Yasi

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Its the kind of question that has relevance. No one can predict what devastation a storm will have. Tracey was hardly the biggest cyclone Australias seen but it pretty much obliterated Darwin. Then we've hard bigger ones then Tracey and yes there was damage but not on the same scale. Its pure luck.

Rendog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ABC as usual has the best coverage, wathcing it now and it's horrible. best of luck to all

aidz44

Likes Dirt
just went for a walk up the street. fairly windy and a bit of rain, but only 1 tree down that I can see. (I dont know how the palm trees do it)

getting harder as I write.

EDIT: Just lost power for 5 mins. I think that's a sign for me to get some sleep.
wake me when its over.

Last edited:

aidz44

Likes Dirt

thanks for that Purt.
The damage isn't really that bad. at least in Townsville.
trees and fences down everywhere. One neighbor has major roof damage, but that's about it.
just waiting for the media (Kochie) to talk it up and go find another story.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have to say, Cairns got unbelievably lucky on this one. Feel very sorry for anyone south of Innisfail that's been hit truly hard by this sucker.

Also, fuck I hate commercial media. Reminded me why I havn't had an arial in my tv for 18 months. And things like that picture comparing Tracy, Larry, Yasi and Katrina make me sick. Was asif they're trying to make Yasi look like its going to be bigger than Katrina, before then saying "yo, Katrina killed nearly 2000 people" - and because most people don't understand that was due to the area it hit being a whole nother ball game to us, and therefore causing an unbelievable storm surge that did so, they probably start freaking out thinking oh no everyone's gonna die.

*Sigh*

On a good note I think the government did well here, clearly preparation really was the key!

Guess we just have to start waiting for all the people to claim the $1000 due to the palm from in their back yard, ay.

Yep looks like it's going to be a big one Alec, I'm just cleaning up the shop and then off home to sit it out. Going to be a big clean up afterwards, the trails are going to cop it again sadly. Keep your heads down cairns folk!

Got a photog job for you in a few weeks as well if your keen, I will hit you up next week when things calm down.
Sweet! Sounds good my man!

Last edited:

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cairns did get lucky..

Alot of areas dont have power ATM..who knows for how long ?

Hopefully all the regions without power get re-connected quickly. Realistically, probably not though .

Thankfully, my family and I made the decision to leave our house and stay at a mates place. He didnt loose power, and ,as a resuly, will have a few extra bodies in his house for a couple of days ! Lucky we bought supplies !

bills pictures 310.jpg

Although some have said that there is too much coca cola !

Stay safe everyone

A friend has posted some short vids on utube showing the winds from the back patio through the arvo and into the night.
Type in ''RichardHarm'' and have a look.
This is not spam !:eek:

biggles

Squid
i thought this one was gay, larry was way tougher, as far as it felt here in cairns. now getting smashed by the after storm, serious rain. my heart goes out to innisfail, 2 in a row.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Plus running a 24hr coverage in places like Townsville, Cairns, Innesvale (SP) and the likes is a little dangerous. The companies/shows would not be allowed to have reporters in places that they know they might loose their lives. I am sure when it all passes there will be plenty of coverage.

Thoughts are with the people of Northern Queensland, hope it is not as bad as it is predicted. :(
Chanel 7 seemed to have most places covered with pretty much 24hr coverage last night. I was surprised actually. I was just thinking to myself, I really hope these people are getting paid a shitload to be there and go through that!

I'm glad the cyclone wasn't as bad as people thought it would be for the most part.

chris95

Likes Dirt
I live in townsville and we didnt get hit that badly but still enough for most the citys power to still be out, pleanty of tree's and fences down and the water treatment plant to fail:confused:, i feel for those a little bit further north

indica

Serial flasher
So how are the tracks?
I must say the media made it sound like you were all going to die.
I was there for Larry - similar intensity but way smaller - and I cannot remember this level of hype / shite.
Spoke to The Chenz a few hours ago and have a sister in law in Cairns and neither were too worried.

Glad all worked out ok.
Alec / Yowie were you scared due to the media do you think?

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out yesterday to check the trails and they are predictably smashed. Trees down everywhere. Will take weeks to clear them, with some serious hours on the chainsaw. Thankfully all the bridges are intact.
Very surreal to see the hill with most of the leaves stripped from the trees. The hill looks bald???

Thanking our lucky stars that is the biggest of our problems. Our power is still out, but none of our houses were damaged too bad.

Attachments

It was a pretty wild night. Townsville was very lucky. The town only really recieved fallen trees, & busted power lines. People are still without power, but honestly I think that is nothing compared to Cardwell & Mission Beach.

There are a few buildings around that have damages roofs, but over all no major damage is done to majority of the buildings.

I guess there is a few people that can tick something off their bucket list

Cat 5 cyclone, DONE...

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out and helped clear the DH track today from fallen trees and debree.

Got a nasty surprise when I almost stepped on a fallen high voltage power line. :eek:

For anyone in Townsville, do not ride the bottom section until Ergon have repaired the line.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Glad all worked out ok.
Alec / Yowie were you scared due to the media do you think?
TBH, I didn't actually look at it in the media until it was hitting on Thursday night, and I could only watch for around half an hour before I got annoyed. Commercial media makes me angry as hell casue it's so full of shit. I was only scared because I watched it since it was forming on Saturday morning, and have a minor fascination with weather events/natural disaster type things. So I knew the potential it had to tear shit up in the instance it struck over Cairns.

indica

Serial flasher
So I knew the potential it had to tear shit up in the instance it struck over Cairns.
I was there for Larry and working in Palm Cove at the time - that was heading directly for Cairns too at one stage but there was no media hype. Larry swung south too as did Yasi (obviously). But from the images Yasi was a big fucker...
Glad all is well, unfortunately it's gonna happen one day though...

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Flying up today for a week to help out with the clean up and shit with SES. I dont suppose anyone has Mojitos by the pool ready for me?:confused: