Yasi

brad353

Likes Dirt
here's a few pictures that i took the day after yasi when i went for a drive with a mate. driving along the strand in townsville reminded me of camping on fraser island, the streets were nearly completely covered in sand. so many powerlines down everywhere with trees just lurching on them. i still haven't got power back on at my place and don't expect to for a while as there's plenty of lines down in my street still. i can honestly say now that if you've never been in a cyclone then you have absolutely no idea what it's like, even if you think you do. i thought i had some idea until last week when it hit and it completely changed my level of respect for mother nature. townsville copped category three.... i never wanna see worse than that ever in my life. my heart goes out to those north of us and south of cairns.

hey dags i can probably get a hold of a chainsaw to bring upto douglas this weekend if needed.

(2nd & 3rd pictures are of the strand)

Attachments

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good time to buy a cheap launch;)
In all seriousness, it is pretty bad what is happening over there. Tropical Lows/Cyclones in WA are loathed by many but many, myself included, froth at the prospect of a cyclone. I've been at home thrice since Dec 29 for a total of 10 days due to some suspect lows and TC Bianca.
The downside for me is I cannot take the time to travel east to help with the clean up, which is what I personally would rather do that donate to a burgeoning beauracratic clusterfuck of mismanagement and misappropriation.

Last edited:

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Well, innisfail got out of it alot better then last time it would seem. Tully on the other hand is shagged. Businesses back up and running and all, albeit running while we are ripping out their carpets and tarping their roofs but as some of them said they are just more open then usual. I think our teams are heading to mission beach and cardwell tomorrow so that will be interesting. One thing I have noticed is how many houses are still missing in innisfail after cyclone Larry. Alot just haven't been rebuilt.

On another note, anyone got a bike for runs in cairns on Friday? I'm sure my SES gear will be suitable body armour and I've got a floppy hat for a full face

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My Cyclone relief money just got approved and will be deposited in my account on Monday. I went without power from Wed night to Sunday night and was cleaning up pretty much all day for those few days.

Pretty easy to claim from Centrelink as well, so props to them.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
^^^^^That sounds positive. Hope you get back on your feet asap.
It is good to hear some positive feedback like this from people such as yourself.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
With the political turmoil in Egypt etc and the NZ earthquake dominating the media of late, how are any rotorburn members who were flooded or effected by Yasi going?
Is life returning to normal?

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Thats The Barron Gorge its about 248 meters or so, the photos don't do it justice. Only 2 weeks to the white water festival which will be insane or moved to calmer waters. I will get up later in the week and get some footage as I have never seen it that impressive in the last ten years, nature can be pretty awesome.

Yowie

Likes Dirt
This one is on the road to the falls, there was about a dozen or so on these 'little' falls. I ran along the road past this one to take a photo of the car parked on the other side but managed to get my finger in all the photos. Running through the spray going over the road was like being on the receiving end of a high pressure cleaner.

Attachments