Yasi

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
To put it in a bit more perspective, TC Larry was 100km wide, TC Yasi is 500km wide. Larry dumped 500mm rain, Yasi is expected to bring 1000mm. And the storm surge is predicted to be 7m, Larry's was 2.3 - 4.9m. It's not just the winds, the water will be as devastating in parts.

Good luck and be safe people in NQ.

[EDIT] Storm surge downgraded to 2.5m as it will hit at low tide. Some good news.

Last edited:

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its weird that Katrina had the only 350mm of rain when it was so HUGE and that picture of it is very scary, just looks like a perfect hurricane

hayden olsen

Likes Bikes
i dont really understand why the floods ( very devastating i know ) got like 48 hours worth of news coverage on nine and most channels yet this massive cyclone has just got afew stories on the normal news and radio yet it seems to be alot more dangerous and is expected to kill 100's ??

Steve-0

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck to everyone in the path of this shit storm. I know how it feels to lose your home, it sucks. Everyone asks, "was it scary seeing your house flood?" No, not really. It rises so slowly it's just sad. But a cyclone, THATS scary!.

Hopefully everyone gets out alive, that's the main thing. It may take awhile but houses can slowly be replaced. QLD is going to be messed up for years, The flood will put a strain on ALL trades for like 2 years and now this cyclone is just going to add another 3 at least.

Good thing us Australians are a resilient bunch.

i dont really understand why the floods ( very devastating i know ) got like 48 hours worth of news coverage on nine and most channels yet this massive cyclone has just got afew stories on the normal news and radio yet it seems to be alot more dangerous and is expected to kill 100's ??
Because the flood directly affected the capital city of QLD. More people, More business etc. '74 flood was absolutely horrendous.. Media coverage is a strange thing. Reporters go nuts about a couple of miners down a hole but a natural disaster in a country town gets 2hrs max. Cyclone Yasi on the other hand affects a LARGE area and has the potential for a much higher toll... then next 72hrs will see alot of media coverage no doubt. Cyclone Yasi > 2011 Floods. Hold on Rotorburners!

Last edited:

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the media is probably chomping at the bit waiting for the after effects, then it will be the only thing on tv, just like the floods.

MTBmaster05

Likes Dirt
In townsville currently and we have got 6m swells at the beach all ready and its just the begining, ive had 2 trees snap, palm trees. its not as bad as they say inside but out side its crazy.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus running a 24hr coverage in places like Townsville, Cairns, Innesvale (SP) and the likes is a little dangerous. The companies/shows would not be allowed to have reporters in places that they know they might loose their lives. I am sure when it all passes there will be plenty of coverage.

Thoughts are with the people of Northern Queensland, hope it is not as bad as it is predicted. :(

Spotty

Likes Dirt
Yeah, good luck to everyone up around that area, im sure all of us are thinking of you. What worries me most, is another queensland death toll :(. Hopefully everyone makes it out ok.

Stay safe 'burners :)

Edit: what would be good is another seventyseven in the region.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
watching and thinking of the QLD-ers. batten down the hatches, stay safe peeps. although it may take time and money, property can be replaced, lives can't.

Yowie

Likes Dirt
Yep pretty windy now plenty of trees down already in my street and the big bit hasn't even arrived yet. Feel bad for the Innisfail people though.

Just got sent this

Y you
A are
S screwed
I Innisfail

At least spirits are high

wombat

Lives in a hole
I'm not sure how to embed pictures anymore but this is my backyard at the moment.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25483187@N02/5410403554
/
Shit dude, I hope everything holds together OK for you guys.

Although, if at any point you see any channel nine reporters up there, can you headbutt them for me?
I just saw some of their 'coverage' on after the cricket, and they're trying to build this up like a title fight; "this storm is going to be DEADLY". Fucking wankers.

All the best to those up there, and I for one hope that it isn't deadly at all.

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
Although, if at any point you see any channel nine reporters up there, can you headbutt them for me?
I just saw some of their 'coverage' on after the cricket, and they're trying to build this up like a title fight; "this storm is going to be DEADLY". Fucking wankers.

Yer, typical media field day.

Good luck up there guys - we shall be thinking of you!

galumay

Likes Bikes
Good luck to my southern neighbours! We territorians are familiar with cyclones, and that one is definitely one to avoid.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
Shit dude, I hope everything holds together OK for you guys.

All the best to those up there, and I for one hope that it isn't deadly at all.
i was watching something before and they interviewed some old guy who survived tracey (?) and said "do you think this is going to be worse than tracey?"
what kind of f-kn question is that?? everyone KNOWS it will be worse than tracey, D grade journalism at it's best..