What are my options besides commencal?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I guess a lot of that comes down to the individual rider. Are you a wheel destroyer? Despite being heavy and aggressive on trail my rims usual last a long time. But I don't often ride very rocky areas.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run nukeproof horizon 28h wheels on my current 27.5 enduro and they have been the best wheels ive ever used. All other wheels have been 32h, but these nukeproof have been just has stiff and perfectly true since purchase.
But the model i'm buying has 32h.
You’ll find that it depends more on the rim model and brand than the hole count for strength of alloy rims.

I have run plenty of heavy duty enduro rims both in 28 and 32 and there is negligible difference in strength, stiffness and longevity.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I guess a lot of that comes down to the individual rider. Are you a wheel destroyer? Despite being heavy and aggressive on trail my rims usual last a long time. But I don't often ride very rocky areas.
I wouldn't like my chances for a 28h wheel doing a lot of jumps, you might be able to get something custom built that can take a good hiding but as for the run of the mill wheels I say keep away.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hey guys, another question.

Which build would you pick? I've listed the differences in component spec. The Fox Build is $300 more but I dunno whether its worth it. I like how both the builds look. Brakes aren't a concern because i'll be chucking my Guide RE's on it. I'm not sure that I'll take advantage of a GX shifter and Cassette as I never really know when to shift anyway haha, and I'm not much of a climber, I just sorta roll my way up a hill.

I'm mainly concerned about the suspension builds. I cannot find much info on the DPX2 v the ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE RCT. Also any comparison between the Fox 36 with the FIT4 v ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC with the charger 2 dampener.

https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-am-29-essential-fox-sand-c2x27273958
SHOCK FOX PERFORMANCE DPX2, 230 x 60 mm, 3 positions lever, rebound
FORK FOX PERFORMANCE 36 FLOAT, 170 mm, solo air, boost / 1 volume spacer, FIT4 cartridge
BRAKES SHIMANO SLX, 200 mm / 200 mm
SHIFTERS SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12 speed
FRONT / REAR MECH SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12 speed
CASSETTE SRAM XG 1275, 10-50, 12 speed
SADDLE WTB SL8 RACE, 142 mm width, cromo rails

OR
https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-am-29-essential-2019-c2x26338152
SHOCK ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE RCT, 230 x 60 mm, 2 positions, compression, rebound. Bottomless Tokens: 1 / Internal Tune (Rebound/Compression): Light/Medium
FORK ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC, 170 mm, 15 mm axle, compression, rebound, boost. Bottomless Tokens: 2
BRAKES SRAM GUIDE T, 200 mm / 200 mm
SHIFTERS SRAM NX EAGLE, 1 x 12sp
FRONT / REAR MECH - / SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12sp
CASSETTE SRAM PG-1230, 11-50, 12sp
SADDLE RIDE ALPHA 278 mm, Cr-Mo rails

Anyway care to weigh in?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The fox build also has better brakes Cassette and shifter than the RS option. Probably other bonuses as well, but I'm just scanning what you printed. Fox will feel pretty sweet but you'll be servicing them a lot more frequently than the RS fork. Lyrics are a very nice fork as well.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Hey guys, another question.

Which build would you pick? I've listed the differences in component spec. The Fox Build is $300 more but I dunno whether its worth it. I like how both the builds look. Brakes aren't a concern because i'll be chucking my Guide RE's on it. I'm not sure that I'll take advantage of a GX shifter and Cassette as I never really know when to shift anyway haha, and I'm not much of a climber, I just sorta roll my way up a hill.

I'm mainly concerned about the suspension builds. I cannot find much info on the DPX2 v the ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE RCT. Also any comparison between the Fox 36 with the FIT4 v ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC with the charger 2 dampener.

https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-am-29-essential-fox-sand-c2x27273958
SHOCK FOX PERFORMANCE DPX2, 230 x 60 mm, 3 positions lever, rebound
FORK FOX PERFORMANCE 36 FLOAT, 170 mm, solo air, boost / 1 volume spacer, FIT4 cartridge
BRAKES SHIMANO SLX, 200 mm / 200 mm
SHIFTERS SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12 speed
FRONT / REAR MECH SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12 speed
CASSETTE SRAM XG 1275, 10-50, 12 speed
SADDLE WTB SL8 RACE, 142 mm width, cromo rails

