What does your day look like?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Takes a while to get settled in a new job, impressing in the probationary period, no time off and extra effort. It will come back.
It's the car thing. No reason to get the bike out to go to work. And I am the one and only field tech in the country, hence why I'm in Queensland. And we are just starting to upgrade the rest of the farms locally. And there's a trip to Tasmania coming up in June/July.

But I'm really enjoying it. Bit of freedom to do what I want so long as the work gets done, bit of freedom to do some extra work and earn some extra cash. Paid to drive to and from the farms. Paid to travel to see places I never thought I would.

And for the past month, until this week, I had been consistently on the trainer three time a week, about to up it to four. And we race in two weeks!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
Don't know if it's allowed *ADMIN* please delete if inappropriate.

My heart breaks for this dog. I bath three of this extended family's dogs in my line of work, they've been fostering Jett for ages and he just needs a permanent home. There's definitely Heeler in the mix, probably Kelpie too, he's a tallish (head hip height on me at 162cm) rangy dog, full of energy, and looking for a job to do. He'd make a brilliant trail dog for a mountain biker. Fostered thru Doggy Moggy Rescue-Coffs Branch and currently $350 take home price, desexed and fully vaxxed. https://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/942772

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I buy my meat in bulk from a family butcher but honestly I'm renting and time-poor so greens and veg come from my local IGA, it's more expensive than Coles/Woolies but that's my i think I'm helping ego tax. We don't eat much processed stuff so there's that.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
But I'm really enjoying it. Bit of freedom to do what I want so long as the work gets done, bit of freedom to do some extra work and earn some extra cash. Paid to drive to and from the farms. Paid to travel to see places I never thought I would.
Good to hear you are enjoying it.

My last job was similar with travel Australia wide pretty much every week (I'd be lucky to be in the office for half a week out of every 2-3 months). Enjoyed it for the same reasons; paid to see parts of Australia I wouldn't have otherwise seen, plenty of OT, basically your own boss. 90% of the time enjoyed the job.

At tax time I had to count the number of nights away from home. One particular year it was easier to count the number of nights I spent at home which was 43.

Was in that job for 4.5 yrs but the last year or so was more 40-50% enjoyment.

Hence I've now been back to a workshop based role for the last 5.5 years now. The jokes on me though because in the last year I've seen the site work visits go from none in 4 yrs to every couple of months now, although that's still a long way off 322 nights away from home but it is ramping up.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Good to hear you are enjoying it.

My last job was similar with travel Australia wide pretty much every week (I'd be lucky to be in the office for half a week out of every 2-3 months). Enjoyed it for the same reasons; paid to see parts of Australia I wouldn't have otherwise seen, plenty of OT, basically your own boss. 90% of the time enjoyed the job.

At tax time I had to count the number of nights away from home. One particular year it was easier to count the number of nights I spent at home which was 43.

Was in that job for 4.5 yrs but the last year or so was more 40-50% enjoyment.

Hence I've now been back to a workshop based role for the last 5.5 years now. The jokes on me though because in the last year I've seen the site work visits go from none in 4 yrs to every couple of months now, although that's still a long way off 322 nights away from home but it is ramping up.
Still a reasonable trade-off for after-hours access to machines though. ;) (For now at least...)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
Still a reasonable trade-off for after-hours access to machines though. ;) (For now at least...)
That's what I keep telling myself.

Work is lucky I've been dragging my heels with regards to setting up my shed with my little mill and a little lathe.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Mmmm per diemsssss
Yeah as long as the corporate overlords decide to pay the full per diem rate.

My last employer, it was a fruitless argument. Flat $65 per day for all employees below regional manager, company picked up the hotel, hire car and flights, but all food was to come out of that $65. I was forever fighting for my guys to get a per diem increase. Their issue was not wanting to charge customers the full rate. Our largest client went out of their way to make sure a fair and reasonable per diem was paid, with a “miscellaneous hardware and incidentals” line on the PO. I was hauled into head office and read the riot act when it was discovered in the second year of operation.

Lost count of the number of times I’d sent the ATO’s per diem schedule to HO each time it was revised, with a “please explain” email, asking them to please point out the last time the ATO had been generous.