Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Minlak

custom titis
I think this probably belongs in here as it is general car / vehicle discussion.

All new cars in the EU will be fitted with speed-limiting devices within three years, after a group of key European government officials voted overnight in favour of making a large number of safety measures mandatory on new cars by 2022.

Sooo - Apparently this is legislation that they have wanted to enable for many years but the technology was not quite there. So you know that new safety feature so many cars have now where it recognises speed signs and wans you? That is part of the process - So many cars in the market already could be software patched to enable the law retrospectively.

Now Europe is a massive market and whilst the device may not be enabled in your country initially the technology will be in place to make it active at any time.

The new Euro emissions coming in now also factor in sound not just fuel emissions - I just bought a new Exhaust (Slip on) for my motorbike and it meets euro 5 standards so to remove the baffle you either have to cut it out or drill the rivets remove the end cap and remove 3 bolts that have been spot welded to stop them being removed easily. Only a few years ago you just undid a bolt and pulled the baffle out.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Makes sense, the issue for me is people not paying attention to their surroundings, poor road design and people driving under the speed limit.

Going fast has rarely seen good outcomes.

Get your thrills in other ways that don't put other people in danger.

Minlak

custom titis
Makes sense, the issue for me is people not paying attention to their surroundings, poor road design and people driving under the speed limit.

Going fast has rarely seen good outcomes.

Get your thrills in other ways that don't put other people in danger.
So your doing 90 behind a B Double truck and you get to a passing lane - Now what? you cant go faster than 100 - Yet you say people driving under the speed limit is an issue?

Even worse - safe to overtake and caravan 3 cars in front of you is doing 80 - Now what?

HamboCairns

So you're doing 90 behind a B Double truck and you get to a passing lane - Now what? You cant go faster than 100 - Yet you say people driving under the speed limit is an issue?
Well yeah, if they were travelling at 100 then you wouldn't need to overtake. Also you're assuming that overtaking lanes won't be modified to allow 10kph over the limit. I think they will if they impose speed limiters for safer overtaking.

Even worse - safe to overtake and caravan 3 cars in front of you are doing 80 - Now what?
No issues, all cars find another 20kph in the overtaking section of a road ;)

Then you as a driver need to make a judgement call on whether it's safe to overtake. Otherwise you're saying you need to break the limit to overtake and so you've misjudged anyway.

Minlak

custom titis
Well yeah, if they were travelling at 100 then you wouldn't need to overtake. Also you're assuming that overtaking lanes won't be modified to allow 10kph over the limit. I think they will if they impose speed limiters for safer overtaking.

No issues, all cars find another 20kph in the overtaking section of a road ;)

Then you as a driver need to make a judgement call on whether it's safe to overtake. Otherwise you're saying you need to break the limit to overtake and so you've misjudged anyway.
Ok lets do this - Was going to blow off the need for you to reply over the quality of reply but lets do this.
1) Well yeah, if they were travelling at 100 then you wouldn't need to overtake -
Correct however there are many reasons a car could be doing just 10km/h less than you - Towing - Not as confident - Speedo incorrect - driver wanting to make sure they are safe.
  1. Also you're assuming that overtaking lanes won't be modified to allow 10kph over the limit. I think they will if they impose speed limiters for safer overtaking. - So a limiter that allows you to break the limit? I don't think you comprehend the speed limiter intention of not allowing you to break the speed limit - B) Cause trucks famously are allowed to change there limiter to just overtake?
  2. No issues, all cars find another 20kph in the overtaking section of a road ;) - Understand the wink and included it - but they too are limited so speed limit it will be and you will be on speed limit so they can return to 90 when the overtaking lane is gone.
  3. Then you as a driver need to make a judgement call on whether it's safe to overtake. Otherwise you're saying you need to break the limit to overtake and so you've misjudged anyway. - Soooo my point is that with out breaking the speed limit you are not going to pass more than 1 car on a very long stretch of open road.

Math for you -
You are supposed to drive safely 2 Chevrons behind the lead vehicle
2 Chevrons - 92m
90km/h 25m/s
100km/h 27.7m/s
So it takes you 30 secs to travel 92m at 100km/h in that time the lead car has travelled 75m so you gained 18m in 30 secs so 153secs to catch up to the rear of the car (you have not even passed yet) and you have travelled 4.2kms - So no overtaking.

