for more trails and a trail maintenance budget is that there are far more people riding now than before, Ebike or otherwise.

Stredda

It's easy to tell the difference. All ebike riders are fat lazy old guys and edirtbikers are reckless teen hooligans. I thought this widely know???
The two on the left are way closer to each other than the two on the right.

1681351198803.png

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You don't need rego to ride on MTB trails.
Well there is some wisdom! I reckon some of the good dh tracks around here would make awesome tech climbs. I might key up a demo ride on a suron (local distro) to go bottom to op at Awaba dh! No more shuttle pigs needed.

Flow-Rider

Burner
That's a pretty flawed argument.
Yes, more riding means more wear, but could also say that the huge uptake of mountain biking as a whole has caused more wear and tear on the trails. Do we limit to how many riders can ride each trail and that you can only ride once a week? E-mountain bike sales are less that 20% of MTB sales so the wear and tear is by far coming from the non-Ebikes.
Ebikes get no more speed going downhill than a normal bike and skidding into corners has been a problem with riders well before Ebikes were a thing.

I've heard all the thinly researched arguments against Ebikes and I haven't seen one that stacks up with any real world evidence.

"They are heavier so do more damage" There's far more difference in the weight of the rider than the bike.
"They cut switchbacks" Cutting switchbacks has been an issue well before Ebikes existed.
"They are new to MTB and don't know how to respect the trails and other users" That could be said for anyone new to mountain biking and a large majority have been mountain biking for years.
"The speed differences are too much between Ebike to non Ebikes" The speed difference between a elite rider and an unfit beginner is far larger.
"They can ride farther so cause more wear" So we start restricting to how far people can ride now? :rolleyes:
Like anything, it comes down to education, whether it be a code of conduct placed at trail heads, trail etiquette pushed in MTB media and clubs and calling out actions if it is seen, and that goes for all riders, regardless of what they ride.
Take it easy, this e-bike story always goes around in circles, I just stated a fact from my small group of friends.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Listen to this while reading this story

Not such a little thing I hate. JFC this is going to be a mess.

Miss 12 has a bad track record loosing phones. Kids are not able to obtain a SIM card in their own name, so this sim in question is allocated to me.

I locked the phone down and wiped it remotely in late 2019 I believe once little miss fessed up it was missing.

I failed to notify the network provider the sim was lost, it was a prepaid that had little credit left. Turns out mobile numbers, once relinquished or abandoned, only have a 6 month quarantine period before reissue.

Whoever stole the phone with the sim has gone wild before this 6 month period has elapsed and it’s been reissued to a new Optus customer.

My wife sent a message to the old number by accident yesterday “hi honey please turn off the oven”

So new SIM card owner calls the wife this morning.

This fine gentleman is from Newcastle. I called him this afternoon, 50 yo gentleman who admitted he’s suffered a 20 plus year meth addiction, but is asking me wtf is going on, who’s got the number ending in 274 telling him to turn the oven off, and why all these debt collectors are calling him.

My credit report is clean and locked down after the Optus data breech. But still. Off to the cops tomorrow to report this, rather get in front of it.

Still a good chance our Newcastle meth addict isn’t innocent and I will need Poodles fine services.