What are my options besides commencal?

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

I'm looking to purchase from a complete bike manufacturer who only uses aluminium to manufacture their frames, so no carbon top end models or the like in their model range.

I'm looking more towards the commencal clash: https://www.commencal-store.com.au/clash-essential-2019-c2x26304511 or
commencal meta am 29: https://www.commencal-store.com.au/meta-am-29-essential-2019-c2x26338156

I'm really keen to get something with modern geometry, >76 degree seat angle and <65 degree head angle. The Commencal Meta Seems to be the closest without annihilating my wallet (the gf will kill me if I spend more than $4k, the meta is already pushing it past my upper limit tbh).

Are there any other options out there? I'd love to be able to buy a Pole Machine or something super fancy but thats not realistic for my budget.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate wish I could help, I'm just curious what it matters if they have carbon top end models in their line up??? You are obviously looking at an Aluminium bike but why do they have to Alu exclusive??

gillyske

Likes Dirt
I didn't want to get into it in fear of coming off as preachy but its the environmental impact of carbon fibre (non recyclable etc) and if I can avoid supporting companies that use it I will try.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
CF can be repaired. Don't sweat CF from an environmental perspective.

Worry more about CO2 impact. Which is hard to determine. CO2 is by far the biggest issue we need to deal with these days.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
CF can be repaired. Don't sweat CF from an environmental perspective.

Worry more about CO2 impact. Which is hard to determine. CO2 is by far the biggest issue we need to deal with these days.
It can be repaired, that is true, but most will just go to landfill, esp if they are >5 years old etc.
Also having to consider what happens to the waste generated through manufacturing, all of the bike companies manufacture carbon in China and they just dump all that shit into our oceans.
It's too much for me, so I'm happy just to write it off until someone figures out how to actually recycle it.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
NS and Dartmoor come to mind beyond that you start getting into pricey boutique territory, Pole, Nicolai, Cotic, Guerrila Gravity etc.

The Commencals are sweet bikes though and great value for money.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Last, alutech, lemonade, foes, rose, musing, empire. Transition alloy patrols and scouts, patrol probably have something. I had a few Dartmoor wishes and had no issues over the last few years. Sanctions are dirt cheap from Monza..radon would be the other one.

Last edited:

Warp

Likes Dirt
Get a Nicolai. You know you want it.

Painstakingly handcrafted in Germany from aluminium and only aluminium forever and ever.
You can get the geometry you want in the colour you want.

Other than that, as Sethius mentioned, there are tons of options. Check Alutech.

dh1

Likes Dirt
Someone had already said Banshee and you should look into them for sure. They use no carbon fibre and I don’t think they will any time soon.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I didn't want to get into it in fear of coming off as preachy but its the environmental impact of carbon fibre (non recyclable etc) and if I can avoid supporting companies that use it I will try.
Not that I can add any further insight to what has already been offered above but don't worry about coming across as preachy... none of the rest of us do.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about a Craftworks ENR? Local company so slightly less carbon miles since it’s come to Aus direct from the manufacturer, plus supporting an Aussie business. With a 1.5deg angleset it’ll fit your headtube angle requirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good on you, this is awesome as things will only change when consumers change their behaviour and we will get better products for the masses that are better for the environment. The best option is to just ride what you have got. But if you must get a new bike then avoiding carbon only leads to some dam sexy bikes. The Coitic Rocket Max would be my pick.

I don't think Liteville or Pole have been mentioned. Pole is the only bike brand I know that have issued a statement along these lines.
I think production Privee is another.
The list is endless but how is the budget?

Warp

Likes Dirt
Good on you, this is awesome as things will only change when consumers change their behaviour and we will get better products for the masses that are better for the environment. The best option is to just ride what you have got. But if you must get a new bike then avoiding carbon only leads to some dam sexy bikes. The Coitic Rocket Max would be my pick.

I don't think Liteville or Pole have been mentioned. Pole is the only bike brand I know that have issued a statement along these lines.
I think production Privee is another.
The list is endless but how is the budget?
He opened the thread stating he doesn't have the budget for a Pole... and that he wanted aluminum.
So that rules out PP and Cotic.

Liteville indeed is another option not mentioned before. Not cheap, though.

And yeah, I made a ridiculous suggestion too. :D

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I thoroughly support your endeavour. As had been said, Banshee is a good choice here.

There is a group called EarthBall riders Foundation which they are part of, but it doesn’t seem more than a nice idea for now. Wish a few brands really pushed something like this.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He opened the thread stating he doesn't have the budget for a Pole... and that he wanted aluminum.
So that rules out PP and Cotic.

Liteville indeed is another option not mentioned before. Not cheap, though.

And yeah, I made a ridiculous suggestion too. :D
Ooooops! Who sticks to their budget anyway :cool:

Liteville’s 10 year transferable warranty has to keep a few bikes out of landfill.