What did you do TO / WITH / FOR your bike today!

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I read you should use those gloves too so bought a box of 100 as I get oily and dirty a lot - still 98 in the box and that was 5 hrs ago - I forget every time until I see them on the shelf again lol
I have dermatitis so gloves are a must. I hate latex ones and nitrile are better rated for a lot of chemicals anyway.

moorey

call me Mia
I read you should use those gloves too so bought a box of 100 as I get oily and dirty a lot - still 98 in the box and that was 5 hrs ago - I forget every time until I see them on the shelf again lol
Used 2 in 5hrs? Shooda bought more.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Thought I'd better check Mr Canary's linkage bearings as he's been complaining of creaking/cracking noises when the shock goes through it's travel. Then I got carried away and removed them. Now I have to wait for replacement bearings. The bearings were pretty knackered (and it's not the shock as that was serviced not too long ago)

I took more photos than this, so I remember where everything goes and in what orientation.
View attachment 384673View attachment 384675View attachment 384674
Those bearings look thoroughly munted!

Labcanary

Those bearings look thoroughly munted!
That is the lower linkage. They were pretty foul. It's from a 2014 SC Solo/5010 and has the sealed outer side, open inside bearings. It had a shit tonne of grease in there but almost as much pulverised dirt too. It wasn't in the best condition when he bought it but I was a bit slack in getting onto this task.

Labcanary

Do you have the replacement bearings and extractors etc?
I've ordered the bearings from MTB direct. If they turn out to be incorrect because I mis-read the listing then I'll go to my local bearing shop as I know which ones to get now (I kept the old ones JIC)
I used a blind bearing puller and slide hammer to remove them and I've got a bearing press kit that happens to have the correct size bushes.
(Edit: the bearing press kit is from Ali express and I haven't tested it yet. I'll pop up a review in that thread once I've used it)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I've ordered the bearings from MTB direct. If they turn out to be incorrect because I mis-read the listing then I'll go to my local bearing shop as I know which ones to get now (I kept the old ones JIC)
I used a blind bearing puller and slide hammer to remove them and I've got a bearing press kit that happens to have the correct size bushes.
(Edit: the bearing press kit is from Ali express and I haven't tested it yet. I'll pop up a review in that thread once I've used it)
Full complement bearings are a must for linkage duty, full compliment is as full as possible with balls that touch each other, there is no cage to separate the balls. Full compliment does not like rotating as used in hubs/pedals/bb, but has a much higher static load ideal for linkages that do at best 120 degrees of rotation.

Often close to impossible to buy full complement bearings from the likes of nsk/ntn/fag/timken in bike linkage sizes.

Many bike manufacturers cheap out and use standard caged bearings. Looking at you Specialized.

Duncan at Diymtb is also an Enduro stockist. And Duncan is mighty helpful.

Labcanary

Full complement bearings are a must for linkage duty, full compliment is as full as possible with balls that touch each other, there is no cage to separate the balls. Full compliment does not like rotating as used in hubs/pedals/bb, but has a much higher static load ideal for linkages that do at best 120 degrees of rotation.

Often close to impossible to buy full complement bearings from the likes of nsk/ntn/fag/timken in bike linkage sizes.

Many bike manufacturers cheap out and use standard caged bearings. Looking at you Specialized.

Duncan at Diymtb is also an Enduro stockist. And Duncan is mighty helpful.
I've ordered these in 'Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 - 5010' flavour. I didn't think of DIY MTB, I'll have to remember for next time, cheers.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fitted a few goodies to the Ripmo AF :D having finished with FIFO this week I want to get back into riding regularly, when I got home the other day a 50mm Copperhead stem bought from Isaakk was waiting in a parcel for me so I got motivated to fit the OneUp bars I've had sitting there for several months, and recently arrived OneUp chain guide and mini EDC tool.
Had to get rid of 17mm excess steerer I'd erred that much on the too long side. Have 15mm of spacers to play with still.

EDIT - pics added

Next thing is a decent dropper lever, the KS lever feels horrible.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nephew (9) dropped in to ask why his bike was making a "terrible noise"? A few minutes manipulating the inexpensive cable disc brakes and that was fixed. Better lube this chain while we are at it. Hmmm that's loose. This is bent. This isn't in the right spot. That is crooked...

Bike is running a bit better now and he is joyfully ripping skids at the slightest opportunity.