OR
https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-am-29-essential-2019-c2x26338152
SHOCK ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE RCT, 230 x 60 mm, 2 positions, compression, rebound. Bottomless Tokens: 1 / Internal Tune (Rebound/Compression): Light/Medium
FORK ROCKSHOX LYRIK RC, 170 mm, 15 mm axle, compression, rebound, boost. Bottomless Tokens: 2
BRAKES SRAM GUIDE T, 200 mm / 200 mm
SHIFTERS SRAM NX EAGLE, 1 x 12sp
FRONT / REAR MECH - / SRAM GX EAGLE, 1 x 12sp
CASSETTE SRAM PG-1230, 11-50, 12sp
SADDLE RIDE ALPHA 278 mm, Cr-Mo rails

Anyway care to weigh in?
The Fox build for sure. The Super Deluxe is just a Monarch Plus in metric sizes, ie its pretty ordinary. The Dpx2 has the better architecture and more lsc control.

The Fox 36 is lighter, stiffer and you can get a rc2 top cap for the fit4.

Slx brakes are waaay better than Guides.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

gillyske

Likes Dirt
The Fox build for sure. The Super Deluxe is just a Monarch Plus in metric sizes, ie its pretty ordinary. The Dpx2 has the better architecture and more lsc control.

The Fox 36 is lighter, stiffer and you can get a rc2 top cap for the fit4.

Slx brakes are waaay better than Guides.

How about SLX v Guide RE though which is a guide R lever with a Code R caliper?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I’d go the fox one, the tanncolour is nice, and You’ll notice the shift quality of GX over NX.

Just pick a good service place for the fox stuff, don’t bother with sola.
Can’t comment on the new rockshox vs foc stuff as I’ve only got a 2017 RC2 and a 2015 pike to compare so it’s all different now

Reactions: Zaf

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I’d go the fox one, the tanncolour is nice, and You’ll notice the shift quality of GX over NX.

Just pick a good service place for the fox stuff, don’t bother with sola.
Can’t comment on the new rockshox vs foc stuff as I’ve only got a 2017 RC2 and a 2015 pike to compare so it’s all different now
What's sola?

Also I don't know if I can wait till Feb for them to be available haha. It's a whole month away!!

Would I be missing out on too much? Is 300 more a bargain for the fox build?

Oddjob

What's sola?

Also I don't know if I can wait till Feb for them to be available haha. It's a whole month away!!

Would I be missing out on too much? Is 300 more a bargain for the fox build?
Yes. The Super Deluxe is really bad.

Oddjob

@Oddjob What's wrong with the Super Delux?...exactly
Its essentially a metric rebadge of the Monarch Plus so has the same problems. Not enough lsc control. So its too sloppy fully open, not quite enough support in the trail setting and way too firm in climb. About the only things its good for is a donor body for an Avalanche hsb compression circuit.

The switch from lsc to hsc is not quick enough so you tend to get spiking as well.

The Dpx2 has 10 clicks of lsc adjustment and also has a twin tube design so it has a much smoother transition from lsc to hsc.

Oddjob

Fuck off, they completely redesigned the shimstack and removed redundant seals, they added the counter balance spring over the main shaft body, changed the bushing overlap within the shock, changed the negative chamber from a two piece to a one piece, went to a half inch shaft instead of a 10mm, the wall thickness of the main shaft is a 0.25mm thicker than the the Monarch Plus (which adds stiffness to over overcome the piston blow-by issues the Monarch plus had under high pressures due to the shaft deforming), polymer IFP, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Essentially the only thing they kept the same was the main piston head, with it's pre-loaded rebound stack. Everything else was revamped, the put a whole new rebound adjust in which is completely checked, spring spool valved, etc. It's even twin tubed in design ffs.

Anyway, lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Images chosen at random and irrelevant to text.
Yep and if Vorsprung and Mtb Suspension Centre call it a rebadged Monarch I'm happy to take their word for it. It also still has a 3 position lsc lever. So unless you have a dedicated suspension tech, like Sam Hill, none of the 3 settings are going to be spot on.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
I’ve used both the DPX2 and the Super Deluxe RCT in 230x60 on my Rallon. The Deluxe was massaged with Vorsprung magic.
The DPX2 was great, heaps of support, good bottom out resistance.
The Super Deluxe is just that little bit better at everything, noticeably so. Great small bump and more active than the Fox.
Very dependant on the linkage of the bike though. For example both these air shocks felt better than the Push 11.6 shock designed for the bike!