What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Stick with the "clothesline" cables, shifting is heaps better. Aero difference vs hidden cables is .001% of fuck-all.
Good to know, that saves wasting money on something I don’t need! The clothesline is going to be less obvious once I’ve got flared bars on and toe them in a little.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Rode Buller. Conditions were surprisingly not too bad considering the 20mm+ hosing it got the night before, and some of the back country scree surfing got really fun once you just accepted you had very limited control and the bike just needed space to explore concepts. Thank f*** for good suspension.
That Ibis is still such a good looking bike. Great colour combo.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I hate myself for it, but I’ve missed the flat bar roadie for commuting so I’ve been on the lookout for another cheap roadie to convert for about a week.

Fuck all in my size on FB but spotted an ad on Gumtree for an “XL Giant road bike” for $120. Description said “well used and needs a good service to bring it back to its former glory”. Photo was grainy as, so I could tell was that it had a Giant logo and did appear to he a decent size.

No mobile number with the ad so took a bit of painful back and forwards over the interwebs to organise for me to look at it. Owner said nothing was broken but badly needed a service, tires were shot etc.

Old guy that owns it said he had a bunch of messages and six no shows and I was the first to actually turn up to view.

Their loss as it turned out to be a sweet, virtually unused 2015 Giant Defy with 2x10 Tiagra groupset, with reflectors, warning stickers and the little vent spews still on the tyres.

View attachment 404794

Owner still had the purchase receipt or I would have been worried. As for the need for a service to bring it back to its former glory, I had to pump the tyres up. Gears and brakes were perfectly adjusted.

Given how fresh it is I might keep it as is for a while before I flat bar it.
Wow, great score!! Giant alloy frames are extremely good, and the Defy geometry is comfy and fast.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Wow, great score!! Giant alloy frames are extremely good, and the Defy geometry is comfy and fast.
I have zero idea about roadie geometry really, but it felt pretty comfortable. Did 28km on it today and it felt quick. Wasn’t really pushing but still had a couple of PB’s. Looking forward to getting a set of gravel bars, better brakes and some decent 28’s on it and see how it goes then.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Discovered just what happens when one loses a cleat screw at what was meant to be the start of my ride today.
Stopped for a second at the trail head, went to put my foot down and both myself and the bike followed it.
Brushed it off, clipped the foot back in and thought to myself 'that's weird, haven't done that in years'. Thought it sensible to at least check before I continue my ride with slightly less skin than before. Tried to unclip again, this time without weight on that foot and discovered I could get my foot almost to 90 degrees without releasing. Had to take my shoe off and then try and unclip it.
Ride abandoned after some effort in attempting to locate said cleat screw.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Discovered just what happens when one loses a cleat screw at what was meant to be the start of my ride today.
Stopped for a second at the trail head, went to put my foot down and both myself and the bike followed it.
Brushed it off, clipped the foot back in and thought to myself 'that's weird, haven't done that in years'. Thought it sensible to at least check before I continue my ride with slightly less skin than before. Tried to unclip again, this time without weight on that foot and discovered I could get my foot almost to 90 degrees without releasing. Had to take my shoe off and then try and unclip it.
Ride abandoned after some effort in attempting to locate said cleat screw.
Cleat bolts are the same thread as bottle mounts so use one to secure you bottle cage and you have an emergency spare if you need it. They also work as brake rotor bolts in an pinch.

zac

Likes Dirt
Does thinking about it count? I'm too fat to ride the 6 at the moment in 170mm mode with a 170 fork, but am curious if dropping the travel to 140 with a 130 fork would mean less pressure on the shock and a more appropriate amount of sag (ATM it's closer to 45% than 30). It does mean I'd have to get off my arse and swap the springs in the dj1 but if it means I can ride the dually sooner then maybe I should.

I also didn't treat it to a Bomber CR - just couldn't stretch to it this time of year which sucks, but hoping it might go on sale again for Boxing day...

Haakon

Still doing the commute to work thing. Today it was a retiree piloted white Prado being an agro cock.

It’s always a 4WD/suv :rolleyes:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Still doing the commute to work thing. Today it was a retiree piloted white Prado being an agro cock.

It’s always a 4WD/suv :rolleyes:
And it's always Haakon. Coincidence or a cry for anger management group therapy?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

And it's always Haakon. Coincidence or a cry for anger management group therapy?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
Me no angry :) Was just tootling along dreaming of coffee…

Was merely making a statistical observation :)

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
After finding out the socket I machined flat for my Fox 40s fouls on the CSU casting of the Z1's (and removes the black coating, doh!), I machined a bit more off the OD at work so it clears the casting.

Compress_20231201_152550_0316.jpg

FUN FACT: That's "charcoal" Dulux hammer finish spray paint that it's coated in, then once properly cured it has been torched (literally) with a small brazing torch to really bake the paint on. Doesn't scratch off and barely chips.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Carrying an injury atm so no riding for me for a bit so decide to install a custom shim kit I have into my Mezzer damper. It needs a shaft clamp block. I’d looked on Shockcraft website and he wants $350 nzd for a machined bit of alloy. Yeah nah fuck that.
nek minnit, a few wood chips I have my own bespoke boutique custom made shaft clamp.
$350 nzd. Takin the piss!
IMG_0249.jpeg