Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Took apart the headlights on the Scenic to get at the internal wiring... The lights are made by Hella, and this issue is rampant in German car circles it seems. You can even buy new looms for the common beemers etc. Wire insulation is not up to heat cycles...

One headlight I can save the wiring as the plug is ok with enough good wire to splice new wire into, this one is stuffed though...
Ooof, sketchy.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Took apart the headlights on the Scenic to get at the internal wiring... The lights are made by Hella, and this issue is rampant in German car circles it seems. You can even buy new looms for the common beemers etc. Wire insulation is not up to heat cycles...

One headlight I can save the wiring as the plug is ok with enough good wire to splice new wire into, this one is stuffed though...
Can you find what connectors they are? If so, just order the crimp terminals from Digikey and remake them.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Can you find what connectors they are? If so, just order the crimp terminals from Digikey and remake them.
They're all very very bespoke alas... You can see where one pin is pushed in where I've been trying to de pin the main plug - no joy, its glued in I think... I think I'll just have to spring the $400 for a pair of new TYC lights.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Glued in? That's disappointing. I've modded the wiring on some of our Mercs and they are easy to de-pin with little o-rings on each pin to keep things water tight. Most hassle was finding the part number for the pins.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Glued in? That's disappointing. I've modded the wiring on some of our Mercs and they are easy to de-pin with little o-rings on each pin to keep things water tight. Most hassle was finding the part number for the pins.
Yeah, its an odd one. I'll try again... But the lens are very cloudy, I was going to sand them back and give them a coat of 2pak clear which is good for a couple of years tops. Any used headlight will have the same issues... I can get a lot of LHD options cheap....

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981