HamboCairns

Ok lets do this - Was going to blow off the need for you to reply over the quality of reply but lets do this.
1) Well yeah, if they were travelling at 100 then you wouldn't need to overtake -
Correct however there are many reasons a car could be doing just 10km/h less than you - Towing - Not as confident - Speedo incorrect - driver wanting to make sure they are safe.
  1. Also you're assuming that overtaking lanes won't be modified to allow 10kph over the limit. I think they will if they impose speed limiters for safer overtaking. - So a limiter that allows you to break the limit? I don't think you comprehend the speed limiter intention of not allowing you to break the speed limit - B) Cause trucks famously are allowed to change there limiter to just overtake?
  2. No issues, all cars find another 20kph in the overtaking section of a road ;) - Understand the wink and included it - but they too are limited so speed limit it will be and you will be on speed limit so they can return to 90 when the overtaking lane is gone.
  3. Then you as a driver need to make a judgement call on whether it's safe to overtake. Otherwise you're saying you need to break the limit to overtake and so you've misjudged anyway. - Soooo my point is that with out breaking the speed limit you are not going to pass more than 1 car on a very long stretch of open road.
Math for you -
2 Chevrons - 92m
90km/h 25m/s
100km/h 27.7m/s
So it takes you 30 secs to travel 92m at 100km/h in that time the lead car has travelled 75m so you gained 18m in 30 secs so 153secs to catch up to the rear of the car (you have not even passed yet) and you have travelled 4.2kms - So no overtaking.
"Also you're assuming that overtaking lanes won't be modified to allow 10kph over the limit."

Sorry I should have said - "
Also you're assuming that the speed limit for overtaking lanes won't be increased by 10kph-20kph over the prevailing road limit (so 100kph for an 80kph road)."

To be honest, I'm for speed limiters but there needs to be leeway to allow for situations where breaking the limit is the safe option. The number of times some chunt has accelerated to 110kph while I'm overtaking them in a 100kph limit...

It comes down to poor road planning for me. Overtaking lanes should be engineered to allow 120kph with enough merging run off that there's no banking up at the other end. So for example reduce the speed limit well before the merging happens so that everyone can merge at a safe speed.

If you get caught out then you've badly misjudged and probably left it too late. But testing will tell us if my hypothesis works out!

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Math for you -
2 Chevrons - 92m
90km/h 25m/s
100km/h 27.7m/s
No strong opinions on speed limiting cars or not, but just here to say your maths is incredibly wrong. 92/27.7- 3.3 seconds.. Not 30.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
206kW which was largely ignored. In a car chase if the chase exceeds 180 the Police give up. But then you get a visit at home which is hard to ignore.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's a fantasy thinking that the Australian Govt will ever enforce 100km limiters because the Pole-lease make too much money from booking everyone.

Even the standard executive V6 commode of the 90's reached 200kms no worries :D, I got caught over 200 in a fairly stock S-Pack 6 cylinder Cortina, first and last time I was ever let off by law enforcement, only because of a technicality.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
It's a fantasy thinking that the Australian Govt will ever enforce 100km limiters because the Pole-lease make too much money from booking everyone.

Even the standard executive V6 commode of the 90's reached 200kms no worries :D, I got caught over 200 in a fairly stock S-Pack 6 cylinder Cortina, first and last time I was ever let off by law enforcement, only because of a technicality.
What was the technicality?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)

I can assure you there were many worries when my '94 V6 Exec approached 200km/h. Aside from the engine feeling like it was going to throw a rod, the amount of air being trapped under the car meant the front wheels felt like they were barely touching the ground. I also aborted at ~190km/h when I considered that if I couldn't see an obstacle coming some way past the horizon, the feeble brakes were never going to stop me in time. I was a "sensible" 19yo.

More seriously, @HamboCairns while speed limiters are not inherently bad, they are a shit solution when governments solution for everything (poor road surface, too much roadside advertising, bad or missing signage, drunks falling onto the road because liquor laws aren't policed and no pedestrian barriers on high pedestrian traffic urban "nightlife" roads, etc etc...). Artificially lower speed limits reduces the driver's perceived danger of the road, which leads to either drowsiness, inattention or both.