What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Those Galfer rotors and pads are very worthwhile. How are you getting on with them?
Excellent so far. I had some Uberbike racematrix pads in there and they aren’t getting along with the new rotors and making a bit of noise so will get some new pads but the rotors feel nice and solid. Feels like there’s just a tad more bite.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Yesterday now… but took a 67 year old rail trail riding mate on his Giant Talon for his first spin on single track. It was less than knarly on purpose, although he still managed to bin it a few times in low speed slo mo style. In the decent heading back to the car, gave him a go on the Process. Anyway, he had a blast, and will keep his eye out for single track

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yep, think I was near Heidelberg when I took that.

Didn't seem much point loading up for a drive out to a mudfest given the rain over Easter and I'm lucky that the YTs are rideable from my place.
I might drive to the YT’s every few years if I’m in the mood for single track but I would have killed to have it local during the Covid lockdowns. There’s definitely some fun stuff hidden here and there if you know where to look. But they are great for a nice long extended single track explore.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
I might drive to the YT’s every few years if I’m in the mood for single track but I would have killed to have it local during the Covid lockdowns. There’s definitely some fun stuff hidden here and there if you know where to look. But they are great for a nice long extended single track explore.
Definitely, I lived in Bulleen and then Templestowe over a few years and there is some pretty fun stuff to be found all over the place along the Yarra.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Yeah I was really lucky to have the YTs close during the lockdowns. Even within 5km there were several laps I could do with some decent (if short) elevation, and some good spots to faff with test suspension set ups etc.

There is a 50km+ loop I can do from my place to Candlebark which is good fun, nearly all singletrack too if I don't flake and shortcut the Main Yarra Trail on the way back.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I was really lucky to have the YTs close during the lockdowns. Even within 5km there were several laps I could do with some decent (if short) elevation, and some good spots to faff with test suspension set ups etc.

There is a 50km+ loop I can do from my place to Candlebark which is good fun, nearly all singletrack too if I don't flake and shortcut the Main Yarra Trail on the way back.
Got a map? I seem to miss most of the single track on the few times i ride the YT

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Got a map? I seem to miss most of the single track on the few times i ride the YT
I'm on the work computer so the only things I have access to are Google map screenshots and Microsoft paint.

Seriously though, it definitely helps to have a guide for some parts as there are some dead spots where there's not much around. Whereabouts are you? I've found a lot via trial and error.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm on the work computer so the only things I have access to are Google map screenshots and Microsoft paint.

Seriously though, it definitely helps to have a guide for some parts as there are some dead spots where there's not much around. Whereabouts are you? I've found a lot via trial and error.
I'm in Parkville (near Melb Zoo) so can head out and pick up the YT from Studley Park pretty easily (once I get through all the road crossings to get there).
Did used to live in Viewbank many years back and rode between Banyule Flats and Westerfolds a lot as a younin'

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm in Parkville (near Melb Zoo) so can head out and pick up the YT from Studley Park pretty easily (once I get through all the road crossings to get there).
Did used to live in Viewbank many years back and rode between Banyule Flats and Westerfolds a lot as a younin'
You could ride straight along the Park St bike path almost straight to Fairfield boat house.
Cross the pipe bridge and through the little gate, loop under the bridge to head upstream or left to go downstream. Up gets you more distance, down gets more elevation. Downstream handles the rain better too.
Simplistically, all the ST runs off the side of the myt and can be found by keeping an eye out, linking it all up takes a bit of time to suss. There’s some great stuff off the beaten track a bit and I still find new to me sections.
I’m out there a lot, pinching what time I can between parenting stuff, happy to show you some of the fun stuff if we can work out timing.

cammas

Seamstress
So after someone on here mentioned the Chain Reaction sale, I grabbed one of the externally routed droppers for the commuter, at $85 why not. My gravel burner only has internal routing on the down tube then externally up the seat tube for the dropper, I would say its actually for a front derailleur.

Anyway I have installed the dropper, I had seen someone use the original lever on drop bars but I wasn’t keen on grinding it to fit, so I grabbed a Giant OEM one for $45 and it’s a nice neat fit tucked down next to lever, hopefully this will help with the stop start of the commute.
Edit: I also fitted some 46cm Walmer bars as the original ones felt tiny and after chatting to my mate at Curve he and Jesse both steered me away from the 50cm or wider, they seem to be right tonight’s driveway test felt good, a longer ride maybe tomorrow should tell me if they were correct.

141525ED-384B-402B-91AA-FEED712037F1.jpeg
CFB775E1-D1EA-4FD3-B227-FF67BF12E000.jpeg
FCF51C22-1A17-43B3-BFC9-F2434EECC7A9.jpeg

Last edited: