Tightarse people - share your stories here

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Loaned an inlaw a car 'briefly'. Ended up being 9 months.
Car was returned with no rego, a $100 fine for parking it on the street unregistered, and a spun big-end bearing.

I had to get a permit to pick it up from THEIR place on the other side of town because they wouldn't and they also refused to pay the unrego fine. Let alone even offer to fix me up for the 9 months rego or help replace the blown motor.

By the time I got it back I was quite broke and couldn't afford to repair it so I had to sell it for a fraction of what I bought it for 9 and a bit months prior; I drove it a total of 35kms in my ownership, 15kms of which was getting it home from their house, 15kms getting it TO their house and 5kms was the drive home when I bought it.

Another...went to a friend's birthday dinner, it was made clear to all present how much it cost and that we were paying our own...Two people walked out directly after dessert and before coffees, neither paid, it ended up hitting the rest of us $40 or so each to cover them....and they WORK with the person whose celebration it was. Must have been awkward on Monday.

I also know someone who can't drive and never, ever seems to offer shuttle money.
I thought this was the tightarse thread but it seems to be devolving into the "cheapskate asshole" thread.

Not that these stories aren't interesting.

My mate was telling me his (at the time) fiance would go out to lunch with all her friends and they would all do the "oops forgot my purse", on several occasions. I would put up with that for about 2 seconds. But being a uni student most of my mates understand I don't have bulk cash.

My work is a massive tightarse, we had a huge batch of cheese and spinach roles that were placed in a too hot oven, so the cheese melted too far too fast and oozed out the side, making the tubular roles basically flat c shaped pastry with cheese everywhere. We picked up every single one, stuffed its cheese back in and packed it away. In the end they actually looked pretty alright, but I still think it was just cheap, and it took 2 people over an hour to repack about 17 dozen, which should normally take all of about 7 minutes.

Does anyone else drive 10 minutes to dan murphy's to save 3 dollars on a carton of beer? Its the principal dammit!

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
When I was a kid my Mum used to collect all the little bits of soap and then make one big ball of soap out of it.

I hated that.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
When I was a kid my Mum used to collect all the little bits of soap and then make one big ball of soap out of it.

I hated that.
I am guilty of sticking the last bit of the old soap onto the new bar of soap. But a great big ball of leftover soap? That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
Look Im more than happy to shout mates on occasions, helping out one another.

But I have wayyyyyy to many mates who are just beyond ridiculous.
One of the cases, would be when a friend of mine took another mate to a downhill race, a couple of hours away.
Fuel would of cost him $50+ and he was offered only $5..
The same guy will order food with the group, then never offer to pay.

I have another mate that will constantly tell me that I owe him a few dollars, even though I drive him around all the time..

Oh and even today, parents asked me to mow the lawn, so I had to go to the servo and get fuel, they then cracked it at me for asking for $15 fuel money..

I will honestly admit that I am in fact a tight arse when it comes to certain things, even though all I do these days is work.

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh and even today, parents asked me to mow the lawn, so I had to go to the servo and get fuel, they then cracked it at me for asking for $15 fuel money..

I will honestly admit that I am in fact a tight arse when it comes to certain things, even though all I do these days is work.
Do they make you pay rent and utilities?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
I am guilty of sticking the last bit of the old soap onto the new bar of soap. But a great big ball of leftover soap? That just sounds like more trouble than it's worth.
sounds like a bacteria farm to me...eeew.

my MIL re-uses the aluminium foil she covers the food with to keep dinner warm while she's dishing up. i'll wash up and re-use ziploc bags tho...i guess we all have our tightarse ways.

tc2233

Likes Dirt
When i go clubbing i bring a flask with me and go and drink it in the toilets.
I dont pay for train tickets because i have worked out how to go through those ticket barrier things at train stations without tickets.
I drive in neutral to save fuel when driving down hills.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
I dont pay for train tickets because i have worked out how to go through those ticket barrier things at train stations without tickets.
How does that save fuel?

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Some Modern EFI cars sense deceleration and stop using fuel if the throttle isn't being depressed. It doesn't use much more fuel than idling even if your car doesnt have that feature. Unless its a Carby.

brindog

Likes Dirt
Some Modern EFI cars sense deceleration and stop using fuel if the throttle isn't being depressed. It doesn't use much more fuel than idling even if your car doesnt have that feature. Unless its a Carby.
someone who's tight enough do drop it into neutral wouldn't splash out on a fancy car that does that. haha!!

jrewing

Eats Squid
I used to do that on big hills on freeways cause my car went faster in neutral then it could going all out

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
A guy at work had a Subaru that was overheating at high speed (sure sign of a blocked radiator) rather than pay the $110 to have the radiator serviced he jusry rigged a heater core into the cooling system to try & fix it. It didnt.

He earns just over 100k a year......

Knut

Troll hunter
I used to know a person with a good job who slept in his van in a CBD carpark during the week so he avoided travel/accomm expenditure. Does that count?