What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
You may also find that the wood will compress slightly with use, ovalising the clamp notches so they won't clamp up properly, so you'll need to take a bit more off after a while.

oldcorollas

Levin the moment
Yep. All those thoughts were going through my head while using it actually. It’s not perfect but for a few jobs here and there it gets the job done. I
I 3Dprinted out of PLA ( CoTFW...).. slippery as, of course..
found that thin leather (like footy boots, with shoe polish/resin) was much better for friction than inner tube...

the proper metal ones are juuust the right ID to clamp enough but not mark the shafts... and easier to use heat to soften loctite if req.... but not $300worth.. unless you did it for a job...

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
do the mudguards help much? (front or rear)
Not at all! I've used the front for a few years. It's ok to keep the odd puddle from making a mess, but the trails we rode were pretty damn soggy so nothing much would have helped. The rear mud guard I have only just added, and it didn't stand a chance against the great wettening.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
thanks! I shan't bother with them then :)
Probably the wrong name for them, should be a dust guard and they actually do a great job of keeping your tyres from throwing dust directly on to the seals.
I have bought the proper fitted one for my last few forks, Fox 38, SID, DVO came with one... saying that the SID one broke after a large stone got jammed under it, $50 crack off :rolleyes:

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Went to the KMBC social ride yesterday. First proper mtb ride since upgrading the bike with EX511’s and new SLX cranks.

Get there an hour early figuring I’ll get some k’s in on my own. Get bike off the rack, jump on, go to pop the seat up and the dropper lever pops. Turns out the cable had snapped at the actuator. Luckily there was enough free cable at the lever end to push some more through and get it going, but was a prick of a job to get it done.

Anyway, it’s now 20min before the ride so solo spin is out and I’m having a chat to some of the crew as they roll up. 10min before the ride I wander over to the ride coordinator and sign in before wandering back to the car to get the bike.

Have 10min to kill so figure l’ll do some laps of the parking area. Pop a nice little bunny hop at one point and crunch, one of crank arms spins around so it’s parallel with the other one. Fuck, forgot to tighten the two bolts back up when I replaced the bottom bracket. Rush around no one has the little tensioner bolt tool. Make do with jamming a set of pliers in there and get the tensioner bolt out, but the cranks won’t come off. Panicking now as everyone is about to take off. In desperation grab a pice of wood and pry the thing off using the downtube for leverage and a rock as an impromtu hammer. Thing pops off, I quickly put it back in position and tighten everything up and I just get onto the end of the intermediate group as they’re headed off.

Nice cruisy ride in the end; 23.6km and 523m vert.

Spent early part of the ride shitting myself as bad things always come in threes. Cleared that from my mind when I crashed on a sharp corner after the seatpost, not tightened enough earlier, spun at the wrong moment and threw my balance off.

Good to back in that sweet pea gravel at least.

IMG_0097-compressed.jpeg

Last edited:

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Went to the KMBC social ride yesterday. First proper mtb ride since upgrading the bike with EX511’s and new SLX cranks.

Get there an hour early figuring I’ll get some k’s in on my own. Get bike off the rack, jump on, go to pop the sear up and the dropper lever pops. Turns out the cable had snapped at the actuator. Luckily there was enough free cable at the lever end to push some more through and get it going, but was a prick of a job to get it done.

Anyway, it’s now 20min before the ride so solo spin is out and I’m having a chat to some of the crew as they roll up. 10min before the ride I wander over to the ride coordinator and sign in before wandering back to the car to get the bike.

Have 10min to kill so figure l’ll do some laps of the parking area. Pop a nice little bunny hop at one point and crunch, one of crank arms spins around so it’s parallel with the other one. Fuck, forgot to tighten the two bolts back up when I replaced the bottom bracket. Rush around no one has the little tensioner bolt tool. Make do with jamming a set of pliers in there and get the tensioner bolt out, but the cranks won’t come off. Panicking now as everyone is about to take off. In desperation grab a pice of wood and pry the thing off using the downtube for leverage and a rock as an impromtu hammer. Thing pops off, I quickly put it back in position and tighten everything up and I just get onto the end of the intermediate group as they’re headed off.

Nice cruisy ride in the end; 23.6km and 523m vert.

Spent early part of the ride shitting myself as bad things always come in threes. Cleared that from my mind when I crashed on a sharp corner after the seatpost, not tightened enough earlier, spun at the wrong moment and threw my balance off.

Good to back in that sweet pea gravel at least.

View attachment 404984
Quite the adventure! Kudos for the determination. :)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I don't reckon there's anyone else on this forum that could have got the three in as quick as you @ashes_mtb ;)

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a proper ride yesterday in some proper hills. Shuttle was booked well before the incessant rain last week so we were still going. Last minute I pulled the old knee pads out which I haven’t used in years expecting a whole lotta slick. Was pleasantly surprised by the grip in the steeps and was hanging on to the back wheel of “the fast guy” in the end. Awesome day out at Lake Mountain on my second visit.

IMG_2352.jpeg

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Up early thanks to the 5yr old so decided to ride to a station further away (~15km) on my billion dollar baby. Still arrived 20min early for first train of the day…

Still knackered from Sundays ride and footy last night so couldn’t be stuffed going for an extended spin to kill time.

IMG_0114-compressed.jpeg

Also ordered a new drivetrain, wheels, bars and brakes for this. It was virtually brand new but that doesn’t mean upgrades aren’t completely necessary.

Last edited: