What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
If you found a massive improvement from reducing the top out bumper size, find a dual air piston assembly, swap the damper and air spring sides around (to avoid the solo air equalisation notch), and enjoy the benefits. Dual air is superior. Especially if it’s a 100mm fork and you find a 120mm dual air spring assembly.

only works in RS forks pre 2017ish, from somewhere around 2017 the damper sides stanchion isn’t polished before anodising to save 45 cents.

Dual air was retired because the average punter couldn’t work it out successfully.
The Epic that I was lent had dual air. I didn't have it long enough to really know what I was doing so I didn't get to explore the possibilities, but I do wish I had it now. I have never needed to look at the damper leg surface treatment, but mine is a 2018 fork, so im probably out of luck. I'm guessing I would also need an air valve in the lower leg?

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
If you found a massive improvement from reducing the top out bumper size, find a dual air piston assembly, swap the damper and air spring sides around (to avoid the solo air equalisation notch), and enjoy the benefits. Dual air is superior. Especially if it’s a 100mm fork and you find a 120mm dual air spring assembly.

only works in RS forks pre 2017ish, from somewhere around 2017 the damper sides stanchion isn’t polished before anodising to save 45 cents.

Dual air was retired because the average punter couldn’t work it out successfully.
There has been some guys on a mtbr forum experimenting with a schrader valve as the bottom bolt of the air shaft and spacing the piston up to bypass the dimple.

Interesting stuff

Cardy George

There has been some guys on a mtbr forum experimenting with a schrader valve as the bottom bolt of the air shaft and spacing the piston up to bypass the dimple.

Interesting stuff
There is a Schrader valve already in the piston shaft, right where the bolt threads in, but I haven't looked to see if there's an outlet near the top. Would only need a small hole in the shaft to let the air thru, a bolt that doubles as a valve extension and something to fill the dimple.

link1896

Mr Greenfield

Interesting stuff
Simon Duong , SD Suspension, I believe pioneered this idea around 2016ish, RS' solo air piston rods have a valve core integrated into its base for dealing with stuck down forks. Removing the core, adding a foot bolt that has has a Schrader valve incorporated into it works too. sealing the equalisation notch with RTV assists too if keeping the existing piston rod.

sdcomponents.com.au is gone. Simon sold the IP, I wasn't at the time able to make the purchase work.

The National Library archives all .com.au, their service is currently down.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
None for mine as usual.

We have a double header National Cup XC weekend at Eagle MTB park this weekend, 2 National cup races with competitors from what looks like every state in Aus apart from WA.
Saturday is a techy course that has regular XC people walking sections, a few seriously rocky sections of Eagles DH track, the Mixer in there, also the infamous Sunset Boulevard.

Just spent ~4hrs on bikes and race related stuff.

New tyre and rotate on his enduro (bloody Der Kaisers are tight as %#&@)
BB clean and grease.
Tune rear hub clean and grease.
New chain.
New stans and valves.
New rear 160mm rotor and spacer (was 140mm)
Time Atac pedal replacement on RHS.
New cleats on race shoes.
Bike rack fitted to the car.
Bonus points: Tidied the garage after the carnage.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Not everything has to be a flow trail.
So glad someone else feels this way. Thought it was just me.
I like a bit of flow here and there but part of the beauty of Mt Buller was the natural trails like misty mixed with the other machine built trails.
I was disappointed to find they had run a machine over EVERYTHING.

EDIT: oh, and I hired a Banshee spitfire and rode it on the trails at Tewantin on the Sunshine Coast today. Was very fun.

Cardy George

Sorry, I was in a course.

From this post onwards...

Legend. That's a rabbit hole I'll be happy to dive into. I have slightly different hardware which might actually make it easier. Will have to look into a new airshaft first.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The Epic that I was lent had dual air. I didn't have it long enough to really know what I was doing so I didn't get to explore the possibilities, but I do wish I had it now. I have never needed to look at the damper leg surface treatment, but mine is a 2018 fork, so im probably out of luck. I'm guessing I would also need an air valve in the lower leg?
My spare bike has a dual-air fork. I found that running the neg pressure just a touch higher than the pos really improves the top-stroke suppleness 'cos it gives the fork a little nudge into compression. Careful not to go too overboard with it though, or you will lose too much travel, and it'll get very squishy too.

moorey

call me Mia
My spare bike has a dual-air fork. I found that running the neg pressure just a touch higher than the pos really improves the top-stroke suppleness 'cos it gives the fork a little nudge into compression. Careful not to go too overboard with it though, or you will lose too much travel, and it'll get very squishy too.
I always used dual air for the kids when they were younger. A 120mm fork with a little extra negative air sat just into its travel, and was plush AF for lighter riders.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I always used dual air for the kids when they were younger. A 120mm fork with a little extra negative air sat just into its travel, and was plush AF for lighter riders.
Dual air does work very well once you get the pressures nailed. I can see why solo air has won though as dual air pressure is easy to get wrong.