What does your day look like?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Had to pick up some AN fittings for #1 to fix (again) the pooey. While I was waiting a rep for a known supplier was having an absolute download to anyone who would listen about how shit the USA is and that Trump won the election and that Biden is raping the country and that he can only hope Trump wins again so that he can undo the mess Biden has made. Also Biden should be impeached and in gaol and is corrupt. It wasn't my carcass to poke so I left it all alone. I did ask the owner what brought that on and he simply said he has no interest in it and the guy takes his silence as being like minded. Ah ok.

safreek

Had to pick up some AN fittings for #1 to fix (again) the pooey. While I was waiting a rep for a known supplier was having an absolute download to anyone who would listen about how shit the USA is and that Trump won the election and that Biden is raping the country and that he can only hope Trump wins again so that he can undo the mess Biden has made. Also Biden should be impeached and in gaol and is corrupt. It wasn't my carcass to poke so I left it all alone. I did ask the owner what brought that on and he simply said he has no interest in it and the guy takes his silence as being like minded. Ah ok.
Finally came across a sensible American. These days they are few and far between ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Rode them last night under lights, not a bad effort but I'm still hanging for some Bare Creek style jumps running next to Seismic down down to under the cliff.
Damn right. Knowing the build team, it's not like they don't have the talent!

3rd jump in current format has a very large amount of pop! But dissapointing to see 4 and 5 are now just pimples.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My 05 era Backman Crayon gets a lot of comments on the slopes...

It is impressive to see equipment with such longevity. I think the snowboard industry has better planned obsolescence than the bike industry, except they don't change standards as frequently.

One of my boards delaminated along the mid section in a way I hadn't seen before. Fortunately it was covered by warranty.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m thinking about heading up to the snow this year after many years off.
For all you snow regulars, have boards changed much in the last decade? I’ve got an old Burton thing hanging in the shed but if the tech has moved on it might not be worth it. Am I trying to take a hardtail to Rampage?

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
For all you snow regulars, have boards changed much in the last decade? I’ve got an old Burton thing hanging in the shed but if the tech has moved on it might not be worth it. Am I trying to take a hardtail to Rampage?
Yes, much change in flex patterns. Once apon a time, everything was camber, now there are all sorts of variations, some may suit, others will suck.
some will help with icy conditions (camber, and to a lesser extent, the various wavy edge techs) and others may kill you (eg full rocker on libtech skate banana - POS do not buy)

What Burton board is it? what model year?

is it one with the channel thing for the bindings, or does it have bolt holes? I think all modern Burton boards have the channels.

If the plastic on your bindings is chalky white, or has chalky whiteish patches, Bin them. the plastic is fkd.

If the board has been in the shed with no wax on the base, it's probably fkd too. pics would be handy of where the bindings attach, and showing the condition of the base and edges.

Also, it is possible that your boots are thrashed and binnable. Do they have the heat-mouldable liners? (inner boot)
Bin the stock footbeds, they are useless. Get Remind or Shredsoles. I have multiple pairs of Remind Cush. frikken awesome for street shoes and hiking boots as well. Remind brand insoles seem way easier to find in Oz or even on eBay

Paging @pink poodle

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers. Trying to remember just how long it’s been since I went up.
It’s a Burton Uninc, not sure what year but I remember the channel mount came out just after. P1 bindings (I think) are looking solid other than a bit of dust. Andy Warhol boots have always been stored inside so they’re tip top.
All from the same era so maybe the hire kit is a better option

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Cheers. Trying to remember just how long it’s been since I went up.
It’s a Burton Uninc, not sure what year but I remember the channel mount came out just after. P1 bindings (I think) are looking solid other than a bit of dust. Andy Warhol boots have always been stored inside so they’re tip top.
All from the same era so maybe the hire kit is a better option
pics of top sheet and base plz.

From what you are saying the bindings may use an old drill hole pattern. EST (channel) & 2 x 4 are the current ones.
If your board, bindings and boots are ok, then they will probably be better than rental gear. Do you really want to put your feet where multiple random sweaty feral feet have been?
hire board/bindings esp demo boards / premium if you want to try a few modern boards to get a feel for what's current.
The standard rental boards at a given shop will be clapped out, most likely.

All about binding hole patterns...
(the article is from 2013 - no-one does burton's 3D pattern any more)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Check out NZ...Cornetto and unremarkable have some pretty big sales on lift passes until the end of the month. Depending on particulars of your holiday group and presences you may find a better deal and possibly even better snow in Queenstown. That said I have spent a bit more than the last decade professing I would never board in NZ again...money can be quite influential!

Better still saw your coins for summer and come to Japan. You won't regret that.

As for your actual question - yes boards have changed heaps in the last 10 years, even in the last 5. I am a total sell out for the short and wide volume shifted evolution. All the boards in this style that I have owned and ridden have been awesome fun. But if the board + bindings you have put a smile on your face last time you used them they will probably put a smile on your face this time. If you are in Australia or NZ the snow quality is so poor and patchy that you may not want to risk the base on a new board to the rocks anyway. I know I wouldn't! In 2021 I purchased a used board to thrash rather than use any of my usual boards.

This season I split one of my boards early on. I had left a board over there in 2019 and it had move around a few friend's houses and been rescued from a collapsed garage in the very snowy 21/22 season, so I see it for a few days. Now this was a pretty fancy board when I got it new in 2015 and I had enjoyed a few seasons on it. It felt like I was using a fence post compared to the other boards I had with me.

FYI - lib Tech and gnu don't use a full rocker (haven't for years) they use a multi camber. I've had a few and thought it sucked, like the nose always wanted to dive in powder. On of my friends owns one of them (gnu dirty pillow) and loves it. And full rocker is awesome fun!