Can America be fixed?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Found this a good read about how the progun lobby skews the data.
Does the United States Have a Lower Death Rate From Mass Shootings Than European Countries? | Snopes.com

A common report from John Lott who runs a pro-guns rights not for profit is often quoted.
Here it puts Norway at the top of the list for per capita death rate from 2009 to 2015, the US is 11th.

The sneaky thing is, that in Norway in that timeframe, there was just one mass shooting in 2011 but because there was 69 killed and their population is much smaller it puts them at the top of the list if you look at the average death rate per million.
The US for example had 39 deaths in 2009, 12 in 2010, 18 in 2011, 66 in 2012, 16 in 2013, 12 in 2014, and 37 in 2015 for a total of 199 and mutiple shootings every year since! :(

Flow-Rider

Burner
Is there some common reason that the adult perpetrators of these shootings decide to go and shoot up schools full of children? I can kind of comprehend why a school student might go to their school and shoot it up (enemies, revenge, bullies, heartbreak, teachers, and so on perhaps?), but adults?

If you have a look at this list, most of the adult attackers had some type of connection with the school and a grievance with someone at the institution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
The sad thing though is this feeds the rhetoric of the left are coming to take your guns which conveniently for the right side steps the actual issue.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I just see it as crazy that the solutions from Ted Cruz is “One of the things that everyone agreed is don’t have all of these unlocked back doors. Have one door into and out of the school and have ... armed police officers at that door,”
So the schools become like a jail? I think some of the progun US politicians and NRA members need to go to some other countries and see how the real world live. That is not normal, but I think they just shrug their shoulders and say "what else can we do". :rolleyes:"
Fire drills would be difficult in such a context, means of escape in an actual fire more so...

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Fire drills would be difficult in such a context, means of escape in an actual fire more so...
Yeah but if you look at the stats more people die from guns than school fires* so it's all fine....... Yep it's all fine

*I have no idea if this is true but it's not a bad guess

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Yeah but if you look at the stats more people die from guns than school fires* so it's all fine....... Yep it's all fine

*I have no idea if this is true but it's not a bad guess
Truth is irrelevant. The nuance of the narrative is what counts.

Flow-Rider

Burner

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Those stats are for children and adolescents? So perhaps seat belts and childs seats as well as the general improvements in safety for cars with secondary systems and airbags? Stats for adults are probably not much improved because you know masks and seatbelts and shit.

dazz

Downhill Dazz

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not to mention having a nice, tight target group at a bottleneck during predictable times. Don’t even have to aim, just stand at a distance and hose the crowd down with brass. Excellent solution.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is worth watching, seems to have no bias towards either side (I haven't got to the end yet)

You will never see this kind of objective analysis discussed in our media, they are rusted on to the Guns Are Bad narrative.

Reactions: PJO

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I watched it with some skimming. He seems to not really say anything except a bit of guns don't kill, (mentally ill) people (on drugs) do, as a very flimsy correlation. He said there needs to be a discussion on gun control, one time (that I heard). I feel it is biased against gun control.

Guns Are Bad narrative.
What's good about them, in the context of the right to bear arms in case you have to shoot other people?

Ackland

chats d'élevage
This is worth watching, seems to have no bias towards either side (I haven't got to the end yet)

You will never see this kind of objective analysis discussed in our media, they are rusted on to the Guns Are Bad narrative.
Yeah I can see how it tracks that a medical doctor is an authority on the matter......

All of his points are covered in the Steve Hoffstetter video which discusses the most common pro gun arguments.
(I acknowledge that Steve is also a YouTuber and comedian so I've voided my own argument)

Common sense tells me that members of the public shouldn't be able to freely access unregulated guns across porous legislative borders within a country that is so obsessed with them that they don't care that statistically the person they'll most likely kill is themselves or a family member